1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobility vs. Aesthetics

May 30, 2017

1. I thought I would be mobility all the way, but aesthetics turned out more important than I thought. For I while I refused to get a doll body that didn't have a 3-part torso, but I caved and got a 2-part torso body that fit my boy. Still, there are certain things (single joints, 1-part torsos) that are an insta-nope from me. And I (usually) don't mind clunky looking joints. But round ball boobs, chocolate bar abs, and just flat out off torso shapes have me clicking away. I also like nice looking nipples, weird as that sounds. It shows care, I think, and I'd rather have no nipples than weird ones.

2. I am SO with you on the nipple thing. If they look weird to me, I just straight up sand them off.

3. I like aesthetically pleasing, well-working mobility. So something out of both worlds. If the doll can't move, it does not appeal to me on the long run. Though I have to admit that mega-details are not that important to me. I still have my imagination, and with clothes on, you won't see it anyways.

4. A couple of weeks ago I would have said aesthetics...then I received my April Story Diana, who's body is positively BEAUTIFUL, but sucks in the mobility department...While I really would love to love her, I couldn't stand how awkwardly the body performed and so I'm currently in the process of trading her to someone who will hopefully love her!

So I guess, that's a pretty roundabout way of saying that I value both pretty highly! I have a Doll Leaves Yoko on the new teenage dream body and she is positively PERFECT; beautiful and logically built, everything about her is so wonderful!

5. A long time ago I might have said mobility, then I got my Domuya Drui and DollsTown Ariel on Leekeworld SD body hybrid...
      Now I'm leaning closer to aesthetics. However, I'm still not terribly fond of none-jointed torsos. At least my Domuya Drui has a hip joint, and the Leekeworld body has a chest joint.

So, I suppose I value both equally.

6. For me, I'd opt for aesthetics over mobility (although who doesn't want a good combination of both).

7. I value both. But I think mobility edges out aesthetics a bit more as posing/balancing dolls is my idea of fun. So aesthetics 40% and mobility 60%.

8. Like many others here, I would rather have a blend of both. But if forced to choose, I would go for mobility. Especially in the torso! I love dolls that can slouch and sit naturally. One-piece, and even some two-piece torsos, are just too stiff. I'm pickier about the limbs (I love well-sculpted legs, hands and feet) but double joints are a must-have. There is a beauty to a doll that can pose realistically. I feel that at the worst, I can cover an ugly joint with clothes. But if a doll can't pose naturally and gracefully, then the prettiest clothes in the world can't help the situation.

9. I will choose aesthetic over mobility if the mobility isn't too bad. I was debating between getting a soul doll Vito freya or a feeple60 moe mirwen and I eventually chose souldoll because I couldn't get over how much character the bodies and the faces have even though they don't pose as well as the feeple60 moe.
      I also like doll chateau and their bodies. But my dilemma is that I wouldn't want to cover such a unique body with clothes!
      I am so obsessed with unique and interesting sculpts and I want to be able to see them so I don't want them to wear anything. But my characters do where clothes so??? I just have to undress them to admire the art work :)
      I'm thinking of getting a doll chateau to shell a fairy character I have in mind and if I do she will be wearing almost nothing (leaf like clothing, rags, ribbons, etc.) to match with the very natural and primal vibe I want her to have. So at least with that doll I'll be able to see her body all the time. I don't want to pay a lot of money for something I never get to see when it's just sitting on my shelf!

10. I have to say aesthetics. I'm fine with sacrificing having the "perfect" body for possibility but I won't go for something I don't like the look of regardless of how much better the possibility is.

11. As I've nevet met a body that's an amazing poser but ugly, while there are a lot that look nice but are awful posers, I would choose poseability. And I want waist joints to come back! At the moment, not all of my dolls can even sit without falling back...

12. I definitely prefer aesthetics. Obviously some mobility elements are non-negotiable--double joints, movable torso--but otherwise I'm not too fussed about whether my doll can hold this complicated pose or that one. I want them to have nice bodies to look at. I'm not a fan of 3-part torsos because I find it breaks up the contour of the back too much (and I'm quite anal about my guy dolls having nice looking backs) as well results in weird-looking butts. I also prefer if the torso joint is directly beneath the pecs, creating a more seamless look, instead of the ones that start at the ribcage and therefore have an obvious line that doesn't belong on the chest.

13. Hah! My current doll is beautiful but can hardly pose at all. It's almost entirely aesthetics to me - good articulation is nice, but not at the expense of aesthetics. I like dolls because they're beautiful, I suppose.

14. I think aesthetics rank above moility for me. My Soom Mini Gem dolls are single jointed, so their mobility is more limited but they're so pretty I dont'mind. I also have several dolls made by a small artist company that are single jointed, but the faces and realism of her body sculpts make up for that. Of course I prefer if my dolls can pose well, too. My Xagadoll is currently one of my favorites as he has double joints and an aestheticlly pleasing body. I'm planning a hybrid for my next doll, since the default body has no torso joint and single joints, and there's a double jointed body from another company the head will (hopefully) work with.

15. I much prefer aesthetic over poseability. As long as my boys can sit pretty I'm fairly satisfied. I have this weird pet peeve about the hip joint that a lot of sculpts have because I think it looks like underwear and it sort of weirds me out, so both of the bodies I own don't have that. (Yay Ringdoll Ring Teen!) They both also pose pretty decently regardless, so it's not too much of a problem. As far as aesthetic sculpts go, I really like the Soom Idealian body and would really like to be able to get my hands on one some day because they have such nice detail!

16. Poseability, but only slightly. Most of the time I think it's easy to go for both, especially with MSDs.

17. I would rather go with aesthetics.
      It’s just personal preference.
      But I also wish the body would have good balance too.
      I’m too greedy it’s like finding a perfect foundation..

18. The face is the most important to me. Just have to make that body work. If it means that the doll can just stand in one position or sit, so be it.

19. Mm, difficult....aldo its frustrating if it fall down, or dous not want to pose as i will...
      Like the minifee, but i understood there not all the same easy posers....
      But faces and doll attitude is important to me too

20. Man I'm not sure I can pick one.. Obviously the ideal is both, but I think above all, since the doll is for me, I would go for a satisfying aesthetic. But then again, the mobility allows you to embrace other aspects of the hobby, like photography, so I don't know... :?