1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modesty with your dolls.

Sep 20, 2011

1. I'm going to say what I'd say in any other circumstances with a "skimpy outfit" question.
      If you got the assets, work em'.

2. I don't think I've ever heard anybody say Barbie is inappropriate b/c you can buy her in a bikini...so why should it be different with a BJD? because they're more realistic? -shrug-

For me, it depends on the doll and character. Ashley is my religious man, he's conservative and doesn't show off his body much at all. Hansel, on the other hand, is a nudist. It varies from character to character.

Now...a poofy dress complete with ruffles, stockings, boots, gloves, etc is way too much for me, as I do think it hides the doll's beauty and to me, looks like a porcelain doll. All you see is the face. But just because I wouldn't dream of putting it on my doll doesn't mean it's a waste to someone who likes that look on theirs.

3. I ahve a ryeon too, and she seems to be VERY happy naked o.o to the extent i sometimes feel bad putting her in any clothes, maybe it the sculpt, it jsut screams show me off!

4. I dress my dolls to suit their characters -- for some that means a modest poofy dress, for others casual looking modern clothes, for others something offbeat that may show more skin. It just depends. There's nothing wrong with it either way. If you want to show off your doll's body, then why not? However, covering more resin skin isn't defeating the purpose, it's just that different owners have different purposes. Besides, clothes can always be changed. Right now I'm really wishing for more clothes to play with *sigh*

5. Ah wait, I forgot about some of my god characters. I'd totally leave them standing around naked - in fact, some day if I have them around, I'd really like to pose them in a similar fashion to Greek statues and just leave them standing naked and proud. That being said, nudity is not inherently sexual. I'm actually more against leaving my doll dressed in a skimpy sexualized outfit (unless, again, the setting and the character called for it) than fully in the buff but not sexualized. Human bodies are beautiful, and they should be respected. ^^

And no I wouldn't put my naked dolls away if a kid came around. Frankly, if a child doesn't know that men have peepees and women have boobies (the two obvious characteristics), something went seriously, seriously wrong somewhere. Obviously, it's not something you need to draw a super huge amount of attention to or parade around, but I think trying to pretend it's not there is kind of... disturbing.

And I obviously wouldn't tell someone how to dress their doll. Now, I might not necessarily like it, and if coupled with, say, strange behaviour I might make some personal, keep-to-myself type of conclusions, but I wouldn't get all in their face like "You don't play with your dollies the right way".

6. I do think it's up to you. :)
      It's your doll, your own doll clothings, shoes, etc.
      If you want to dress your doll like this or that, it's your right to do it.

Some people perhaps don't like dolls showing too much skin or the joints.
      It's their right to cover all of the body, so you can only see his/her face.
      It's matter of preference. ^^

7. For me it depends on the doll and their personality. I have one that while has no problem showing skin (or lounging around in her undies for that matter), tends to be dressed more modestly. My other one likes her short yukata so that she can show skin if she wanted to, and still be pretty modest at the same time.

Now my fairy, for her size she's got some decent assets. And being a Fae she doesn't really get the whole human modesty thing and would much rather be naked. She keeps the clothes on for the sole purpose of warmth. And then I've got my anthro... who is, well, naked all the time. :lol:

I think that if I were to take my dolls out into public non-dolly meet places, I would want them to be dressed fairly modest so that people don't get the wrong idea. Otherwise in my own home, in my room, they can be dressed however they or I want.

8. I personally think it should depend more on the personality of the doll. If the doll is a prude then they probably won't be showing off a lot of skin. If the doll is naughty, well, they probably won't be wearing a whole lot. And so on and so forth ...

9. That just seems silly to me... it's a doll! Dress her however you want!

I've actually been wanting a Supia Lina since they came out with her and if I ever get her she'll probably rarely ever wear clothing because she has such a beautiful body. I'm female and I'm straight so it's not like I'm lusting after her body or anything I just think she's beautiful and I'd want to show that off. Plus I'd save so much money on clothing!

10. I like my dolls lying around half-naked. X3 One of the reasons I love these dolls is because of the work that goes into sculpting them, so naturally, I would like to see that work as often as I can. X3

11. just like people i think a doll can be beautiful and sexy fully clothed and without, i feel that many clothes show of a curvy feminine figure or a masculine male one equally as well as showing some skin.

but if your doll has a gorgeous figure why not show it off if your comfortable with people seeing that, its your choice, do what ever you want

12. To each their own. I dress and undress dolls regularly depending on my mood. And if she's got some cleavage, why shouldn't she show it off? I would XD

13. My doll has to arrive yet. But I would her like to look classy with or without showing lots of skin. But it all depends on taste I think.

14. It's your doll. Do as you please. Don't let people get you down. I personally prefer modest, but I don't care what other people do as long as it's not illegal.

15. To each their own...

I tend to be pretty conservative with my own dolls (male or female-), but that's just my own preference. The only time anyone else's style choices make me really raise an eyebrow is when they go "stripper-chic" with a very child-like MSD or Tiny. That always seems a little off to my eye, but their doll = their call, right?

16. Hehe didn't think this thread would get so many responses :D My girls character is kind of complex I suppose. She is rather shy but the cloths she wears might make one think otherwise. Her cloths don't necessarily fit her personality but cloths that show off a bit are what she looks best in.

17. In general, I think it is okay to dress your doll as you want, as long as it is not against the law. This, like others in this thread have already said, would mean not bringing dolls with adult mods or sporting adult accessories to a meet-up naked, and not showing this kind of dolls to children.

chromegadget, I think the reason why people are sometimes telling you these things is not the way you dress your doll. It is, like you mention yourself in your first post, the fact that you are male. So most people will assume that you are also heterosexual, and that you are dressing your doll in sexy clothing because you like to look at a scantily-clad female shape. This leads to the assumption that you objectify women. What people often forget, is that none of those have to be true (though they can, of course). But since the majority of people in this hobby are female, you will encounter the problem again and again. Females experience objectification of the female body from their earliest childhood, be it good or bad. They will assume (maybe rightly, maybe not) that you are no different. Or have guys ever told you that your (female) doll should wear more modest clothing?

(...And yes, many female doll owners in this hobby treat their male dolls exactly the same, letting them wear sexy clothing or none at all. But since the male body is less objectified in the media and the everyday life, this behaviour is not perceived as a danger to the male integrity ^^).

For my dolls specifically, I like them to alternate between more or less clothing, depending on the weather, season, and situation. It can be almost everything from "hotpants, corset and high-heels" to "undershirt, underpants, sweater, baggy pants, jacket, beanie, socks and boots). That said, my favourite size is Minis, and they differ in shape and body sculpt. I don't dress my more "childlike" Minis (who represent characters somewhere in the age of 14 to 17) in "sexy" outfits.

18. Also adding to this, it's perceived as a 'good' thing by the media for a male to be strong, muscular and powerful - we've all heard the feminista line "For each woman he sleeps with, a man is more a stud, but for each man she sleeps with..." It's seen as a good thing for women to appreciate male beauty (especially male sexual beauty), but any time a man appreciates a woman's beauty he's seen to be 'objectifying' her.

So, Dollblue, I really think you've hit the nail on the head with this particular problem. ^_^

19. No no I definitely don't do anything illegal with my doll and I hope no one would think/assume that I do, but that's a different thread I think. Not to many people (outside of conventions and meets) know that I own a doll so I don't get to many comments on what she wears. As for the "age" of the doll, I don't necessarily put an age to my doll. One of the reasons I got the minifee is because of her size. She isn't so small that she looks really young but she's small enough to hide pretty easily in a book bag or whatever.

20. If you buy a large bust doll, then one would assume it's so you can put bust flattering clothes on it, becomes it's a very womanly doll. If you purchase a doll with a small bust, and is modeled after say, a teenager, then of course you would cover it up some. It's a matter of preference and you should do whatever you want with your doll.