1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Misty Blue Elf Kumi - Yellowing Alert!

Apr 13, 2007

1. That... is my biggest problem. I don't even like tan lines on me, and I know they'll fade.... I *really* don't like the idea of them being on my doll when they'll never leave.

2. Yes, it's true! I wonder though, if these reports of premature yellowing will have any effect on resale value... :-O

LOL! I hope so!! Bwahahaha... I'll have an inexpensive army of mottled elves of various indeterminate colors!! XD Go me!

Just kidding ^_~

Raven

3. tINY BEAR ADOPTION AGENCY

on the French resin /Yellowing thing , I dont want to keep a doll in a box , I have them all on display , out on shelves , everywere the shade or sunlight ...Ok Im UK what little we have ...touches them at some point in the day
      I would hate to have to cover them up or not take them out to photograph them
      but I cant say ,I have NOT noticed any of them yellowing ,
      I have had a pink white French resin N-doll for some months ...and absolutly nothing at all has changed her resin at all

Fleur I did leave her on purpose so her face would yellow and match her body ..but her body didnt go any worse

I dont know why some dolls change and some dolls dont
      the same as there are some collectors it will bother and some it wont

Yellowing wouldnt bother me ...the stripe would

its horses for courses as they say

4. Just wanna add a few cents. Blue out of all other colors is the one that's fading really fast on direct sun. I remember leaving a drawing made with blue and red markers on the sun for a while, and blue disappeared completely, while red stayed almost untouched. So perhaps, it's really both, blue fading and french resin yellowing.

5. I'm actually not very worried with the pink resin. from what I've seen of the three it seems the most stable so far *crosses fingers* . I'd love to see your girl. I throughly checked my girl and she doesn't really seem to have any yellowing. The pink does seem lighter than I remember but shes really even. I hope to see your girl today. I will know for sure in about an hour if I can go to today's meetup

Bunny Boo: I agree I think it's the blue pigment that seems unstable. I noticed from when people first started posting pictures that the blue dolls looked more green. LSG seeming more purple may also have something to do with blue pigment. Did they use a straight grey pigment or mix blue with another color

delicateangel: I think if the pink yellows at worse it will turn peachy which is a normal skin tone.

6. I don't think BC can be held responsible for anyone's disatisfaction at color change since they gave a warning ahead of time.
      Yeah and as Tinybear says its horses for courses which means taste is subjective. I know it won't bother me if Shirley changes in a mottled way, it will just add to her character. That is what I love about my dolls, they seem almost alive, not like perfect objects. Hmmm, I sound nuts don't I? Don't agree all at once LOL.

7. Stella Maris: I don't think you are nuts at all. It just shows that you love your doll and see something more there than just her color..
      Some people have had hands with "molding defects" something that is also subjective. I got one hand of my pink doll as not so perfect. I don't find it a problem someone else would. So with the mottling effect I would think it's subjective as well

Actually if a blue elf turns a mottled color someone who doesn't want it anymore could probably find someone who would see it as the perfect goblin doll. It's all on the outlook.You are more on the positive outlook.

I could also see why someone would get all distressed if they put a lot of stock in the doll being the absolutely perfect shade of blue.

I'm less distressed since when I bought my doll I was under the impression it was French resin and I bought it knowing that there was the slight possiblilty of it changing colors.

I stalk BC and their question and answer board but I don't take everything they say as gospel truth I do some research on my own.

some conclusions I made from my research more of an editorial not fact:

BC said that the dolls are colorfast French Resin that can be sanded and that there are no differences in batches. I personally take most statements BC makes as sales pitches recently. They understand supply and demand. They are not above cutting corners in some cases. So I don't think they would necessarily go and make sure to UV stabilize the color resin if it is too much of an overhead cost. They also know what the market would bear on the price of a doll for a particular size. They are a great company but a company nontheless so I would say by their recent practice they also are looking out for their bottom line and may possibly cut corners to increase profit.

Also it could also be since they "developed" the resin themselves they also may not have fully researched the resin stability with UV. If I was casting a blue doll and tested it for marketing I would think to stick it under UV light and test how it reacts they may not have thought of it. So it also could be just lack of forethought and not cutting corners.

8. Heh heh Aree, that's nice of you however I must be nuts. I talk to dolls.

9. it's funny this discussion, because when I saw the picture of before and after I thought I liked her better after her yellowing, it lookes like more shadow, more expression ,really look at her ears, she is a beauty.

10. I don't know. I don't really like dolls to turn yellow.
      I really like Bambicrony , the company, their service and their dolls, but I think they should done some testing for a few months before selling the blue dolls, because a month is a very short time so see color changes, if it was a year maybe but a month?

In the other hand Bambicrony said that they will be shipping 3 of my elves next monday, they said they finally got then back from Yiya, what I don't understand is that they told me that they were going to compare the 3 pink elves to make sure they were the same pink, but they are only shipping 2 pink elves and my normal pepe on monday and the other pink elf is still at yiya,
      I don't understand how are they going to compare the 3 pink elves if they only have 2 in hand.

I really hope that the pink color doesn't turn yellow.

I am curious of what companies use french resin?

Geri

11. Put me on the list for people wanting to purchase second-hand off-color dolls (er, you know resin color, not...)
      Maybe purple LSG+ yellowing = grey!!

Hey, I can always dream.:sweat

I have great sympathy with disappointment in resin but I admit that I assumed that, given tan resin's extreme fragility in sunlight, that colored resin would be the same. I keep all of my dolls in indirect sunlight and I think the only time any of them have seen the sun directly was at a meetup and even then if I had a tan doll I'd probably have brought a canopy. I saw one person at our last meet had a nice parasol for her tan darling.

But then, I was looking for a goblin or gargoyle-type doll so blotching doesn't really bother me... not that my LSG Pepe has shown any sign of it, but still...

H

12. Kaye adds uv protection to her colors I can't see why BC couldn't do that for future dolls?

13. I just wanted to say that I personally have no faith in "UV protection"... be it MSC UV cut or in this supposed UV protect formula added to resin. I mean it would be nice if it actually works or whatnot, but I wouldn't trust it to the point of taking my dolls out into sunlight.

Raven

14. I don't take any dolls out in the sunlight so thats not an issue but random light that comes in the window as it crosses the path of the room during a normal day. It would be nice to feel that they won't yellow for that.

15. I just checked my MistyRose Kumi this morning.... she hasn't yellowed at all. I checked one of her exposed hands against her tummy, which is always covered. No difference in color at all... so either she is yellowing uniformly or she is not yellowing. She is kept indoors out of direct sunlight...

Just wanted to contibute my bit. :) Maybe that'll reassure people a little?

16. I've learned to take what Bambicrony says with a grain of salt. They said my girl would ship out to me 2 weeks ago ... still hasn't shipped. They said her head arrived from ViYa on Tuesday. So why has she still not shipped yet? How long does it take to put a doll in a box and ship it?

I'm starting to get really anxious, and scared as well. My doll is also Misty Pink. I'd really hate for her to turn Misty ORANGE. Peach is ok, I guess ... but I bought her as a PINK doll. I was not told at the time that she was made of french resin. Bambicrony did not advertise that. Nor did they advertise that they would yellow faster than their normal dolls.

I assumed that they'd yellow over time - as in years, not months. I have several dolls, most of them white skinned that are between 1-3 years old. The oldest have only yellowed in the slightest, making them look more flesh colored than white. They don't actually look yellow. My others haven't changed since the day I got them.

I do not like keeping my dolls boxed up. It makes me feel like I'm putting them in coffins or something. I like to have them sitting around my room where I can see them when I'm not playing with them. I already have an area for my Bambicrony doll picked out.

I also have my window covered in my room with thick velvet so that my dolls aren't effected by sunlight. But if a doll in a dark drawer still yellowed/faded ... that makes me very worried.

17. I recall reading this as well - a statement that the colours were fast, that they were matched between batches and that Bambicrony was experimenting with other colours as well.

My MB Pepe has remained undressed (such an adorable body!) and in indirect light (my home is the functional equivalent of a cave :(), so if there has been any yellowing since he came 7th March, it isn't noticeable. On top of which, he wasn't exactly blue to start with, nor was the colouration perfectly uniform. To me, that is part of his appeal.

However he wishes to organically assert his colour is okay with me ... I fall into the Laid Back Camp on this one. "Mellowing" is just a fact of life with the French resins; throw an unusual colour into the mix and I simply think you've added the element of a crap shoot. Kim's right: if the yellow-over-time is something you'll mind, you need to stay clear of French resin dolls (and companies need to be up front about the resins they use ... in the long run, customers who make informed decisions are generally far happier).

However, to assert something is "colourfast" and then have this degree of deterioration with minimal exposure to light over such a short period of time ... well ... that's a problem of the honesty sort that leads to problems of the hugely dissatisfied customer sort, which leads to problems of the credibility sort.

I was impressed with Bambicrony's service, and I love my wee blue elf, but even laid-back me is somewhat miffed at learning colourfast suddenly has a different definition.

Lisa

18. Kaye also does small batch casting and seems to study more about resin from personal interest. She normally only casts her blue dolls as one off dolls. This leads me to believe it's not that easy to control color and she once described her process in making blue dolls. Her blue dolls start off with a yellow tinted clear base of French resin to which she adds blue and white pigment. She once stated it's not really blue blue dolls rather an aqua blue doll.

Adding UV protect directly to the resin is new to companies. Only time will tell how effective it really is. The last volks dolpa osaka dolls are said to be of UV protect resin. So I agree with Ravendolls

19. I bought a blue doll specifically for the blue colour. I am now rather peeved to learn that they used a resin that is incredibly unstable, and frankly, I would have passed on the doll if I had known ahead of time that it was french resin even if I had been dreaming of a blue Yo sized doll.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that people who are unhappy that these dolls aren't as advertised are being negative or to imply that they don't enjoy their dolls as much as those who don't care what colour they turn. I like being able to look at my dolls in their little displays in my room during the day, it's pretty pointless to have a doll that will need to be kept in a drawer.

20. I think the people who are upset about the color change are completely justified.

If I had bought the doll because I definately wanted that *specific* color of blue/pink/grey... I'd be pretty pissed off that they were losing that color so quickly.

Right now I'm ok with the color shift because I didn't have my heart set on the specific blue in the pictures and it's not that great of a shift...

but I can tell you though, that if in 3 months I have a *COMPLETELY* yellow doll, I'm going to be pretty annoyed... and I'll definately tell Bambicrony my opinion on their selling more expensive dolls that they say are colorfast, when in fact they aren't.