1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding the gender of a doll/switching male heads to female bodies+vise versa?

Jan 25, 2007

1. Are you implying there's no other reason you could want a doll than because of its sexual identity? :|

Because, although my dolls are clearly boys or girls and may or may not be 'coupled' with other dolls, sexual identity is extremely low in the list of things that I value about the dolls. At least half of mine are 'androgynous' or change gender based on my mood and what they're wearing.

Whereas for me at least, it's almost impossible to divorce Barbie from her sexual identity. GI Joe makes a better 'butch' girl than Barbie makes a boy.

I like the ambiguousness of BJD's sexual identity (or lack thereof) and the fact that it's not that big an issue for them.

Well, what it comes down to, for me anyway, is that I feel you should be free to attribute whatever sexual identity you like to your BJD or even none at all. I certainly don't think that if you don't feel like sexualizing your dolls then you are somehow 'wasting' them. Like I said, Barbie is inherently sexualized (she did start out as a German sex doll after all) but BJDs are in many ways a 'blank slate' that the owner can imprint with whatever they wish, sexual or not.

H

2. Ryochan: I mean mostly that, in one way or another, a BJD should be thought of and about, not treated like a lump of plastic or a chair. Being intersex, asexual, or androgynous (or anything else) is a sexual identity to an extent, and contributes personality to the doll that would not otherwise be there. Humans can have a lack of sexuality or an immense amount of sexuality, but they still have a personality and, at least to a small extent, their sexual identity (or lack thereof) is a part of who they are. BJDs are nice in that they give a person a chance to explore personalities they otherwise might not be able to, whether that means more or less sexuality than they themselves have. I didn't mean to imply that wanting a doll to not be a sexual being was wasting them in some way. x3 I do believe, however, that all BJDs have the capacity for personality and humanity (as much as a doll can have human-like characteristics), and should be treated and appreciated as such, especially because of the high level of commitment (mostly in monetary form to start with) involved in their acquisition and care.

3. my mom simply thinks all abjd's look like girls, so in her case, the discussion ends before it has even started -_-'

but... I think it can be done, some girlheads would make lovely boyheads, and vice-versa. The same with the body, it just needs to be done with care and enough effort, I think. (and of course not all types of heads/body's are suitable for such a purpose)
      It's part of making your doll personall in his looks.
      I don't think it has anything to do with the dolls personality, though.

4. one of the things i was planning on doing, actually, was putting DOD camine's head on DOD shall's body. he has a very girly face, in my opinion, so i think he could pull it off.

5. If I ever win the lottery, after buying a DK Aaron (@_@ so sexy) I think I would do a cross-dressing doll, maybe with the most masculine head I could find all dolled up and put on a female body with a big dress. I have always liked the more masculine-looking cross-dressers, and I think it would be a challenge to find a BJD who could pull off that look. x3

6. I have an Yder girl with a BW Dollkot leaf body right here, and I'm planning on an El girl sometime in the future. I wont be doing the modding myself, and didn't do it with my yder girl either (Heceta did ^_^), but I think I'll put the head on a CP girl body, and just have the neckhole modded. (:
      I'm extremely happy with my Yder girl - she's so beautiful, and full of personality to me - and I never even think of her as a girl. Actually it took a while for me, while reading this thread, before I came to think of that I actually have a modded boy head xD
      When I see boy Yders, I never really think about it either. Yder is a beautiful boy, so I guess I just enjoy the pics :)
      Also, I have absolutely no problem with the boy/girl modding, and especially not boy heads on modded girl bodies. It suits most of them very well, and it looks kinda hot too xD Btw, there is a Zaoll Luv boy here on DoA somewhere, with orange hair... His body looks kind of girly, but I think it's gorgeus. Actually I'm thinking of getting the Zaoll Luv (and keep her as a girl), and when I first saw a Luv-boy, I really didn't like it. But now it doesn't bother me, really. I really do like the girlyboys, and Zaoll works well for it, I think.
      (:

7. I've been considering an El girl for my next doll...I'd originally wanted a Lishe but I'm worried she'd be a bit too girly for my tough hannyo girl. So it'll probably come down to how I feel about going through the trouble of acquiring a head and body separately when the time comes.

8. I have a boy's head (DoC Yen) on the mature DoC girl's body, and Sydney is a woman. Yen, I dare say, looks BETTER as a girl...but really you could make most of the boy DoCs into girls, especially Twin-B who is pretty much already there in the first place, LOL.

I have seen some extremely girly boys where the head is the girliest girl the company could make, and it's not my taste, but if people like to do it then go ahead!

9. When I finally get a girl, I'm pretty sure she'll have a "boy" head. I love the look of really androgynous dolls :love

10. My Arachne is a Na-nu-ri head on a Lishe body. When i go the Na-nu-ri, i couldn't see him as a boy. Not with those lips! So, i wanted him to be a girl. He made quite a lovely girl. I don't think i could alter a girl body though. Just not my thing.

I tend to like my boys to look like boys, and my girls to look like girls. For the most part, everyone who sees my boys, knows they are boys. Of course, you can't get away from that occasional person who says "Omg, she's so cute!" lol

11. I have a girl doll who's a male head on a female body. Amusingly, she occasionally gets comments that refer to her as a "he," which is a great reversal from the usual; male dolls being mistaken as females!

As you can see, she's all woman:

[​IMG]

I personally love switching doll heads, bodies, hands, feet, and other bits around. So it's no real surprise that, of the three girl dolls I currently own (well, on one I'm still waiting for the release of the Dollstown 15 girl body), two of them have heads that were originally intended to be male. And the other has a head that goes either way, according to the company that made her. But none of my male dolls have female heads, at this point. Perhaps I simply prefer the male sculpts?

12. If they are just mod'ing the body, that's okay with me. There's nothing wrong with slender boys. I've never seen it the other way around Oô and it sounds strange. I can imagine boy heads on girl bodies, but not male bodies turned into girls Oô

As to dressing boy's as girl's.. that's not really my thing XP Boy's should be boys, not wearing dresses and skirts. It may look cute but... honestly, why turn the body into a boy's body if you're dressing it like a girl anyway? Oô

Well, for me, I'm mostly into female dolls, but that's mostly because I like the sculp of the females more. I might find a boy that I like someday... ^^;

13. Well I am planning to get a Twing-Key and put the head on a boy's body ( hopefully trading the girl body with someone for a boy's body, but I'm willing to mod it to a boy body if need be :) )

So I don't find anything strange about it ^ ^

14. I have a question about how other people feel about turning boys into girls or vice versa etc.

I want to collect more elf/goth/vamp - fantasy type dolls but I see more boys with heads that I like than girls.

So if I was to buy a boy (like B&G Elf Sapphira) and turn it into a girl (ie wings clothes eyelashes etc) would that be moral/eithical bjd collector suicide? LOL

15. It's not morally, or ethically suicidial to want a character with a different gender. If you look around the Painting and Aestetics part of the forum, I'm pretty sure there are a few threads where somebody has done just that. Switching of genders, and whatnot.

Do what you want, it's your doll!

16. It's perfectly fine to do that! In fact, there are already quite a few dolls around here on the forums which have 'switched genders' so to speak, and they look amazing! ^^ It's pretty easily done since a lot of the male sculpts have pretty feminine-looking faces anyway. I'd say go for it and I'm sure a lot of people would be excited to see the results! =D

17. Go for it. I have a DOT lahoo that was moided from boy to girl with out a chest as I hate chesty girls and I have never been happier. There your charaters and its is your doll if that is what you want then do it!

18. sounds like an interesting project; i'd be interested to see how it turned out :)

19. I orderd my Afra with a girls body, I'll see how that goes when she arrives. Most the boy dolls I've seen seem pretty feminine to me anyway. If I had of got the boys body I'd have dressed her like a girl so It doesn't seem to make a big difference at the end of the day.

20. Thanks heaps everyone. Im glad that its ok to do that and wouldnt be frowned upon.

Arayana ~ Im trying to decide between Afra and Sapphira. :D One minute I like one better then I like the other..... I prefer Asta's features but Im not too fond of the nose! LOL