1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini-me! A doll just like you...

Apr 15, 2007

1. I wouldn't want a doll that looked just like me. I think it would be a bit weird. Also, I like the idea of giving dolls character...making one that looked just like me, well, what other character could I give it? :lol:

So no, no mini-mes for me.

Although the idea of making memoirs of your children is a cute idea. Better than bronzing their shoes like my mom did mine. ^^

2. If I could afford it, I'd want dolls of myself and my wife in tiny versions of our wedding outfits.

I haven't shared this idea with her, though, and I suspect she'd be more creeped-out than charmed.

3. I was walking around Hershey Park this weekend along with my sister and there were this group of very pretty looking boys...so after they were out of earshot Britt blurts out "THEY WOULD MAKE GREAT BJDS!"
      My question to DOA...ever thought a person would look great as a doll?

4. Check out this thread and you'll see some real people that HAVE been turned into dolls:

MiniMee

Edit: Ack, this was a response to a new thread that was merged.

5. Now that DIM are offering to make mini-me of pretty much anybody you want to have a doll of, I've been thinking about that.

And there is somebody I believe would make a great doll. He's a guy I've talked to a couple of times, but I don't really know him all that well. I'm not in love with him or anything; the reason I would like a doll of him is simply that I think his looks would translate well to the BJD aesthetic, and I would love to have an MSD boy with slightly more mature, realistic features.

I would feel weird commissioning a doll of him without asking him, though, and I would never ask him because... How would that look?! He happens to be the drummer of my favorite band, so I would come across like a raving fangirl!

6. I would do someone I love...but not myself, coz I dont like myself

7. Ahh, Sounds good to me too! XD He's so cute! Kon!

But for seriously, I'd totally get one of me done if I had some free cash which I don't at the moment...

I'm pretty narcissistic though... I would have so much fun dressing me up like me and costumes that I wouldn't be caught dead in. *loves frilly lolita but I think I'd look like a complete idiot in it. 8D~ *dork*

8. Haha, I'd imagine so if she isn't into BJDs. Its a cute idea though!

9. That's a really cute idea. o_o I would do it if I was married. (far from getting married XD)

I kinda like the idea. :3 I was tempted to get a mini me. Personally, I'd like to get three of them and do them as myself and my two closest friends. XD (One has been friend with me 6 years and the other 14 years)

10. I am doing a comission for a friend of mine who wants me to mod a head, make a body, make a wig, and paint/dress the finished doll to look like her. So I suppose it isn't that strange at all. This exists outside of BJD, too, (i.e. ventriloquist dummies made to resemble their "partner" and plesant company makes american girl dolls with the skin/eyes/hair specified to look like the owner) So, considering the realism and possibilities for mods in this type of doll, it seems like a very good idea and would appeal to many people.

11. I'd much rather have a doll made to look like Johnny Depp...or someone else.

Because Johnny Depp vs. Me? Yeah...gonna have to go with Johnny winning in the looks, personality, and over all life departments...:sweat

12. No way!

I dress my doll up in the colors and clothing styles that I can't pull off, which is why I never buy any casual wear for her.

13. i agree that it would be creepy. it seems a little crazy to buy a doll that looks just you, when there are so many more dolls to choose from.

14. I don’t but American Girl dolls use to make dolls that looked just like you. Of course they weren’t BJD but still I remember at some point wanting one, thankfully I didn’t (also at the time they were very expensive for my family and mom parents didn’t want to spend that much for a doll).

But i don’t think I’d ever do that. Maybe my piercings but to actually make them look like me…well that would kind of creep me out and then I would feel weird taking her around lol

15. I probably wouldn't make a doll to look like me but maybe I would make one to look like my three youngest brothers.

16. I wouldn't go out of my way to make a doll look like me but if by some chance one of my characters resembled me I wouldn't go out of my way to make them not look like me either...

17. Oh, this is a fun topic. I would have a doll that would act like me. Not look like me, since I liked msd's or 1/4 size bjds I would just make her have my personality but not my appearance or physical description

18. It seems a little weird, but I am kind of interested. I would probably treat it as more of a daughter than another version of myself. But, doll features are usually more. . .dollish? I don't know, the proportions and the facial features are generally shaped very different from their owners. It's be cool to see how people would work around that.

19. Would I ever get a doll that looks just like me? Or buy one with the intent of making it look as close to me as possible? Absolutely not.

However, I have noticed that a lot of BJD owners look like their BJDs! I am sure this is not a conscious decision on anyone's part, and it obviously does not hold true for everyone, but I do believe people are generally attracted to characteristics with which they share a similarity. Also, I see a lot of dolls who, while they don't physically resemble their owners, have other important stylistic choices in common (i.e. choice of clothing, character development).

So, while I doubt many of us would ever intentionally make a BJD that looks exactly like us, we are sometimes very clearly present in our dolls!

20. I recently cut my hair and my sister said that I was starting to resemble my doll. Especially since we were both wearing t-shirts for the same band. It doesn't really bother me as that particular character is an OC I've had for more than a decade.

I don't think I'd ever get a doll made to resemble someone I knew in meatspace, but I can think of a few actors who I wouldn't mind having in doll form.