1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule Update Mirodoll banned from DoA | updates in post #2 for September 2018

May 26, 2018

1. (Actually Harucasting did the Deesse head. And I find the 66 mascular body a lot of fun to pose and play with). At least DOA is trying to be precise in what they are not allowing, but I would like to have Mirodoll have a chance to "show their work" on the current controversial body.

2. As always, I trust the moderators in this regard. I don't think they make these decisions lightly. I can tell obvious bootlegs, you know the ones that show another company's picture, with a discontinued doll, at a too good to be true price, but something like this could slip right passed me because it's not obvious. I'm not familiar with all the models. Thanks for watching out for us DoA

3. This seems a bit premature to me, too. I would definitely agree that the new 1/4 body looks inspired by Iplehouse's aesthetic, but in the side by side pics, it looks like the torso and ribcage are longer on Miro's, the arms look shorter, the hips look a bit wider and rounder, the hands are different, and the waist possibly slimmer. So I'd say similar, but not a simple "copy paste" like a true recast. Mirodoll should imo be given some opportunity to defend their work or make corrective actions before being given the banhammer so abruptly. I mean, Dollmore isn't banned, and they released a 70cm boy body years ago that looked even more directly "inspired by" another company's work (the Dollshe body) than this looks to be a copy of Iple's JID body. Yet, all their dolls made after that are allowed. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me, but I guess that's up to the mods to decide.

Oh well, looks like I'll be checking out the Dollieh Sanctuary forum to share my Miro mods. *shrug* Hope some of the nice people I chatted to here about modding Mirodolls are there, too.

4. That was Fairyland that copied another artist’s work for their Steampunk Feeple60 Celine and Rin fullsets. Not LUTS. If we’re talking about protecting company reputations then let’s have the facts straight.

5. Pardon, I will change it and thank you for pointing that out. But you still make a good point: let's have our facts straight.

#25 chalyss, May 30, 2018
      Last edited: May 30, 2018
    6. Let's just remember that DoA is a privately owned forum. There's no voting on ban decisions here, so collective opinion doesn't really matter in this instance. As the opening post states, the mods have been discussing this for weeks, so it's not like they just decided on this without giving it any thought.

In my humble opinion, there's no need for further evidence anyway. Nobody's claiming that MiroDoll literally made recasts. These bodies are clearly modified from bodies made by other companies. There are too many similarities for it to be merely “inspired by”, both in the general silhouette of the dolls and the more specific shape of their joints. Photo comparisons are all I need to see that they're copies, and overlays just make it even more obvious. This method has been used for years to spot recasts and modified copies. No need for side-by-side in real life comparisons- since they've been modified, the dolls will not match 100% or even be the same size anymore. Besides, the chances of someone coming forth with actual in-person comparison photos is almost zero. Anyone who was willing to pay top dollar for the original Iplehouse or Dollstown bodies would not have ever bought the MiroDoll versions.

7. The 'privately owned forum' bit was really all you needed and I had forgotten. They have their opinion, I have mine, I don't agree with the mods' decision or defamation of the company, and I understand that if I don't like it I can go elsewhere. I think that ends it (for me, anyway).

8. Yeah, ditto -- it's totally up to them what they want on their board, but those of us who don't feel the same way should remain open to exploring other places to share. Multiple active communities will help ensure fair and even discourse across the BJD hobby I think, so that people won't be so inclined to panic if something isn't allowed here, or feel excluded from the hobby if the attitudes of DOA don't reflect their personal beliefs or feelings.

9. Privately owned, yes, and they have all the right to decide what they do and we as members to stay or go, but I hope they do better in the future.

For many doll collectors, DoA is considered as a sort of “BJD Bible” — they come here for info, for guidance, for help. They tend to take what’s here as “fact and law.” Being the largest English BJD community comes with great responsibility.

If pictures will suffice as evidence for something like this then why aren’t other doll companies in similar situations checked at this time too?

And what is going to be the criteria from here on out on this matter? Where does “inspired by” cross the line into “copy/paste/modify?” Will the databases be updated and all suspicious bodies and molds be considered? There are many other companies that border this same problem too.

10. I agree with this statement.

With that said, Anything that comes across here as negative can effect any company's future.
      Nothing travels faster then bad news, more-so on social media.

It is my hope that the moderation team here on the forum keep that in mind when they are reviewing suspicious dolls. Other then that I am happy that they are allowing the other sculpts to remain on-topic.

Let's not forget that Dollzone had been accused of similar actions in the past and they did clean up their act.

11. As many people have already commented, I sculpted the torso for the 66cm “Mascular” body from scratch using paperclay. I did not copy a Dollshe Rhythmos body, and am not sure where you even drew that comparison? I provided Miro with the torso and used their arms and legs from their newer 66cm boy bodies. I can not speak on the rest of Miro’s line, but let’s hold off on the general accusations, please.

My Déesse heads were cast by Haru Casting and verified by the DoA mod squad as legitimate.

12. @Sicktress I think the body being compared to Dollshe Rhythmos was Miro's linked 70cm male, not your girl!

13. The 66cm muscular girl body is sculpted by sicktress not Mirodoll, you can see the sculpting pictures of it on her Instagram.
      Edit: oops just saw that other people corrected this already

14. Yes.

Their casting service is not being called into question.

It's not a case of mind slippage, but of specialized access to the controls of the banner ad module.

Please see above; their casting services are not part of the problem. We're hardly going to penalize the artists of original sculpts who used them. However, because of the banning, the services can't be publicly recommended or advertised on the forum.

XM dolls - that's an area we're looking into since it was just mentioned to us.

15. @hobbywhelmed Thank you for answering my questions. :) This has really broken my heart. Please keep us posted on any developments!

16. I think that people saying the decision is too abrupt, stating they are innocent until proven guilty, and/or asking for them to be given another chance are missing this part (which is understandable since it's just one line buried amidst a lot of text in a long long announcement):

^Sounds like they have a chance to clear their name and/or have future dolls be on topic, like other companies who copied (Fairyland, Dollmore, etc.)

Keep in mind that this is exact situation is what Dollzone did with their first couple dolls (who were modified recasts, and to this day are banned from being posted on DoA). Afterwards they made reparations for their actions and today, far from a destroyed reputation, they are a popular, well-renowned company in the community. Therefore, the next move is up to Miro if they want their future releases to be on topic (and/or if they wish to further prove the legitimacy of the banned ones --though given the stunningly exact similarity of the 1/4 girl, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.)

Ball's in their court.

17. Just saw that on Facebook Mirodoll has made a short statement, i’m Not sure if they’ll do another longer one. But they had no knowledge until it was brought up that this new sculptor was copying and appear to take responsibility for the mistake and have taken the items off of their website.

18. Can you link us to this statement? I can't seem to find it

19. I'd like to see clearer comparison photos. I personally don't see that much similarity between the bodies shown in the first posts. They look completely different to me.

20. I would hope XM dolls would still be okay as I'm fairly certain they're a separate company from Mirodoll. I know they're the same company as Magical Angel, just a different brand name. As far as I know Miro only sold them as kind of a third-party dealer service (didn't they even say they used a different casting service and that's why the XM resin colors were different from Miro's? or am I misremembering something entirely?), so I would assume they have pretty much nothing to do with this issue and would just fall under the "artists who used their services" category.