1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Misty Blue Elf Kumi - Yellowing Alert!

Apr 13, 2007

1. Well, after reading this I had to rush off and check my BC Blue Kumi... and yes, he does seem to have some yellowing around his elbow joints. But I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it.

I've had him out in tons of sunlight... and it's certainly not as bad as some of the Narin sun-staining I've seen...

but yeah, it is a little worrying that it's been less than a month.

I can't say, though, that his slightly more yellow elbows make me love him any less. I'm still very happy about the purchase.

I also have a Tan Elf Roko... who has been a bit more protected when it comes to sunlight than my Blue Kumi...and she shows no staining at all.

2. There's obviously an exposure (probably to light) component going on, since the parts covered by clothing are not as changed...

There is some time related component. Not sure if it's the time exposed to direct sun or indirect... or air or something else... but at any rate, there's a pretty extreme sensitivity, since there was only normal exposure and the doll is relatively new...

Amount of change--is pretty drastic if one can see it well in a photograph.

The best way to document changes might be to take a "base" photo under set conditions (lighting, background) with one of those photo color and grey-scale things... and then to do the same at various periods (noting down the dates).

If anyone can do this, it would be good to have a record like that!

*sigh* *_*

I have a Misty Blue Kumi and I have been worried... first about the French Resin (IS this true, IS it French resin??? People haven't been 100% sure). First it was postulated that the yellow color of French Resin is what makes the Misty Blue a Misty Blue-Green. And Secondly--people have said French Resin is prone to yellowing... I wonder why companies use it when that is so? I'd personally prefer to do without the translucence if it yellows!

Anyway! This latest news is VERY disturbing.

Yes, I know, the dolls are still cute and all that, but changing color within a month is NOT GOOD, no matter how cute they are! I'll still love mine, but it's NOT GOOD.

(runs off to go cover my girl up...)

Not that covering up could help if normal exposure to whatever (light, air, indirect light) causes such drastic changes so quickly!!! :(

I don't want to keep my dolls in boxes! I like them in view...

3. I would say that the Blue Elves are definately French Resin.

I don't think the tan elves are though... so maybe that's why the tan roko hasn't had any skin color change vs. my blue kumi.

4. IF indeed these dolls (Misty Blue color ---I think they are the most likely to be prone to color changes because of the pale blue color and the --possibly, I'd need to have confirmation from the company-- French Resin), are so sensitive to fairly normal conditions... I'd be highly annoyed.

It's the company's responsibility to provide a decent quality level for their products, particularly something this expensive (we're not talking about some $15 mass-produced doll here), and something the buyers have such an emotional investment in.

Taking the test photos with the color/grey scales of the resin over time-- Such things should NOT be the responsibility of the buyer to document! The company should have tested the resin and the color for light-fastness and yellowing, at least for a few months, before releasing dolls made of such resin.

There is no excuse for not making sure of the quality at least in a minimal way (if the dolls yellow over a year or two... that would still be BAD considering the expense and investment on the buyer's part, but not quite as bad as dolls that turn colors or fade when still new!).

Now, perhaps there was some time-testing of the resin. Perhaps this is just a limited instance, such as some of the tanned skin dolls turning colors in patches (as had been reported with dolls from other companies).

However--BC should be liable, if so. These dolls should be replaced for owners who find that their dolls drastically change colors within a few months of purchase--WITH normal use. (Perhaps ANY time in direct sun is bad? But indirect light--) If they change colors in indirect light... or even while kept in a box--that would be grounds for a replacement, to my mind!

5. I asked bambicrony and they said that all of the misty colored elves are French resin. NS, tan, and white are regular resin. I have a narae and I try to limit her contact with sunlight and bright lights, however French resin will noticeably yellow and as a french resin owner it has to be an accepted fact. I have a LSG Roko coming and I'm curious as what color she'll turn.

6. Hmm this is interesting, but I'm not at all surprised by it!
      I was thinking I should get a Misty Blue because I figured if it yellowed it'd at least be a cute elfy shade of green-ish eventually..!

but I got an LSG/bluish girl. I watch for signs of color changes, but haven't seen any yet. I have only had her outside for photos in the shade, but yeah, it gives one pause! I went ahead and adopted her anyhow, knowing that LSG color changes might end up being considered the least attractive of them all!

purple/blue + yellow = ?! brownish?? :-O

In any case, I got her because she's unusual... I love her ears and cute face... so whatever she changes into, I'll probably still adore her, and I hope the same for others with their dolls!

*edit* I don't think BC should be "held liable" about the color changes... I (for one) know that resin yellows over time, and especially French Resin! I got one anyhow...

^_^
      Raven

7. It's definitely not just the MSC that's turning yellow. There's some chance that the MSC might have a slight cast to it... however, Kumi's headcap, which was covered by her wig while she was in sun, now has a yellowish cast to it too, and I never coat headcaps with anything because they're always covered by wigs. Maybe I should start... :doh Also, the band of blue around her head where the fur of the wig I made was doubled over around the hairline is the same color as the inside of the headcap, and that's on the part of her head which was coated with MSC UV Cut.

I have several other dolls that I've coated with the same batch of UV cut over the last year (I've still got a can and a half left), and they've seen more sun than she has, and they seem to have no noticeable yellowing yet.

Also, I seem to remember a problem with MSC UV Cut reacting strangely with Mr. Color Thinner. It seemed to make this frosty white coating on top of the MSC after a while if there was thinner residue left. I had one girl who was first stripped partially using Mr. Color Thinner, and this happened to her after I redid her. However, the milky coating seems to go away when wiped with a damp cloth.

8. There certainly is a change in the colour of the resin. This must be very upsetting. I'm pretty sure BC is the first company to do a big release of coloured elves and I'm not completely surprised to see some yellowing.

I bought the Mistyrose Pepe and I bought it knowing that the colour will probably change over time. But I only knew that because I am familiar with the problems people have had with their Naraes which are French resin yellowing. If I was not aware of this, I would be very disappointed in the colour change, but I kind of expect it.

I haven't seen any change yet in my Mistyrose elf. There wasn't any warnings given in the box with it or in the boxes with my NS elves. But then the NS elves are not french resin and are already a yellow-toned resin.

It will be interesting to see how the different elves all end up, but maybe BC should have experimented first before releasing them to the public?

9. Sunlight is bad to all kinds of the resins. It will significantlly increase the yellowing.
      Leave your girl in shadow and she'll be much safer :)

10. They stopped making UV cut coating because of yellowing and the company is reformulating so it may also be a reaction of the resin to the coating

My pink doll seems slightly lighter on the body area but the face seems unchanged. I used regular MSC matte not UV. I'll do a thorough inspection tonight. I just took her to two day trips this week and she has had more sun than normal

Carolyn.S: The normal elves with no faceup did not come with any notice or warning papers only the fullsets

11. Trouble with French Resin yellowing... yes, that's maybe something buyers could understand (assuming buyers were told Officially! Not just by asking individually!).

I'm more concerned with a noticeable color change with a NEW doll. ... And what that means for dolls when they are 6 months old or a year or two! If color change starts within a month, that is different than yellowing over years...

Ah, well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all goes. I'm not clamoring for my money back right now (or perhaps ever... ).

Still, it's worrying! :(

12. At the risk of getting stuff thrown at me, I don't see what's so unnerving about a color change, slight or not, in these dolls. They aren't any specific color anyway. I have 3 other French Resin dolls, I don't keep them in boxes, and they look perfectly fine to me. Also, I have no problems with my eyesight. I really think this is probably a lot of fuss over nothing.

13. AreeElf, if you're worried, you can take a comparison with my girl tomorrow at the meet---she's slightly newer than your girl I believe. Now I know there are batch differences but if the resin is yellowing/fading it should be different than batch variations in color.

Now I'm getting paranoid...my girl doesn't have proper clothing yet and I don't want her to yellow that soon!! @_@ but I'll still bring her to the meet, I think *pushing away fear*

14. My only issue would be, if I bought a doll because it was a specific fantasy color (like the blue), and that color didn't hold for even a short (relatively) amount of time, I would be quite disappointed.

So I can quite understand those that are upset about this, and it's great for those that don't mind (I've had Sonya 2 yrs, and she is definately a little more "tan" than when I got her lol), but it's also a little easier (in my mind) to overlook when the color isn't as dramatic.

15. First of all, the change is gradual, and if you're not A) specifically looking for it and/or B) bothered by it... chances are you likely won't notice.

Secondly, some people like their dolls to stay the same/or close to the colour they arrived. Personally, my own Elf El has changed colour a fair bit since his purchasee. Most of it was the Testor's I used when I had no MSC, but some of it's exposure. I like the colour myself, but I can understand how other people may be incredibly bothered by the change of resin colour. Especially in a doll that IS supposed to be a specific colour like this Elf Kumi is.

It was Bambicrony's responsibility to make sure their resin wouldn't be this greatly affected. Obviously we all know that resin is affected by sunlight, but it shouldn't be anything this drastic. So I think it's incredibly unfair and even a bit insensitive of you to say that there's a fuss being made about nothing here because someone is concerned about the state of a doll they spent several hundred dollars on.

16. sleep_pattern, can you specify exactly what you mean by specific color? Also, I don't mean to be "unfair" or "insensitive", I also paid real money for my doll, it's just that I don't understand what the problem is with the possibility of color change on something that is a "fantastic" color to begin with.
      Or maybe it's just that my taste is a little less pedestrian. I also love the "Beauty Green" Luts dolls.

17. Well if a BW or NS doll yellows, it's still relatively "skin-toned". But if a blue elf yellows, that color is not blue anymore. So in a sense, yes, the blue elves are more defined in color compared to the other dollskins.

The part that bothers me more than the yellowing is that it's not uniform, but in patches where the skin is more exposed. It's fine if the entire doll changed in color at the same rate, but having patches of yellowed skin on top of blue is just...you know, not very natural >_>....

18. They weren't a true blue to begin with anyway, more of a blue green. Blue, a primary with the dreded yellow, a secondary mixed in. I dunno, on another doll I might agree, but I don't think uneven color would bother me on mine, she's not so natural looking to begin with.

19. FWIW, for those who are really unhappy with the idea of the colour fade/change, if you go to the Marketplace there are a number of WTB for the MistyBlues.

Other than that, what do you think would be a fair thing in this situation? Do you think BC should give a refund? Would you return your coloured elf if that option was available?

I think the colour that will look the worst with yellowing will be the Mistyrose, which I have, but I'm willing to hang in there and see what happens. Who knows, maybe she'll turn white and I'll have my snow elf after all!

20. I find yellowing extremely unattractive. I see yellowed Narindolls or beauty green Luts dolls and wince. I want my dolls to remain attractive to my eyes, and while I understand yellowing is something that cannot be wholly avoided, it can be prolonged. I have a 40 year old white model horse who has been cared for so well he's still a pristine, glossy white. Most of his type around are considerably yellowed.

It bothers me that if these dolls are french resin, it wasn't just outright listed on the site. I won't buy french resin dolls because I think it's ridiculous to pay for something that is going to turn yellow in less than a year. And now I am going to have to lock my blue elf away because he was purchased specifically for his colour. He is a real blue, his character is blue. Not bluish yellow.

And yellowing that isn't uniform is even worse, I don't want a mottled doll.