1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding the gender of a doll/switching male heads to female bodies+vise versa?

Jan 25, 2007

1. For my Oko, who is a VERY short character, a big part of my decision to mod a girl body for him was based on height. There are no boy dolls short enough to suit him, simply put. I don't like MSDs, so.. when I found out about the 52cm Zaoll Luv, it was an instant sale. Oko also just happens to be very feminine, so it all works out. :]

I just recently bought my Elliot a CP girl body, and I intend to remove the breasts from that one. This decision was mostly for the waist joint, and because I, for some reason, detest the CP boy bodies. And of course, Elliot's girly enough to pull it off. (:

2. To be honest, I love the idea. Just as I'd like a few of my boys to have very underdeveloped muscles and soft curves, I'm quite fond of girls with broad shoulders, narrow hips, muscular biceps and stomachs. I also genuinely don't think there's any head that can't be used as either gender - a Saint or a Hound might not make very pretty girls, but I'm pretty certain they could be convincing.

Although I like messing around with gender stereotypes for the sake of it, I also think it's a good avenue to a larger range and greater possibility in body shape and size - not everyone is a muscled man or a voluptuous lady, after all.

3. I think most of the doll boys look very girly. People that are not into bjd often believes that they are girls - I think everyone has had this experience. A lot of the girldolls are also very innocent and cute-looking, there are few girl dolls that has an attitude. I really enjoy seeing boyheads on girlbodies, to create a more "masculine" girl. Modding girlheads on boybodies is ok, but I think that bjds overall are so feminime that it's a bit uneccessary(sp).. I don't like that so much. Boy->girls are more interesting ^^ I saw a female El somewhere and that was just gorgeous <3 :D

4. i dont like the whole sanded off boobs thing. Kochan is girly..but he's a more realistic type girly to me...The fact that he's still feminine...and doesnt have freaking child-bearing hips from hell...makes it that much easier for me to see him as a real person in my mind when i want to. ive known some really REALLY girly boys in my life..and NONE of them have the bodies of a de-boobed girl. I think its a fetish and its rediculous.

At first though.. i actually thought it was interesting...then it became a trend to start sanding away every. last. shred. of male dignity that any of these boy dolls EVER had and i started to lose respect for people with good dolls.

And if it fits the character to do something like that..then I start thinking that the characters are nothing but some kind of creepy fetish too. To me theres a differance between a male character having a feminine personality..and a male character having a feminine appearance. Not all bits of a dolls personality..way of life..WHATEVER..needs to be so blatantly and overpoweringly obvious. To me thats just lazy characterization and leaves absoloutly nothing to the reader/watcher/nose picker/whatever's imagination.

5. My fiance is about halfway through sanding the boobs off a CP girl body for me. :) I like how it looks, but I wanted to do it mostly because I prefer the way the girl bodies pose. I like the swivelling ability of the upper torso joint. (The new girl bodies bum me out a bit for that exact reason.) And the head destined for that body is the most ambiguously gendered little thing I've ever seen, so it works out okay.
      Overall, I think ambiguity is sexy, so I like these mods very much. :love

6. Hmm. Well, I'm doing it for my Edan, but I do have reasons. Edan's not really a girl in personality, he's just. Got big hips. My boyfriend has a similarly proportioned body, and I think it's really hot. >___> I mean, I see it all the time on living, made-of-flesh boys. So why not my resin one? It's just the way his character looks. It's not a matter of cost, or of him being a "girly" character. Even his sexuality is incidental. If he liked girls, he'd still have those hips.

In fact, the girliest in personality of my boys is going to have quite a masculine body (the DT 15boy).

7. Body swapping with heads is ok, though in some cases it looks pretty darn odd. Melon heads and whatnot.

As to girl body to boy body mods...I really don't like them -_- I've never seen a real boy as hippy as a girl and to those who have, I'd love to see a photo of one because I just can't see that in my head. (TL;DR version: Pics or it didn't happen) e__e;;

I wanted to sand the breasts off a CP girl body...but it was for a girl who was just really flat chested >_>;;

8. I think it looks awesome if the head going on the body isn't too big. It's perfect for a boy who is younger and less manly, it's especially perfect for a doll who is supposed to be androgynous. My character, Ruka is on a modded girl body because he is supposed to be much younger than all my other boys and, in my mind, nephilims should be somewhat genderless. His twin brother Kotarou is also on a modded girl body for the same reasons. When we decided to put them on modded girl bodies, we were essentially hoping to achieve that type of look (younger and more slender), but I have yet to find a doll company that makes a boy body fitting that description. I really do like the Luts boy bodies, in fact almost all my other boys have that body, but I just knew Ruka could not have that body because that just wouldn't be accurate to his character's physical appearance. I still want to try and find a less curvy body for him because the hips on the CP girl bodies are a little exaggerated but it will have to do for now.
      It's also a good idea if you've got a girl head that you want to be boy because some girl heads just don't fit right on boy bodies. For example: my sister's Lydia boy. She loved the mould so much and she saw Sascha in that mould but it would have been difficult to first find a resin match and then a perfect fit, plus her character is supposed to be small and skinny. Sometimes it just makes sense.

9. I've seen a few boy heads that look good as girls... and some girl heads that look good as boys. In general though, I think usually boy heads look better for boys and girl heads look better for girls. It's really important to me that the head fit the body. Some boy heads are very big and look terrible on girl bodies because the girl bodies have such thin necks sometimes. Like, I don't think some of the older, bigger CP boy heads work for girls at all.

I don't really like boy-to-girl mods using the really curvy bodies at all because they look like flat-chested girls. However, I don't think the CP girl body is in any way a realistic representation of a woman's body... so trying to make this over-feminized, caricature of a female body into a male body just doesn't jive for me at all.

10. I am gearing up to sand the boobs off of my CH girl body this week. I feel kinda bad doing it, the body has such lovely petite breasts, they look so much nicer then the giant watermelons on my DDI body. And my mom asks me why I'm going to "ruin" a perfectly good body.
      But I am doing it because my character Shen Man is a 15 year old boy who plays female roles in Chinese Opera.
      He needs to be shorter then my other men, who are all in their 20s

I think the CH is a great body to mod because the torso is not very thin and the hips are wide, but not so bad when compared to the torso.

I like these mods, it's fun to see watch what people come up with!

11. **raises hand** I have a girl doll (Wren) whose head is actually a male mold that I put onto a girl body (Volks Tohya/SD13 Girl Body).

Beyond that, though...

I've also got a male doll body (Dreaming Doll 19 Boy) who's been made into a girl. The penis is modded into a vulva. She's intended to be a vat-grown posthuman, male-gendered female-sexed (she's got female genitals, but male personality traits/brain structures), and aside from the genitalia her body is completely masculine. She's also going to have a male head mold.

She's got six arms, too, but that's beside the point.

<_<

Er. Yeah. I'm a freak. XD

12. I've been contemplating investing on a female luts body to sand the breasts off of, but I'm really nervous as to how hard it is to do it. I really like the curvature of the female body, because the male body is too flat.. it's okay for MSD sized boys to have non curves because I think of them as children, but if I want an SD sized doll, I really want him to be more of a younger-teen, feminine type. I've never done any body modifications before so I'd honestly be extremely nervous to sand such an expensive piece of resin..

13. I love it when people switch heads, it can make for some very interesting dolls :)

14. In getting a girl mold, turning it into a boy, then dressing it like a girl? O o

For me it jsut defeats the purpose....*gonne get flamed*

15. To have a guy that's a level of feminine that the guy molds can't pull off?

That'd be my guess.

16. Well, I guess its just the fact that some people prefer to have thier boys personalities and appearance seem more feminine. I think just dressing a boy up like a girl wouldnt do because of the different structures between a girl and a boy body. Girls tend to be more curvy, which would boost that feminine appearance that the owner would want.
      And in my honest opinion, dont worry about getting flamed. You're not insulting why people do this, you're just asking a question.

17. Some people base their doll on characters they already have. Someone might have a very feminine character that crossdresses or something, and they might not be able to find a male mold that can pull it off.

Or maybe it's just personal preference?

18. I'm considering turning the girl doll I'm getting soon into a boy. I'd do it because I want a thin, frail looking boy. Also, it would be easier for them to wear clothes that are intended for girls. That's my reasoning ^^;

19. They very well can't crossdress with skirts on a girl's body.

20. Because cross-dressing men are not women. My Cyndy boy would not be the same character at all if he was an actual woman, nor would his boyfriend be the same.