1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making vs Buying

Jul 4, 2016

1. I would say making is my thing. That way you can have exactly what you want style and design wise. That being said i am still very new to making things so it can be frustrating have low skill but wanting high skill items, if that makes sense.

2. With wigs, eyes, and shoes, I buy, though i'd like to learn to make shoes. One of my dolls has a pair of felt boots I made. I make almost all their clothes, accessories and props. It's cheaper than buying things, and there's a feeling of accomplishment when something turns out well. My sewing and tailoring skills have improved a lot from making them clothes. Though I could still be better.

Clothes fit them better if I can adjust what I'm making to better fit the doll they're for. Something that sort of fits but is really too big was good enough when I was little, but now I'd much rather have their clothes fit properly!

#82 Leo Pheonix, Sep 4, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    3. I 100% prefer making. I always want my dolls to be 100% customized, and i have a lot of fun designing clothes and different looks for them. when i was a kid i really wanted to be a fashion designer so i can like vicariously live my childhood dreams lol.

however when i completely suck at making something, ill buy it. or if i see an artist i want to support. theres a lot of adorable handmaid bjd clothes on etsy.

4. I really like shopping for doll things, it's actually fun to shop for clothes and jewelry, which I have no interest in doing for myself. ;-)

5. Making! The creativity and sense of accomplishment of it is super rewarding! Also because of the money, I always try to save as much as I can xD

However, there are things like the eyes or the doll itself that I buy because I don't know how to do it yet.

6. I definitely prefer making to buying. There's a real sense of accomplishment that comes along with it. With every piece I make, be it clothes or wigs, I feel like I'm getting a bit better at it. I've been looking a lot into making eyes and shoes lately, so that may be the next thing I take a whack at. It also tends to be a bit cheaper too, in my opinion. I might find something that fits my design for a character almost perfectly in a store, but it'll cost somewhere between $20 and $50 when the fabric or materials might cost about $15, and I might already have what I need.
      That doesn't mean I don't buy things though. If I like it enough or its something too hard to make on my own I'll buy it.

7. I prefer to made my own clothing for the dolls. Some of them have difficult shapes to buy for. Designing and making clothes is a big part of the hobby for me

8. personally when it comes to doll clothes and props and furniture i would much prefer to make it as i then know that money and time im spending on that its going to fit my doll rather than me buying something and it being too small or way too big for them.

9. well... with the piles of scrap fabric just lying about the house, the seamstress in me just had to make things for my dolls. it's more fun to make, as i can personalize them to my liking.

however, i can't make everything though. i still have to buy wigs & shoes since i can't make them, yet...

#89 sureya, Sep 9, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    10. If it's not painting my dolls, I relish whenever I can buy something for them I want because I really do not like sewing. I feel like a one trick pony when it comes to crafting, I can paint and that's pretty much it. It's a rather funny thing because my dolls usually end up as nudists or only have the one outfit, because silly me I always fall for dolls that aren't anywhere close to a standard size people sew for!

11. I love creating, painting and sewing for them. I do like to buy from time to time as well. Eyes, wigs and shoes are something I can't make myself so will gladly shell out the money for those things.

12. I love making things but I also buy stuff when I don't have the skill (shoes, eyes) or when the materials would be too costly to round up. Making things is my preference but it's also nice to wait for packages in the mail.

13. making! the fun of customizing lies in the making to me. I would not really like to wait for something and just put it on my bjd. But making things feels more original to me.

14. I don't have time so I prefer Buying :sweat

15. I'm a bit of both. if i'm real desperate for a certain style and i cant find it ill try my best to make it. for clothes i make a lot of things but they never fit my character ;_;
      but if i see something online for a reasonable price of course im gonna slam that paypal button
      SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY YOU TALENTED PEOPLE!

16. Some dolls, I almost exclusively make things for (looking at my souldoll girl). It's just plain annoying to find clothes that fit and not really worth it. I can sew, and the size is practical for hand sewing and machine sewing, so I may as well make it. Plus, she needs very specific wig colors and alpaca fibre just happens to naturally come in that color.

Other dolls (looking at my momonita), it's convenient and inexpensive (generally) to shop for her. She wears barbie clothes, mostly, and I've lucked out on wigs. I can't make shoes anyway, even my souldoll girl makes do with storebought shoes. In the end, almost everything she gets is storebought.

Basically, if it's easier to buy it and guarantee good results, I'll do that. If making it is likely to save time, money, and frustrations, I'll take that approach instead.

17. Tbh I like buying and making, I made a few felted toys for my msd so far and love it I try sewing though I'm not the best but learning, but at the same time I love the convince of buying things especially when its a complicated piece or just something useful and easier to buy (like a dress with a great pattern, to mini cups or wigs)

18. I'm a maker I make all the clothing and wigs and I do the face ups too I want to make eyes one day too.

19. At the moment I’m buying, but I would love to pick up some of the skills needed to make things

20. The majority of my doll's stuff is made by me, but not the dolls themselves. There are so many options out there, so I really see no need to make one myself. I have tried and finished a complete doll, but it does not live up to my standards. Therefore, he is just lying somewhere doing nothing. What a waste of Apoxie!

Whenever I can, I buy things. But as my crew's requirements are very specific, I make most of it myself. Luckily, I really do enjoy it.