1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Misty Blue Elf Kumi - Yellowing Alert!

Apr 13, 2007

1. Has anyone brought this up on the Bambicrony Q&A board?

I'd also be interested in adopting bad elves.

2. Me ears are burning!!! LOL
      AreeElf you are right .. most of the French resin is clear with a slightly yellow or amber tint .. this is why the blue resin has a aqua/sea greenish tint. The majority of the water clear resins that have no colour are very toxic but some of them already are UV stable but there's so many difficulties using them to cast dolls that a small operator like myself can't afford the extra equipment needed to cast successfully. I do suspect this is the kind of resin Volks uses for their UV protect dolls .. I don't know this for sure of course!!

The UV addative I use is expensive so I am guessing the companies don't like the added expense or it could be that the one I use may not be available outside Australia because the company I buy it from told me it is designed to be added to resin that is to be made into outdoor furniture because we have such harsh summers here that resin can not withstand our summers without a UV addative.

Still, that doesn't help the BC blue babies owners!!! I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop the yellowing besides keeping them in their box (which may or may not help in the long term as I think the resin will still "age") It's kind of sad because, if the change worries you, then you can't display or play with them and dolls are meant to be enjoyed!

3. Still doesn't bother me. And I saw a Beauty Green today at a meetup, and he was lovely. And I baked my Shirley in the sun all day. I hope she turns yellow. With spots.

4. Perhaps you should start a new thread for people interested in changing the color of their doll through sunlight.

5. Heh heh that's a good idea!

6. LOL I know you do! That would only add to her alienness.

7. I guess, truthfully I am more worried about breaking Spork than I am about him changing color.

He has hit a very soft spot in my heart, and he could turn pukey green and I would still be happy with the little booger.

And if he ever does dissapoint me, I am sure people would beg to have him. People already are letting me know they would like to have him... ;)

8. oh count me in for anyone wanting to sell a faded blue too! they sold out to fast:(

9. Well I guess the moral of this story is everyone has thier own taste, and one man's meat is the next one's poison. I hope at the end of the day everyone is happy with thier elves, and if not it seems that you won't have trouble selling the faded ones. That's good news.

10. lol, I'm serious. If you really are baking yours in the sunlight, you should document it with a daily photograph, it would be really interesting to see.

11. I truly thought I'd be posting to this thread about how discoloration *doesn't* worry me but I had an upsetting dream about my Pepe last night that's she'd changed color and also her face-up was sliding off and could not be repainted. So there's obviously some subconscious worrying going on!!! :)

Note: she's standing on my desk, largely naked and still misty blue all over. I checked this morning! :LOL:

I bought her for her expressive face, and also love her clever little Bambicrony body. I would probably be upset if she had yellowed already, but I do know that that's going to happen to all my dolls eventually. And she probably first because of the French resin. But I'd rather have her than not, and out and about the house rather than in a dark box somewhere.

Yes, it would be a good idea to alert Bambicrony just so that they know. And using a UV-stabilizer in the resin - as Kaye does - would probably help, so that'd be worth mentioning to them. But there's nothing they can do, really, for current doll owners. A mass recall and reissue would almost definitely bankrupt them.

Now I'm off to draft an outfit for my Pepe. Finally....

12. I think we should have a database thread to know what compnaies are using what type of resin.
      It may help people before buying the doll.

Geri

13. Geri quick list for you:
      Narin doll uses french resin
      Narsha doll uses french resin
      Limhwa doll uses French resin for larger dolls only
      Bambicrony used French resin for colored dolls only

Limhwa doesn't use French resin for their 27cm smaller girls they said it looks to translucent and scary with the small sculpts

14. Thanks AreeElf!!

Geri

15. Couldn't agree more!

Lisa

16. UniDoll uses French resin for their Limited line, but not for their Real line. I'm not sure about their Tinies.

Lisa

17. delicateangel: I posted the following locked question in the BC board. I locked the question to prevent mass anxiety posts on the BC board.

I'll post what their reply is:

18. Well, call me a devil's advocate here, but 'colorfast' can mean different things. The color does NOT wash off in water. So, by some definition that is colorfast. Also, please remember that English is not the native language of the people writing for Bambicrony, so semantic arguments aren't necessarily very productive.

I guess I was *SO* disappointed that my Pepe was purple and not grey, as indicated in the photographs, that I'm kind of confused about why so few people complained about that but so many are complaining about the light-fastness of the resin. Since this is such a new experiment with the resin I felt like I was taking a risk in ordering one, but it was a risk I was aware of. But then, I've obsessively read all of the stuff about the instability of tan resin so I guess I was a little more prepared. Seriously, if I didn't have people so anxious to adopt my purple Pepe I was absolutely going to put him in the sun and see if he turned a more agreeable color. However, I sort of feel like I would be potentially destroying something that someone else would love very much and I just can't bring myself to do that.

So, again, if anyone has a yellowed or yellowing Pepe, or is just too nervous about the stability of the resin, please do PM me... especially if you have a 'bluer' one rather than a 'purpler' one. :(

I'm not trying to be critical to anyone here, but didn't we all know this was a very new resin and that was part of the appeal? Can anyone who bought a doll this time honestly say that they would have waited six months to find out how the resin ages before buying? I mean, if that's the case, why not wait six months before buying one?

Personally I'm thrilled about the fact that companies are taking risks and trying new and different things. I was anxious to be one of the first with the experimental resin, and the fact that the coloration of the batches meant that I got a doll I didn't want in no way deters me from rolling the dice the next time they release colored dolls. This is a very new art form and none of us really knows how these resins hold up over time.

I guess I'm just a little worried that consumers aren't aware of the risks... if they don't read the forums as obsessively as I do, for instance. And that doll companies who get flooded with complaints will, rather than trying to satisfy everyone, either stop experimenting or close their doors. I know the phrase in English is "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" but in Japan it's "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down." And Korea? Somewhere in the middle, it seems.

Again, I'm not trying to be critical of the people expressing their disappointment with their purchase. I was disappointed too! But I don't blame Bambicrony for experimenting with new things, rather I encourage it. Even if it means I get disappointed a few times. Rather, I think we should go on a campaign to educate potential buyers about the risks of purchasing these experimental items. And, in my mind anyway, I don't think the company needs to put a sign up saying 'this new resin is experimental and we're not entirely sure what will happen to it over time'... it's the first time we've seen resins of that color, wouldn't that be the obvious conclusion? Again, perhaps I'm making too many assumptions, but I personally would be quite upset if companies were too afraid of consumer complaints to try new things. I would rather educate buyers of their risks, and I think this community is an excellent place to do so.

H

19. Blue is the most difficult colour to dye things with (unless of course you count pure black as a colour.) It fades really quickly...So I reckon making a blue doll was a little ambitious. it looks like the blue pigment is fading from the short spell in the sun.

I hope you are not feeling too bad. Cos honestly she does still look really cute! But I can understand you might be upset...I hope Bambicrony can help you somehow.

20. That's well stated, Aree. I'll be interested to know more.

As far as the complaints go, I really think that the unhappy buyers are just wanting to express their disappointment. That's understandable. I don't think they want Bambicrony to close their doors or stop experimenting with resin.

If it was just about the money, its very clear that the dissatisfied owners could easily find a buyer for their elves, but I think this forum is a place for us all to let off some steam with other bjd fans who have probably been disappointed at some time in the past themselves.