1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini-sized furniture and props discussion

Mar 27, 2005

1. Yeah, American Girl dolls are 18" and MSDs are usually 16". So... yeah, furniture and stuff is fine, but clothing is like 2x too big for them... width and height-wise. If you go to Michael's or someplace you can see their 'rip-off' versions of american girl dolls and accessories... if you look at the clothes for them, they're like... 4-5" wide at the waist (flat), whereas MSDs are closer to 2" (flat). They're way too big for my SDs, so... for MSDs they'd be... :ablah:

Besides, for the price of an AG outfit, you could comission one that actually fits from someone on the board. :3nodding:

2. Well if you expand it to the '18 inch' catagory it opens up a lot more. The 18 doll stuff works well for both SD and MSD sizes. Not everything of course- but then that's where tose friends who collect the 18 size dolls come in handy :D

You can find a LOT of neat stuff if you find a local doll show- bring your doll and have at trying stuff on. We go to a lot of shows and have a wonderful time! So many people have never seen a BJD irl so they are excited and everyone likes ton help you find goodies that fit!

There are things like undies for the Toni type dolls that fit well and some of the 18 AG stuff fits accesory wise. Sometimes coats sweaters hats wigs etc will work- and most of the furtiture will work for someone. It depends on where you look . We have some bunk beds that are supposed to be My Twinn beds that do not fit the Twinns at all- the AG MA and comparables fit it but they are a bit stocky so the BJD work really well- the proportion is spot on. These happen to be painted pink. We also have some old wood bunk beds- probably from the early 70s or so- plain wood with little trim- and those wioll; be great for the boys. tho I think one will be Wolfies bed and the other will be a couch.

I do not have any of the FOA Shwartz 18 dolls- but the accesories for them were really too skimpy for the AG - and the FAO dolls were more petite but thier things work *really* well for the BJD. I have a whole set of Tommy Hilfiger thigs- purse walkman scooter etc- all perfect for the BJD :)

If you do a search for the May portland meet you can see the 18 inch bike and several sized dolls on it- it is pink but they come in different colors. I also have a trike for other dolls but it is pretty close size wise and I think it will be cute to get some pics of one steering and others standing on the bike :B

Chairs galore- hammocks scooters skate boards etc etc will all generally fit and bonus- they are pretty cheap both on Ebay and in local stores. throft stores are a treasure trove of smaller accesories.

Some of the fashion dolls clothing and the Kish clothing (Seasons 16 inch size) will fit SOME bjd.

We have Sharmin and she can wear the old Brenda Starr dress and a bunch of Cissy stuff will fit the mid sized BJD. I have a comparison here- I switched dresses so you can see the neckline comparison.
      [​IMG]
      That is a Cissy and a 60cm Obitsu.

Our 16 inch Tonner dolls (Jane Betsy etc) can share most things with Sharmin Elf Mill and Tiffee. I am alll about everyone sharing stuff so this all comes in handy :)

AG etc stuff will generally not fit unless it is tailored. Somethings tailor well and some do not. Magic Attic stuff is made for all vinyl slimmer body dolls- as is The FAO doll stuff and the old Idolls line- American girls have a cloth middle body (better for snuggling and carrying) so you have to take thier stuff in quite a bit- but it can be done :)

A good basic item is a skirt that has enough give to go around the chest too. Then you can belt it and make it a dress :B Fancy or plain- it's a good basic body cover that can be accessoried like crazy!

There is also a new line out called Gingerbrook Hollow- they are apx 18 inches too and thier clothes are *extremely* well made. There are not yet a lot of different kinds- but what they have is wonderful. The Ebay seamstresses make some neat things for them too. In fact I have made and sold things that fit either MSD or GBH dolls and the fit is pretty close for both. Here are pics of long past Ebay items -
      MSD and GBH-
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Hope that helps!
      QZ :)

3. Just an FYI- American Girl and Magic Attic are not affiliated. www.dollmarket.com seems to have quite a bit for Magic Attic but I don't know how their clothes fit. AG dolls are quite "chubby"...I haven't actually tried any of their clothes on my MSD.

I would think that most of the furniture would work pretty well. I only have Samantha's wicker table and chairs, a homemade version of Kirsten's trunk and Kit's rolltop desk which is the COOLEST thing ever! Well worth the money! I think BJDs look better sitting at this furniture than AGs do because AGs can't bend their legs so they look sort of silly trying to sit at a table. Right now my AR LF is sitting in the swivel chair that goes with the rolltop desk and it fits her very well.

Accessories: Personally, I have always thought a lot of the AG accessories were a bit on the small scale for AGs. Esp food items and even some of the books and pets. Most of their stuff is high quality and lasts too.

I'll see if I can't take some pics of Ami with some AG stuff this week.

4. i just recently got my first girl, evette.:aheartbea and have had my eyes constantly peeled for furniture and clothes and other things for her. i thought i might post some finding that may be helpful to others. i am not sure if a lot of people shop at ac. moore and michaels but both have small dressers that you can paint and stain that fit msd sized dolls pretty well. i also found school chairs and a bed at a c moore in their teddy bear section...the bed looks like it will fit her well but i am gonna be making one. just thought it may be helpful if someone was looking. i may post updates with instructions...if i can make the bed easily. :sweat

5. yes ac moore is great for msds... that is where I bought Amaya and Jasmins beds, and a few other great pieces of furniture. Congrats on your new baby...

6. Oooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to check at my local AC Moore and see wht they have--I mostly stay in the bead section when I go. ^^ I've seen those beds, though... they look about the right size, but I think the chairs would be better scaled for SD size.

Also! I don't know if you're looking for a chair or couch to go with your dresser find, and you've probably seen the threads about Wal-Mart and Ross, but really, check Wal-Mart. For the longest time they had jewelry boxes shaped like couches and chaise lounges. I finally broke down and bought one when they put them on sale because nobody wanted them. xD 8 bucks, and the couch is PERFECT for two MSDs. Most Wal-Marts don't have them anymore, though. ;_;

7. Oh, here's a suggestion! It won't help you in the bed department though.

Find a Pier1. They have spicedrawers and things that would make WICKED dressers for dolls. Not to mention an endless array of candleholders that could be endtables, stools, etc.

Be prepared to spend some money though 0.o(). High is the price of awesomeness.

8. hope someone finds this helpfull...in tk maxx in the UK i found some sofa & chaise lounge (or however is spelled) shaped jewellry boxes that would fit msd's perfectly! they were 7/8 pounds i think...sort of velvety/velour with silver coloured legs and 2 little cushions :) , availible in black, red or purple leopard print...

9. Actually, there are many cheap furniture options out there. I have found that looking for anything that says American Girl will work well. AG is an 18inch doll, and there are many furniture sellers that cater to 18-20 inch dolls. MSD's look quite adorable in larger furniture, but AG things are a nice fit. AG beds fit MSD's better than they do the dolls they are made for, in my opinion.
      The chairs are always just the slightest bit too tall, but I think that just makes it a better fit for a "younger" doll. Just look for anything that mentions AG dolls. I've found beds for less than ten dollars to this size.
      Good luck~~!

Kit

10. Some things work really well. The beds are perfect, but some of the chairs and tables are REALLY big. Same goes for the accessories, some are perfect, others too big.

Here's my mom's doll house, filled with AG stuff.

[​IMG]

This is here Narae 43cm next to an AG chair, Molly's summer chair I think...

[​IMG]

Here's another pic of my mom's Narin 43cm in an old AG chair with desk.

[​IMG]

11. With AG furniture it's best if you know the dimensions of the piece you are looking at. For example - beds. MSD dolls are usually 16-17 inches tall. Some AG beds are 22-24 inches long and your doll might swim in the bed. Some beds made for AG are as small as 19-20 inches long and may fit an MSD better. With chairs - some chairs sold as being for AG are as big as 14 inches high at the back! Unless the chair has an unusually high back, that will look weird with an MSD. The back of the chair would come up to their mouth when they are standing.

I have found that wood and wicker chairs that are about 10 inches tall with seat about 4.5 inches from the floor work well with my MSD, though 11 or even 12 inches tall might work if the chair was designed with a very long back. For an upholstered piece you could go with shorter if the piece is meant to have a low back.

Carolyn

12. Volks international sells several low priced chairs and sofas, all of the cheaper sofas are currently out of stock but I know they'll get restocked eventually (x = out of stock, triangle = stock running low, O = a lot in stock)~

13. supposedly dog beds are relatively good for sds, so popping by your neighbourhood petstore might yield something

14. hello all, i just brought this jewellery box from collectables in UK.
      It was on sale and it was £10, i needed a new jewellery box and it's musical, the thing is it's in the shape of a sofa!

I had a check on the volks site, it's half the size of the SD sofas but would it it a MSD?

height: 7.5in depth/length: 3.9in width(seat): 6 inches

I know it's too small for an SD so i might have to get a proper chair for an SD in the future but right now it's only for my DZ mini, would the dimension of the chair fit? here is a picture:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      this is the one i brought

A few more samples:
      [​IMG]

If they don't fit a mini it'll definately fit a tiny so if anyone in the UK wants one they're on sale AND u can use it for jewellery/ clothes storage

15. the doll furniture from ross is made by a doll company called Kingston. Try doing a google search for Kingston Doll furniture or something along those lines...if not when i go home...i'll see if my sofa still has the label on the bottom side. :) hope this helps a little.

But remember Ross is a clear out store...so even though i paid 12 bucks for the same table it may be more expensive on the actual store it originally came from.

16. Ross, definitely! I don't know why they periodically stock perfect 1/3 scale (SD) furniture, but they do.

And those jewelry-boxes that are shaped about like 1/4-scale (MSD) furniture, also cheap & perfect; I've also gotten them at Ross.

I have been forcibly turned on to Bratz furniture & accessories, for my Unoa Light. He's 26cm (10"), which is an odd size, but Bratz gear is all scaled perfectly for Tinies in that range! I wish all that stuff wasn't so damn perfect... My apartment is too small to contain all of it, and I've only got one Azurite to live in all of it. Right now he lives in the Genie Bottle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(They also make a flying carpet... but I really don't know where I'd put that! ;; )

17. If you search for "brass doll bed" on E-Bay you can find Samantha's bed -- which I think is the most "in scale" of the American Girl beds -- for relatively cheap. I wouldn't buy American Girl stuff retail -- there are always plenty of "outgrown" sets on E-Bay.

18. All of my boys have American Girl beds. They are a perfect fit and very sturdy. They are more expensive, however. ^_^;; I prefer the Classic Collection of the girls beds, as they are better made then those of the Today line. For example, the blue day bed they just released is made of plastic, not metal like the older beds such as Kits, and the bottom is just a cardboard slat. The company has lost some quality since being bought out by Matel, but the furniture is still very nice. ^_^ I hope that helps!!

Kit