1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding the gender of a doll/switching male heads to female bodies+vise versa?

Jan 25, 2007

1. It's fun to play with gender, and by doing that you can sort of get the best of both worlds in terms of appearance (at least in my opinion). I think androgany is very attractive.

2. Most likely because the doll is based off a character that portrays a more effeminate side, and for some strange reason has girly curves? I'm guessing they do whatever works best for their character. Though I don't have anything against original characters and all of that, I do think it is getting old really really fast. *_*

3. All my dolls are based off characters of mine, so I just go for what I think works. My Weros is a hermaphrodite, so I went down the modifying route for his body. I wanted a body that would be a middle road for shape once the breasts were removed, and the Bobobie body worked rather well for that. The fact that the body has large feet worked well too. :)

I have one more hermaphrodite character I definately plan to "doll," but at this point I don't know whether it will be a boy mold or a girl mold I will be adapting. :)

~Anrui

4. Personally I like the look. We create our dolls from our imaginations, right? So if they're feminine, why not?

I see some people saying things like: yeah, but real males don't have bodies like that. Well, real people don't have purple hair or elf ears or angel wings either ^_~ it's just another aesthetic.

5. My one girl to boy mod - Shura, is a girl head on a modded girl body. I needed him to be small and curvy because his whole character is supposed to be so extremely feminine that he's easily mistaken for a girl anyway [his look was partially modeled after Ashura from RG Veda who's A-sexual as it is.] - when I was looking for a headmold to suit his character, DES was the only one that jumped out at me and since I have this huge issue with proportion, he ended up on a modded girl body [girl heads on most boys bods tend to look a bit too small to me]

personally, if done well - I don't see why not, like Majenta said, they are all from our imaginations anyway so if you want a curvy femme boy, then have at it. Alot of the fun of dorries is the fact that you can customize them in any way to suit your tastes and make them 100% yours, even if the physical attributes wouldn't work in "real life" ^_^

6. I like the look of the girl-->boy mods, and I plan to do two myself, one because the character is supposed to be skinny and smaller than my other boys(sd 13 girl mod) and the other because the character is androgynous and supposed to have a very soft, femine, small body(sd 10 girl mod). That, and I simply like how it looks. No, it's not realistic, but since when are these dolls realistic? We have elves, vampires, zombies and I don't know what else and that's okay, but a curvy boy is not because it's not realistic?

I raise an eyebrow as well when someone takes a girlmold, sands off the boobs, dresses it as a girl and gets mad when you assume it's a girl. I mean..I don't ever correct people when they say my boys are girls(and they're on boys bodies), it's okay, they wear dresses, so it's normal to assume they're girls. The sd13 girl mod boy will be a real boy, with a sculpted on peen and pants and all that, he's just supposed to be skinny and kinda fragile. The other one's going to wear dresses, but you can call him/her a girl because s/he's a girl and a boy..

bottom line, for me,I like how it looks, it fits my characters and really, if you don't like it, don't watch it, right?

7. I personally prefer boy dolls over the girl dolls for some reason. I never thought about doing anything like this until today when I was wandering around the DOD website and I saw DOT E-an. I was drooling over that pretty face and so I decided to look at some of the full body shots they had and I was like O.O thats a girl!?! I thought it was a boy! Lol. The face is simply gorgeous and I'm pretty sure that my next purchase will be the E-an head (if I can find it) which I'll put on a DOT boy's body (or if I'm feeling adventurous then I could always mod the default body...it really does have such a lovely stomach!). I think what made me think the E-an sculpt would be good for a boy was the fact that it isn't as pouty as most female bjds tend to be (in my opinion), plus the fact that the boys are mostly very feminine looking anyway!

Anyway I love seeing gender mods, its amazing just how well some of them turn out, sometimes I could almost believe that the body was actually cast that way!

8. i think its fine to do this 8D if thats what you want i cant see why not...

but its so hard to tell boys from girls...i get it wrong then people get offended. is this just me? ; ;

personally, i prefer girl dolls. and i cant see the point of dressing a boy to be a girl when i could just have a girl, because darn, thats just way too confusing for me XD

9. a lot of boy dolls already look pretty feminine to me. the idea of boy body for a girl though sounds appealing for some reason to me. Are there any good photo examples around?

10. Eiji's feminine... but the only reason I'm putting him on a modded girl body is the fact he's supposed to be 5'3... and Hayden is 6ft. Doesn't look right in my mind... So it's the size, mostly.

11. I don't mind genderbending at all either its girl to boy or boy to girl. Actually I find it quite interesting to see how much creativity you can put into on doll, to make it as unique and personal as possible.

That is part of why I love bjds so much, they are all about creativity and fantasy :)

12. I think it's a matter of aesthetic really.

And taste.

I think it's a bit of a Japanese/Chinese aesthetic for a creature - XD! - to transcend gender and be a bit of both. Androgyny...
      Though I think it also exists in the West during the Renaissance.

There's this obsession of cultures to find a balance between man and woman, yin and yang. I see it as such.

If I find that certain heads have been modded and sex-swapped, I feel at awe at both the mold and the owner for being imaginative enough to have thought of such a combination. As for the mold, it just comes to show how truly versatile it is. For me versatility is what makes a mold more loveable.

^^;

13. I have a boy that has been modded into an androgynous angel. She was created for a character, but more truthfully, she was created because my partner is one of those women who actually looks more male than female in real life. She is a carpenter, and years of lifting and toting heavy wood and tools has given her the best upper body and she has tiny little breast and like no hips. Yep, she was born a girl too. She often gets mistaken for a man, especailly when going into restrooms. Untill she speaks...then she is clearly a women. My partner is also very supportive of my love of bjds and was thrilled when I added a resin family member that looked like her. I used and Angel Region Cain and she makes a lovely "butch" Angel :)

14. I love male heads on female bodies. Just absolutely crazy about them :love

I have a set of twin Nanuri 2006 heads (one normal skin, one white) on girl bodies, and they make some of them most endearing, puckish girls that I've ever seen. I tend to like boy head molds more in general, because most of them look more natural to me. Of course, to me they also 'naturally' look like girls XD

A lot of girl heads look like aliens to me. I know that they're supposed to be stylized and cute, but a lot of them give me the willies :shudder

But I have to say that it never upsets me to see a mold that I personally identify as being one gender expressed as the other. And while I'm not wild about a lot of the female to male body mods that I've seen, I'm a fan of any sort of modifications and gender bending on general principle.

Although, I do have a pet peeve about people getting offended when others mistake their very effeminate boy dolls for girls.

15. Well, Emryn (Shushu vampire) was always supposed to be a soft, childish sort of boy. The sleeping head was perfect for him...and also, I had it around, because it came with Cam, and I felt bad for it. XD;

Otherwise, I've got to agree when I say that androgeny is beautiful. There's something hopelessly alluring (at least to me) when you have to look twice at someone to tell their gender. It makes people look otherworldly, be they human or doll...That, and some headmolds can just be easily switched IMHO. Kid Delf Cherry comes in a boy and girl version, for example, and so does Ani. While Hound may not make the most "girly" girl, there are dolls that blur the line almost completely.
      /ramble 8D;;

16. I have to say that I'm not really fond of when people sand female chests to make them into boy bodies, especially the Luts ones. I still see all those curves and think "Girl" based only on body shape. Boobs or no boobs.

But that's not what really bothers me, it's the fact that many of the sanding jobs I've seen haven't been done that well... so it just looks like a girl body with the boobs sanded off, not a boy body (If that makes any sense)... to really make it a boy body there has to be some shaping, perhaps some nippling... because guys have those too :P

I, however, am guilty of taking boy heads and turning them into girl dolls. I have a modded Kohya that I've turned into a girl and I have a modded Syo that I've turned into a girl (both are on actual SD or SD13 girl bodies)... I also have a School Head A that is a girl... to me, there's just something very feminine about a lot of Volks boy head molds... and I see them as either moodier girls, or more adult ones... and to me, the Syo head looks an awful lot like the 4 Sisters heads anyways.

17. I don't mind a little gender-swapping (*eyes her SchA and Shiro girls*), but I'm not into body mods. If I want a doll to be a boy or a girl, I get the body that has the appropriate shape--with or without bits, as I'm fond of Volks' tenshi bodies for some reason--and make it work that way.

I think the closest thing I've seen to the usual "CP girl with boobs sanded" mod that I've actually liked is the SeiRei Yugiri body, as the remaining boobage (yes, it's a word...sort of) is nicely sculpted, if minimal. Mine's a flat-chested girl, my friend Marsh's is an effeminate boy, and I think it works equally well for either.

18. I'm not a big fan of modded girl-turned-boy bodies, simply because most of them really don't look much like males, even minus the boobs. They just look like seriously flat-chested girls. Switching heads is a little more complicated... You have to be very careful about proportion if you want it to work, but once you're past that it can make for some really interesting dolls.

Three of my own girls, for instance... aren't. They're smaller male head sculpts on female bodies, and work pretty well. Small heads + smaller bodies = a good fit. I cringe every time I see a larger male head like an El or a Shiwoo or a Chiwoo on a girl body, though. They look like bobble-heads... That's not a Good Thing. They remind me just a little too much of Bratz. o_O

Girl heads on guy bods are still a different can of worms... If the female head is large enough (Lishe, for instance, holds her own pretty well on a male bod-), it looks fine. A lot of them are way too small in proportion to the body's neck, though, and that can look very, very strange. I'm in the process of selling my '06 Juri head over that issue. I couldn't deal with how mismatched his head and body looked. He was a peanut head! Then again, I look at my Hound sometimes and think exactly the same thing. 'Boy's head is a bit too small for his neck. :sweat

19. I think there was a thread about gender-bending mods in the picture request forum awhile back. I remember seeing some really neat mod jobs.

20. (I hope this isn't a repeat - if so, delete. x3)

Being transgendered, I tend to think about this subject a lot, and having just got into dolls my train of thought has finally settled into this station, so to say. Does anyone have any dolls whose backstory includes being trans, or who might mod, say, a female doll to have male characteristics, or vice versa? So far the current doll I have and the one I am getting soon aren't trans, but I think it would be a really interesting idea, although with fairly complicated/challenging mods. x3

Any thoughts?