1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Manly Men or Gentle Boys doll preference?

Mar 6, 2019

1. Hard lean toward the "gentle boys" side here, myself. I have a preference for androgynous males in general and my OCs reflect this to a degree. I do have one (1) who's a bit more on the masculine side of things with his slightly sharper features, and that's made things a little tricky when looking for a MSD to shell him so he'll match my other boys in height. There's plenty of SD sculpts that would suit him, but alas, those are too big for me to be able to comfortably tote around haha.

2. It depends. In general, I don't like the super manly faces for dolls and prefer the let's call it 'bishounen-look'
      But depending on the character I have in mind, I would also lean towards a more manly face, but not overly wide jaw structure if that makes sense?

3. Firstly, great topic. XD Its always fun to answer these types of questions and fairly interesting to read about others preference too.
      Well, if one would happen to see my dolls in person they could easily tell that I have a preference for manly-looking BJD.. but believe it or not, cute looking boys used to be my eye candy. About nine years ago before I started into the hobby, the first male BJD that caught my attention was Crobidoll Zion, which I ended up never buying because I was still a student back then living off my parents. I could remember telling myself I would buy him as my first doll when I finally land a job, but I never expected my preference to have drastically changed in which I ended up going for Ringdoll Sol.

4. You know, I posted this and I ended up getting neither a manly man nor a gentle boy. I got a pretty girl.

5. I tend to prefer the more mature guy sculpts but some of my favorite guy dolls have been the younger looking ones. My biggest bias is I really like mature “age” dolls as a whole so even when I get smaller dolls I like them to look mature. Typically this limits my guy dolls to the bigger scale sd dolls but I have been considering getting a dollshe fashion line boy to go with my minifees. I do not like the look of the minifee boys but I do love my feeple60 boy. However I do think I would enjoy the smaller dollshe guys.

6. I definitely prefer more masculine sculpts, though I don't have any boys; nor do I really want one. xD But yes, if I had to pick they have to be the kind that wouldn't be mistaken for a girl doll; LOL.

7. I'm sure there will be a day when I need both, but for the part it's manly men (which is hard to find in the 1/4th scale) or rather male dolls that don't look like children because I don't really have children characters.

8. For me, it's character dependent. I have some that are sleekly muscled (Dollshe) and some that are serious gym-rat bodies (Iple, Granado, etc). Some have almost no muscle definition at all. Some are between the two extremes. Of course this all means that I have literally dozens of ever so slightly different patterns to accommodate all these body shapes. For faces, I have stylized boys as well as more realistic sculpts to some that are pure fantasy and couldn't be mistaken for anything remotely human (Argonautica Little Kio, Akhmel Nathan, Miracle Doll Snake demon). Again, it's what the character demands that is what I buy.

I have 2 that sort of mess with a person's expectations as their faces are very soft/gentle looking but their bodies are muscled, 6-pack abs. But, that's also part of their character as well. Oleander is an assassin in the Immortal Army. He's very out and has definite feminine leanings in his face and choice of colours/clothes. But his body is all muscle because of what he does for a living. Khale has a very soft/gentle face and prefers pastel colours, white or black clothes in flowing ancient Chinese/Japanese/Korean inspired styles. His body is muscled because of military training he went through when he was a teen and just kept up the exercise regime.

9. I greatly prefer more 'realistic' style masculine sculpts, but if theres a nice faceup on a prettyboy type one, it can really win me over. Like, for example, I LOVE Doll Zone's Carter, with the default faceup on the one eye closed version.

10. I'm definitely a member of the "Gentle Boys" Club ♡

I do prefer a cool bishounen kind of vibe over a straight babyface though. I adore the korean boyband aesthetic of most Switch dolls for example (and I'm not even into K-Pop x'D) But I like when they're cool but soft - does that make sense!? xD

#90 Sasha of the Crows, Jul 29, 2019
      Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    11. I love pretty boys ... even my older looking males always end up being very slim/androgynous sculpts. I think I prefer them because of years of anime watching, or maybe because they have a bit more versatility in terms of being able to wear both masculine and feminine style

12. Both?
      Both.
      Both is good.

If could post any gif on this website I swear it would be this one! XD

I don't have a lot of funds for this hobby so softer looking male dolls always appealed to me because I felt I could dress them up in a sweet style fashion. The more manly men models can make for a super-model looking androgyny which I also find really fantastic. Basically I like both, and I don't like to be pinned in by style or gender-norms is what I think I'm trying to get at albeit in a crazily round-about way.

13. I prefer the more softer, teen style dolls when it comes to more masculine sculpts. The muscles and highly defined features on male dolls are a huge turn off for me

14. I am really addicted to adult masculine dolls like Ringdoll because they are fitting perfect for my story characters but since I saw the Fairyland male motion line O found a mad body I love sadly the headsculpt doesn't fit my aesthetic.

15. I personally prefer mature bishonen type men. Ultra masculine faces are kinda squicky for me... but at the same time so are really young babyface types. I prefer them to look like adults, but... pretty. Slim jaw, high cheekbones, etc. I also think it's partially due to anime influence. If you know yaoi, then I prefer more the stereotypical cool bishie seme look than the stereotypical cute uke look.

16. I've always been a sucker for pretty boys. The prettier, the better. The bodybuilder/musclebound/hypermasculine sort of guy has never been a turn-on for me.

17. I like both, I just prefer them to look more on the realistic side.

18. I love both types, but I buy only sweet boys. I really admire big masculine guys, but they're too heavy for me and I don't feel comfortable holding them, so I prefer watching the photos of muscular bjd men and keeping cute boys.

19. I like both? Haha, I mean I really like Soom Idealians cause they have gentle/cute faces but it's also masculine. I think I lean more to manlier bjd sculpts, in that broad shoulders and athleticism is shown on the body sculpt, and that it's not too thin/lean.

20. I generally like both though lately I’ve been looking at more realistic mature male sculpts. I think a good mix of both is nice to have though.