1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

mature 1/8 dolls

Jul 21, 2019

1. I know they have their own dedicated thread, but I'm wondering if Merrydoll Round's 22cm pygmy line would qualify as mature 1/8 dolls? They look like they'd also fit right in with the rest of the dolls in this thread.

2. I think they're mature 1/8 dolls. I have one, and she's too small to fit 1/6 furniture and accessories, but looks fine with my rement food and dishes, which tend to be 1/8 scale.

I also calculated her height based on a height of 6ft, and she's definitely 1/8 scale according to that.

3. I just ordered DZ Eugenia, she's sooo cute and I just can't wait to get her! :whee:
      But since she's so tiny I can't seem to find any clothes nor wigs that fit her. I'll probably make my own clothes eventually, but I'd like a store-bought wig at least. Does anyoby know where to buy wigs in that size?

4. My doll is Lilia from Luenheim, they seem to be out of business now sadly but I recently got her secondhand. She's only 20 cm tall. I'd love to meet even one other person who owns this doll because I have not found any yet!

I think her sculpt is so sweet! She has the cutest nose.

[updated] I'm trying some playline doll clothes on her since she's close to the size of some slimmer dolls, but shorter. She fits monster high stuff in the torso but it's pretty snug. Ever after high dresses fit her very nicely, not sure how pants would be, but who wants to wear those? I got a blythe dress that was pretty big for her but it works after I took it in at the back. Some old barbie skirts kind of work but sit low on her hips. She also fits quite nicely in an old family-handmade dress that I think was for skipper. I'm curious to try Licca and Azone XS stuff for her in the future. I was worried that she would be hard to shop for since she's a less common BJD size, but it seems there are lots of options!

[​IMG]

(I need to order or make another wig for her cause the first 2 I tried did not work out) :|

#24 eldi, Jan 21, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    5. Are there faceup artists who specialize in/are known for work on mature tinies? I figure it might be something that not everyone who works on SD and MSD is into, necessarily

6. I've loved this size since 1961, when I got an 8" Betsy McCall doll. Since then I've had a Blue Fairy pocket fairy on the sugar body; Auruna, Belina, and Feline from MaskCat; and Ivy and Eugenia from Dollzone.

7. How close to "mature" qualifies? Other bjds that fit the "slender 1/8 tiny" category but are not adult shape would be CustomHouse BisouAI, Orientdoll Joong size, and the Elfdoll Hana/Doona tinies. All three are unfortunately no longer made, but you can sometimes find them second-hand. I found that Only Hearts Club clothing fit them fairly well, as did some Bratz clothing. Most fit in the 25-27mm Blythe shoes.

Here's an ancient comparison, before PKFs were a thing...Photobucket's change in policy unfortunately killed a lot of the comparison photos on the threads here.
      [​IMG]
      Smaller doll comparison
      by clochette62, on Flickr

8. @daftpatience Your dollhouse is so cute! Was your strategy to just "bring down the ceiling" to achieve the smaller scale? The lofted bed looks great - I want an apartment like that :kitty2

I have been trying to create a roombox for a tiny doll I'm sculpting, and it's not been easy to figure out if my scale is actually correct... I was going for a 1/12th doll (She's about 16-17 cm), but looking at all the 1/12th furniture on the internet makes it seem (maybe deceptively?) small in comparison to my sweet tiny girl. I wish stores would open up again so I could take her on a trip to the model train store just to do some fit tests :XD:

From the way you all describe the 1/8th size though as 18-22cm... maybe my girl did actually end up being 1/12th!

BTW are any of you familiar with raysvet dolls? She's on IG as well ... I submitted her dolls for review to be on-topic, so fingers crossed!

9. I looove Raysvet's dolls. They are actually about 16-18cm ish to my knowledge, so they're around the same size as your doll. There's a few images on insta under her tag with her dolls in 1/12 doll houses. They do look a little large. With 1/12 scale, 1 inch = 1 foot, so 17cm is like 6.69 inches, or about the size of a 7ft person in that scale, which makes them look a bit tall but not too bad. Zjakazumi who also makes 1/12 scale BJD dolls (unsure if they're on-topic either, so just using them as an example here) makes them to more realistic proportions in that scale and they're about 14-15cm, so 5-6ft in 1/12 scale.

I'd suggest looking into maybe 1/10 scale? But 1/8 scale might work too. I think 1/8 scale furniture is easier to find than 1/10 scale. I highly recommend Bentley House Minis' video on understanding dollhouse scale for more info on how to work out scales.

10. @theplushfrog Thanks so much for your response here - a lot of what you've written is SUPER helpful. I actually just recently had an instance where someone referred to a 1" scale dollhouse, and when I clarified with them they said it was 1/12th. Knowing why that is (as you said, in 1/12th 1in-1ft) is pretty cool/helpful.

I'll take a look at the hashtags for the raysvet dolls to see just what the difference looks to be. Great idea. I do have a couple of her dolls, but no dollhouse for them yet, so again have just kind of been guessing. But yeah, they're a little daintier than the lady I'm making, so if they're pushing the limit a little bit on sizing, you might be right that my girl might look real slick in a 1/8th scene :)

Thanks again!

11. @maxxxamillion I'm glad my random knowledge of dollhouse miniatures has come into handy with BJDs and been able to help, lol. I'm pretty bad with fractions so I can't help with the math, but it's good stuff to know when working with the smaller scale dolls.

Also, to keep this strictly on-topic, I just impulse bought a NS Doll Leaves Laura on the secondhand market, and I'm so excited. She'll be shipping out today or tomorrow. I have no clothing, wigs, or eyes that will fit her :sweat but I can't wait to get her!

12. @theplushfrog I bought a Laura last week as well and am in a similar boat. Nothing clothes-wise this size but very eager to get into it!

13. @nomanono are they too big for other doll clothes, like barbie or etc.? ... or are you looking for some more kind of elegant/other styles?

14. I hope this posts, I haven't tried to share a photo before on DoA...

@maxxxamillion My Laura just arrived, so here's a comparison to a curvy barbie, my apologies for not removing clothing but the size difference really says it all. My Laura is wearing a barbie skirt as a dress--the elastic waist is tight enough it doesn't fall off her chest or her waist, but it completely swamps her with fabric.

[​IMG]

Poking around with measurements and eying the difference between Laura and my other dolls, I THINK Azone Pure Neemo XS/S clothes might fit properly.. or more properly. Which are also the same size as Ruruko dolls wear apparently. So I'm ordering some of those to see. If they don't fit her, I have another tiny coming they might fit, so no harm done.

Laura is absolutely precious. I shouldn't have impulsively bought her, but I'm so in love and glad I don't regret my purchase.

15. @theplushfrog Thanks for sharing - this is really demonstrative. It's so weird to think how many times (literally so recently) I've stopped and looked at barbies in the store and didn't quite realize that 11.5in/30cm is actually kind of a big doll. You're right. The picture says it all.

I'm bopping around on the doll leaves website and see that Laura comes up in their special edition section. It really just isn't super typical for artists/companies to make these kinds of sizes, huh? :sweat At this point I'll be the first to admit that sculpting and designing the joints for a doll this small is like... *really* hard, but since doll leaves has design the body once and it looks successful, I'm surprised they don't have a little larger category with this size.

Let me know how the clothing order goes. I'm really curious. Sewing that small is hard but not impossible, so I'll be curious to see what kind of quality you get at that scale in clothing as well.

(Also, it's my belief that if an impulsive purchase does bring you great joy, it was very worth it. Glad you're happy!)

16. [​IMG]
      Tried some Blythe overalls on Lilia, the shirt is baggy but it can be "the look". I like how detailed Blythe clothing tends to be, so I'm glad she kinda fits it.

I'm thinking of getting a doll leaves Laura so she can have a 1/8 friend, they look like a similar level of stylization and have some similar measurements, so hopefully they would look cohesive together! I was hoping that I could pose her with my new 28cm MYOU doll and they would just look like a tall and short person, but it totally does not work out :doh Kind of a bummer but I love both dolls and both styles, I just feel obligated now to buy a second doll in each scale so no one is lonely :...(

17. @eldi Oh man she's ADORABLE! I want a a little 20cm tall crew, and wish it wasn't hard to find this size of doll. I'm still waiting on the various clothing I ordered to come so I can see what fits my Laura--only thing I can say is that Novi Stars clothing doesn't fit (not that anyone thought it might) lol, as another project of mine came in the mail and I was very amused by how Laura is just a LITTLE taller than my new Novi Stars doll.

18. Hey all, I wanted to ask a couple kind of open-ended purchasing questions... since this is the most specifically interested group in tiny dolls it seems on the internet, I'm hoping maybe you all have some thoughts or insights on expectations for tiny dolls....

I'm curious for one, if when you buy the super tinies, if you are expecting to receive accessories and clothes with them by default since they are indeed challenging to find clothing for? Or do you still prefer to accessorize on your own?

And if you do find tinies that you are interested in, do you already have set expectations about how much you're willing to pay for these size dolls? I'd just be interested to hear if people do think there's a correlation between height and price specifically, or if there are other factors that affect the perception of value for a size of doll that is less widely available/created in general.

19. For the specific dolls I bought, part of the appeal was that I knew they could share clothes with widely available playline doll clothes. So I haven't gone for a full set, but I would only if I particularly liked the clothes or it was a doll with unusual proportions that I didn't think would fit anything else.

If a tiny doll had a price that's more typical for a 1/3, I would probably not be interested, but I just prefer stuff at a lower price point for my collection.

20. I don't expect to receive any extras with a BJD unless its sold as a full set or has the option to buy clothes/wig/eyes with it. for example, I paid a little extra so my full-set Fairyland Toki would come with the special eyes. Getting glass eyes with a doll is often an unexpected addition for me. My 1/8 doll, a DZ human Wendy, wore hers for quite a while before I decided the dark swirly ones suited her better. I recently got a pair of Middie Blythe size leggings for a different doll, but they fit my Kaimana (DZ Wendy) better, so they're hers now.

I'm not willing to pay BJD prices for a doll smaller than a Real Puki, and am not interested in any more dolls smaller than an 11cm Puki Puki.