1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding the gender of a doll/switching male heads to female bodies+vise versa?

Jan 25, 2007

1. I am lucky enough to get the head now and body later of how I want my doll to be, some companies will allow you to pick and chose bodies and heads, others you have to do it yourself the more expensive way by buying the whole doll they way they see it and then you get the right head or body somewhere else. I think if you can do the switch better, esp later on if you have to sell, but sanding parts off seems to me a bit over done, but like others said it's your doll.

2. I stared at the profile photos side by side for a long time and the other photo's, As far as my conclusion goes Afra looks mature where Sapphira has more youthfull features. I'm yet to see someone put Sapphiras ears on Afra or vice verca too, That might make a big difference to the look. I know what you mean about the nose though, my real nose is like that >.<

I really like Sapphira also and would have been just as happy with Sapphira, just the angular features of Afra seem more elfy to me. They are both very unique looking dolls :aheartbea

3. I agree, I think Afra's features look more mature and elfy too, and would take to a more goth elf type look than Sapphirawould. I guess Ive sort of made my mind up, if I listen to myself! LOL

4. Ha, I do it constantly. I've got three girls right now who have heads that were originally boy sculpts, as it happens. They're all very pretty girls, too.

5. As an artist (and a hopeful someday-doctor!), I think there are too many things different in a female body that simply one would NEVER find on a man. Ever. Unless said man was an XXY male or a hermaphrodite with a lean towards the male side of things, perhaps.

The shape of the back, the more curvaceous body lines (found in females due to larger adipose tissue layering under the skin, and replicated in resin), the narrow shoulders, and THE CHILD-BEARING HIPS which can never be completely removed without serious sanding (the entire thigh portion and the lower half of the torso, plus potential ruining of the ball joint and the socket), the height of the pelvic bones (and therefore, length of pelvis)... Arms and musculature, legs, hand size to face ratio... the butt is also a completely different shape! The list just goes on and on. Not to mention, with the EXTENSIVE amounts of girly and stylized boy heads on the market, I see absolutely no need in taking a feminine-looking woman and making her male. (I'll admit there are some female heads which make decent males. Like MA Vega. But they're extremely limited in number and face-ups must be executed in a careful fashion to keep them manly.)

Therefore, whenever I see a female-modded-male I never think "oh look, a male", I think "Oh look... a woman with no breasts. Poor thing.". I think it makes much more sense to plop a male head on a female body than vice versa, personally. Most of them look like girls anyways. (But I still love them)

6. I'm looking to mod a DIM Danbi into a female. But I will just buy the head seperately and put it on a matching female body. That face just perfectly fits a female character I have in mind, plus I don't find that particular mold to be masculine. To me Danbi looks like a girl, my husband said the same thing when I was looking at the DIM page.

7. I guess one can always do a tad of 'padding' on an immature or male body to fill out any 'bust' required outfits! LOL

Ive sent a message to B+G dolls to find out if I can get an elf head on a female body, instead of having to purchase the extra female body. Im crossing fingers and toes that I can.

8. While generally yes there are always exceptions, while chromosomes in a normal person are xx for girl xy for boy, this isnt always the case for intersexed people, or xxy (47 instead of 46) which is klinefelters syndrome. Bodys are defined by hormones which is not dependent on chromosomes. (bit too deep for doll discussion)

I believe both the B&G distributers offer this.

9. None of mine required modding but I have two girl dolls with boy heads now (MNF Elf Shiwoo and Elf Yder), and currently I'm planning a Seorin girl. Seorin I think will be the first head that I used for a girl that didn't flat out scream girl when I first saw it.

10. I have a Syo that looks like a Megu, and a Mika that looks like a Ken. :D

And my F-22's mold, which is the same as Kun, was originally meant to be a girl. But Kun's also amazing as a boy, so it all works!

11. Klinefelter's syndrome men (they are considered male, intersexuality is completely separate) can often display more 'feminine' characteristics, such as development of breasts and adipose layering under the skin. Although this is not always the case - and I should have clarified that. (Chromosomes also code for proteins, which is what most hormones are. Therefore, the phenotypical characteristics of a human are entirely dependent on the DNA in the chromosomes they carry.)(/END OT)

As for B&G.. I believe they offer this with all of their sculpts - however, their two newest elves seem to both be male, instead of one being the other gender counterpart. So, I'm not sure if they offer that (most companies do, however... some for an additional small fee)

In any case, I see no problems with swapping heads and stuff, since 90% of the boy dolls are rather feminine anyways... I just think the bodies are too different for modification, unless you're willing to sand off 20-30% of the resin.

12. The good news is that I am able to get either of the B&G elf dolls with a female body. YAY!!! Now to just decide between Sapphira and Afra.

I had decided on Afra but the more I see of Sapphira the more I like the grumpy sort of looking face! LOL

13. I was just discussing on a different thread about a girlfriend for DZ Wing, and was just wondering about inter-changing of heads; as in putting a boy head on a girl body etc. I keep mistaking boy dolls for girls because they are so pretty and feminine at the same time...do people do this and make like it's a unisex head or is there always this thing in the background that your girl body doll has a boy head on her?? I have just fallen in love with Dollkot's Hara and think he could be one of these unisex types. What do you think?

14. Cross heading seems fine by me! Right now I'm actually debating getting a DZ Shoyo head to put on a male body... with that head, and a LOT of heads, actually, it seems like if it had the right face up it could still be very boyish while still having the sweet expression.

I figure whatever head best expresses what you want your doll to look like, it's fine. XD

15. Souldoll Marvin is really reeeeeally feminine! You'd never guess from these pics that this head once belonged to one of those very manly Souldoll bodies, right? So I'm buying her a girl body. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. I agree, after all aren't the BJD's all about individuality and customisation...? I didn't really think of it that way before!

17. Your doll's face is exquisite! The eyes look amazing :D

18. Thank you! :) Thats' Marvin's default face-up from Souldoll. I'd love to tell you the number of the eyes she came with, but I have no idea. I just traded them for a pair of blue Masterpiece eyes, actually.

I'm still amazed that this is supposed to be a boy sculpt!

19. The only real 'male' looking part of Marvin (in those pics) is the eyebrows! The eyes are soooo feminine. Stunning really.

I ended up ordering a B&G Sapphira elf on a female body. But they sent her with a male body! ARGHH
      So now Ive ordered a B&G Afra elf on a female body (cross fingers they get it right this time) and Ill switch the heads over..... Afra will be the boy and Sapphira will be the girl. Thats the plan, anyways! LOL

20. When I decided to make the Secret World's character Victoria Victrix, the Dollzone Mo (male) head was dead on, so I ordered it on a female body. Looks terrific, and perfect.