1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Meetups and ... theft? (also, other meetup questions)

Jan 4, 2007

1. Most doll meets seem to be a handful of people, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I wouldn't bring more dolls than you can keep track of, but I tend to trust people as well. I think it's different whether the meetup is being held in a public place (and how busy that area is), or at someone's home.

2. I'm also very paranoid but I only go to Anime/Comic/Sci-Fi conventions(I-con anyone? :D) and I definatley don't ant to lose my darling there, but it seems like more likely people would steal from vendors than other people. Also I remember at I-con when a girl's Gara plush got stolen and half the Con pounced on the theif, and tat's over a PLUSH so just keep an eye out and only trust your resin babe with people who you trust and know the value of the doll.

3. Urushi-kitty: I haven't gotten to I-con since they switched from Stony Brook to the other campus. How's this campus for the walking distances/hauling a doll around (my Nigel went a couple of years ago in his FMA uniform and met one of the American voice artists).

I've taken my dolls to a one-hotel convention many times (Lunacon), but usually one one leaves the room at a time. That's for my comfort, really, and taking pictures. In a fully public space like the one we hold the NYC doll meets, it does pay to bring only a couple of SDs, or the equivalent mass in minis and tinies. But still we have to keep our eyes open, since "civilians" will often come in for closer looks.

The only (thankfully) few actual cases of theft I've heard of were at a Florida meet (not in a public place) and at one of the NY Dolpas -- at a hotel lobby, I believe, where someone (not a doll-owner) snatched up a doll and headed to the door. (And I remember hearing he was stopped and the doll recovered.) However, the dolls stolen that time FROM the dolpa displays-- has anyone ever heard anything further about them?

In general, if you bring a doll somewhere, WATCH the doll. Don't leave it there and go off to buy lunch/hit an ATM/see a presentation, etc., unless you have friends -- WILLING friends if you're going to be gone for awhile -- to keep watch over it. And don't just assume other people will do that without you asking!

4. i never had any problems at meets.
      no one took my dolls (ppl dont even HOLD it without asking). last meet a left my new camera on the table. no one took it. nor the cellphone in my bag or anything ^^ i even left my boys with the other owners when i went to get ice cream.
      the persons at the meets where i go are very nice

5. I don't think we've ever had anything stolen at the meets I've gone to. We're a pretty responsible bunch and will take care of other people's dolls if say they're sitting in the sun unattended so I can't see anyone stealing people's dolls even if someone (LOL ME) kidnaps a doll for most of the meet up to see how it poses, etc :'D Half the time I put my dolls down and walk away cause I trust my fellow owners to take care of them though I'll look over to make sure they're alright periodically.

6. Every meet-up I've been to has been full of wonderful and amazing people :3 I personally have never had a problem with things being stolen.