1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making vs Buying

Jul 4, 2016

1. I do buy things, but I adore crafting, so the majority of their clothes and a number of their small props are handmade.

2. Make. Not the doll (I haven't got the confidence for that...or modding) but clothes definitely and I'm looking forward to having a go at making some wigs. I never seem to be able to find anything that really speaks to me otherwise. A lot of the clothes to buy are..really fiddly or too basic for my tastes or just don't suit the style of my characters.

3. I love to make things for my crew and it saves money so I can get more crew! Lol but seriously, shoes have never been my strong point and I'm still learning how to make eyes, so those are things I'll buy. Stockings too, cause I can never find the right material and my machine eats anything that's too sheer.

4. I feel like I’ve been tiptoeing around making my own stuff. I think I’m afraid to do a bad job and not do my dolls justice. They’re beautiful so they should have beautiful things! But I am starting to get the feeling that I am capable of more than I think I am. I don’t think I’ll be tackling making wigs, shoes, or eyes any time soon but I do want to try making clothing or props!

I don’t think I’ll ever be fully weaned off buying outfits though. There are some great creators with awesome vision and owning stuff by them is a joy :)

5. A mix of both! I buy items that are a little trickier to make like eyes, wigs, and shoes, but I'm a cosplayer and have tons of scrap fabric around to make clothes from. I've always liked miniatures even as a kid, so the smaller scale is fun for me (and it means less wasted material if I really goof something up haha)

6. Crafting for my dolls is my favorite part of the hobby. I love to make wigs and eyes,and I'm starting to get into sewing a lot more. But there are some things I haven't learned how to make yet,like shoes and updo wigs,and that's when I have to go shopping.

7. For the time being....until I build up my skills enough to create great work, I'll be purchasing things like wigs, outfits, eyes, and props. I hope to eventually learn how to sew to make my own garments, and have been experimenting with wigmaking and eyes.

So...I prefer to make things myself, but will be buying stuff I don't feel confident in making myself yet.

8. I would like like to craft if I have time to learn ><. A lots of skills required time and practices. Like making clothes, eyes and wigs. So buying is my only options now.

9. I always buy wigs, clothes and shoes. Also bought eyes, but recently I start to make eyes.
      And I'm very lucky because my job is doll face up artist, so I don't need to wait for their face-up:3nodding:

10. Depends - as much as I love making things, I am overcritical to everything I make, so sometimes is just easier to buy them and be happy than create and see all the small and sometimes even non-existent mistakes.
      I guess I'll be making things which aren't available for my dolls, but I will gladly buy things I like and someone makes them. That includes face ups - I'll rather pay someone skilled to do it for me than to be bugged that it doesn't look perfect. (I am able to overlook other peoples mistakes, but cannot stand mine.)

11. It's split for me.

When it comes to eyes, I definitely prefer making them myself. I also prefer making wigs myself, but I haven't put the time aside to make my Raspberry a wig just yet. I've made wigs for other people since getting her, though, so it's not just me being lazy at least!

For clothing and shoes, I absolutely prefer buying them. I'm at the stage of my life where I have more money than time, and I'd prefer what free time I do have to be spent doing crafting projects I actually enjoy. For me, sewing is less of a fun activity and more of a last resort when I can't find what I'm looking for.

Face-ups are hands down buying only. :lol: I didn't spend $600 on a doll just to botch it with my horrible painting skills!!

12. I make MOST of their clothes, but lately I've also been finding good stuff already made that's perfect for them. From wine bottle sweaters that make perfect Christmas outfits, to buying one of my yo-sd girls a new Momoko wardrobe because she looks way too cute in their clothes. I bought my yo-sd boy a bunch of Ken clothes because I don't make boy clothes that well and I've only really made him a few things because the Ken clothes I bought fit him perfectly.

I found a great faux leather jacket online in an outfit set with ripped jeans and a tank top. The pants didn't fit my boy well, but one of my girls looks GREAT in her jeans.

I also crochet things I normally would buy, if I can't find it myself for a decent price (or as of late... scammed) I wound up downloading an Ellowyne WIlde crochet pattern for a bikini and modified it to make panties for my girls and I used the same bikini top pattern to make bra's cause I couldn't justify spending a ton of money on something I wouldn't photograph them in, except to show I had it. I plan on using the same pattern to make swimwear in the summer too.

Most of the time I prefer to make over buy, unless I absolutely can't. But if I really want to and the price is right, into the shopping cart it goes.

13. As a poor person, as well as an artist/crafter who's bored with how a lot of the merchandise available out there looks exactly the same, I tend to make everything.

Unless it's shoes. I tried to make shoes once, and wow. No.

14. I opt to buy and commission folks for clothes, accessories, shoes, etc. I have had more positive experiences than negative ones while buying, so I don't mind it.

If/When I ever more time to dedicate to hobbies, I would definitely try my hand at making things, though!

15. I buy shoes. Cobbling is too hard.

I started making resin eyes because I always feel like $30-$50 for eyes that just have glitter and sequins in the iris is too much and I buy a lot of glitter for my other crafts anyway. I don't like making eyes with pupils that much. Can never center it nice so I buy those.

I sew a lot because I am picky about historical clothing. But I love Freedom Teller as well. That is the level of tailoring I will pay for. My own tailoring needs to get there some day.

All my wigs are custom. I prefer angora, alpaca, and viscose over synthetic hair these days and always want styles that show the hairline so it needs to custom fit my doll exactly so I just need to do it myself.

16. I prefer to buy because my sewing leaves things to be desired. . . but if something I want is way out of my price range or I cannot find exactly what I want I will usually try to sew it. I am actually working on a vest and 'cloak' for my IOS's Ancient Magus cosplay right now.

17. Buy:

* Doll
      * Wig (if it's mean to be silky looking, or natural in color)
      * Shoes
      * Super awesome clothing items that are better than what I can make

Make:

* Accessories
      * Most clothing
      * Occasional wigs

I hope to eventually make a doll with my own two hands, and I'd love to be skilled enough to eventually make something like a pair of shoes, but for now, the reality is that I'm not there yet.

18. I've bought a few, but I'll make my next ones

19. I make their clothes and just started making eyes (which I love!) but buy wigs and shoes :)

20. I'm not very crafty at all -- but I like supporting talented artists so I don't mind having to buy doll things.