1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Moments of Tenderness

Mar 17, 2007

1. This thread is so warm and fuzzy ;o; Subscriptiooon~

Last year was pretty bad, but this year (school year) has been especially crappy. :( I'm a very lonely person when it comes to kids my age. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like them/get attached to them very easily. I can get along with anyone at least three or four years older than me fantastically, but not anyone my age... Anyway, this is the first year I've been an "only" child (my second oldest sister went off to college, and both my parents work, so I'm home alone a lot of the time). I have a dog, but she's pretty big and I can't really cuddle with her .-.
      I've felt particularly awful lately, so I've been dragging my boy to bed with me. I tell myself not to for fear of breaking him, but I cling to him pretty tightly when I'm sad; just having something to hang on to is comforting. The smell of resin is comforting to me, so just laying there with the resin scent and my cute little boy makes me feel a gajillion times better. :) Just looking at his smirk makes me smile. He makes me feel confident; when I have him with me, I can remind myself that he and I will be heading off to college soon enough and then I can start fresh!

2. OMG! I love this thread, it is so sweet!

I have depression and I got my Aine about a year ago, just shortly after having my first daughter. Being depressed as a new mom was not very easy, but I never really had any 'cuddle' moments with my doll to make me feel better. She would just sit on my printer watching me work at my computer desk and just the thought that she was watching over me calmed me. I would periodicly look up at her and even though her face-up was not painted with a smile, I still felt like she was smiling at me. so I would smile back and somehow that made me feel less stressed.

Well, just recently, I saw that B&G (the maker of my doll) had upgraded not only their doll bodies but the face mold of my doll. I thought about selling my doll and buying the new model. I had it all arranged too! My friend would buy her and I would use the cash from the sales to buy the new doll. Well, my friend came to pick up Aine, but I was already breaking down. I was (at the time) 5 months pregnant with my second daughter so I was very hormonal and very attached to my doll. having packed her up the night before, I deeply missed her watching me from her perch on my printer. So when my friend came to pay for her and take her home, I was bawling. Luckily (for me anyway), my friend had her hours cut at work and knew she would need the money so we mutually agreed that it would be in both of our best interest if she did not buy Aine. I was happy to have my girl back in her spot watching me later that afternoon, but hubby knew I was still somewhat upset. Since he knew I was having a really tough time with the pregnancy and I was looking forward to getting the new doll and the situation with almost parting with Aine had stressed me so deeply, he gave me a special treat. He told me that I could get the remodeled doll even though we could barely afford her. Luck struck again and we got our tax returns back quickly and with more than we had anticipated so he even let me get the IH Limited Harin floating head + fullset dress that a friend on DOA was selling. Well, I have the Harin head and her dress, she is now named Temperance and I am waiting for Iple to ship me her body, and Aine's sister Brigit will be shipped tomorrow so I should have her within the week!

So, not really a cuddle moment or even a moment of tenderness, but still very sweet and close to my heart.

3. Instance #1: My father wasn't super keen about Vincent when he arrived. He'd always call Vincent "Miss" and other such things to bother me, as fathers tend to do. I couldn't ever see him so much as thinking about touching Vincent. Well, just a few weeks after I got him, my parents were down from Elko visiting family in my city for the week. I had a very rough day at work one day (Yelled at by three different customers in person, yelled at by management for choosing not to process one of the costumer's distasteful pictures of her naked child, then threatened and called many non-postable nouns over the phone because I could not transfer a customer to the very busy pharmacy, found out someone stole my identity and tried to clean me out of all my money) so when I got home I just sat against my livingroom wall and tried not to cry. My father, seeing this, went to my room, brought Vince out and put him in my lap. I ended up losing it in the end anyway, so poor vince had to be completely washed that night.

Instance #2: I was driving to Mountain View for a concert in August, and seeing as how I've never been to San Francisco, I thought I ought to stop by on the way. Well, I got up early and began the five hour drive to SF. I did great until I got to the Oakland Bay Bridge, where a lady and her daughter were goofing off in their SUV. The daughter was driving and slammed on her brakes in the middle of open freeway while they were goofing around. It had been raining for a little bit and I slid into them. Wrecked my bumper pretty nice. Took care of all that nonsense and moved on, only to be lost for 6 hours in San Francisco, 3 of which were spent attempting to find a gas station. After I'd had enough, I found myself heading back towards Oakland, so I decided to go to my hotel, which was located in Fremont, CA. Well, I got really lost trying to find that too. It's not that I lack a sense of direction so much as I have such a fear of getting lost that I think so much about it I end up getting lost anyway. I'm in some city I don't know the name of at this point. I'm on the phone with my parents, who have a GPS and could at least remotely tell me where the hell I am and how to get back where I was supposed to be when I have one of the most brutal panic attacks I've ever had in my life. I was petrified for a good 15 minutes of hell. When I finally got to my hotel room, I latched on to Vincent and sobbed. It felt like he was there for me. He was riding in the passenger seat the whole trip, so he went through the whole ordeal with me, and I'm sure if I did not have him there I would have ended up losing it completely. I fell asleep with him in my arms and when I woke up the next day he was smirking in my face, as Aidas tend to do. I couldn't help but smile, kiss his wig and say "good morning vince!" He has been and will always be my favorite doll. We ended up getting lost another five million times, but it was nice to know that I had a friend through it all.

4. Hehe, I loved reading all the stories- this is a nice thread! They are sweet stories, I wish I had one to add.

5. I can't remember what caused it but one night I felt very, very sad for some reason. Sat in front of the computer and tried to watch some old slapstick and anime to cheer myself up but it hardly made a difference so hubby placed Dante in my knee. I was just about to embrace my little resin boy when all of a sudden he, by himself, flung his arms around my neck and tilted his head against mine. ^_^

6. This is such a cute thread. <3

My dolls have been there for me through a ton of bad stuff and they always make me feel better. I went through a really rough junior year, my beloved dog died and my parents divorced. I already had anxiety problems and I fell into a bit of depression on top of that. I got really numb with my parent's divorce, but whenever it got really bad I would pick Nezi up and sit her with me and just cuddle her. She'd sit in my bed and when I had hard times falling asleep I'd hold her hand and be asleep within fifteen minutes.
      And when Sydney (my beloved Golden Retriever) died I was a wreck. I cried for hours after having put her down and the whole time Nezi sat in my arms, just a calming sort of presence. Almost like she was telling me she was listening and she'd be there for me. <3 When we picked up the ashes I went back home and sat hugging Nezi and it really helped me to handle it better. It was a really horrible experience for me because Sydney was so young, but Nezi helped make it bearable.
      Hana has been with me for less time, but she's helped me in some hard situations too. I recently had a hard fall out with a very good friend, but even though Hana brings hard memories she brings good ones too. She's very portable and I can take her with me when I'm having a hard day. Her hands are perfect for holding my finger and comforting me. And though Nezi has a more solid, comforting presence, Hana is still very special to me, and has her own calming aura. <3

7. I've noticed that I tend to gravitate toward different dolls depending on what is the matter, but when it comes down to it my go-to guy for cheering up is my NaNuRi 2006, LaSalle. He was my first doll, and from the very beginning he's been comforting me; sometimes when I might not have even deserved it -
      When he first arrived he was just a head, and I had gushed over him for so long that I brought him to school with me; he hadn't even been home a full week. My friends and I were sitting in a circle in the grass, talking about things and talking about how strange it was that I had a shrunken head on my finger (I was in the process of making the mandatory, bodiless doll, bobble-head doll joke), when suddenly some guy rushed up out of complete nowhere. Suddenly LaSalle was no longer in my hands. The guy and some miscreant cohort of his started charging up the field away from us, THROWING HIM back and forth like a football. All I could picture in my head was my gorgeous, precious doll being tossed onto the pavement and shattering into pieces. Luckily a friend of mine who was taller, faster, and more readily able to kick some booty than I wrestled him away from the thugs. All of that day all I could do was cry, look into Sally's little brown eyes and say how sorry I was that I had let something like that happen to him, and I even compulsively washed him a few times. But even after all of that (and this was back when he had a cranky-looking face-up, no less) all he ever did was just look back at me as if to say "It's okay, don't worry about it. I'm fine." Looking back on it, despite the nearly fatal consequences it was a powerful bonding experience for me. Even now, as I'm typing this, he's sitting in my lap with a look on his face like "I can't believe you're bringing this up after all this time." He's definitely still my number one. My fingers fit perfectly in his hands, he always smiles at me, and sometimes, when I'm looking from just the right angle, it feels as if there's someone in there staring me right in the face. I rub his back and feel soothed, I hear his little joints moving and even the squeaky noises comfort me.

Since then we've had several experiences that are less scary and more saddening, and through all of them I have had my dolly family to comfort me when no one else could or would. To me, my dolls epitomize the success of emotional healing.

8. And within two seconds here I am again. My cat just knocked my Demian head onto the floor (asfjdkgjkdfa kitty!). He's perfectly fine after dropping from at least two and a half feet and bouncing, even, several times (a testament to the quality of Ricky's work!). I hate to think how severe my reaction might have been if LaSalle hadn't been sitting with me.

9. Man this thread is actually bringing a tear to the eye. ;~; So sweet &#9829;

I don't have many stories but whenever I feel down and I can't get a friend or family member to talk to I snuggle up to one of my boys and I just feel a lot better. It's like they're really there for me. And I know I can count on them to always be there.

Once when I was sick really bad my mom tucked me in and my sister - who is horribly against my dolls completely (she thinks they're creepy) - picked Seth up, and tucked him into his bed with his teddy and everything facing me so I could see him when I was laying in bed. I didn't want him to be in the bed with me while I was so ill.

It was just really a nice gesture.

10. I don't have any specific time where this has happened to me because it seems to happen to frequently. I will just say that my dad has some serious anger issues and he gets uptight and says some pretty hurtful things when he's upset. Whether he means it or not a lot of the time it doesn't matter because myself and the rest of the family still hears it and well it doesn't feel good. But whenever I would go into my room my boy would be sitting right there in his bed like he usually is when he's just relaxing on his own and a lot of the time just seeing him there would bring a smile to my face reminding me eventually my dad will get over whatever it is that's setting him off and things will be back to normal. Playing with his hair and just kind of looking at him makes me think of the places that I've brought him the times that I've shared him with my friends and that always makes me feel better.

11. Oh my god these are all so precious! D:
      I want to hear moooore.
      Bumping this! :whee:

12. That is so sweet!

About two months ago, I had a pretty crappy night when my landlord's wife (who happens to be my aunt) called me up to say I had to move out of the house I'd been renting for nearly a year, ASAP, because they were getting a divorce. Mind you, they decided this in January of 09 and told me March of this year, so I was kind of getting the bum's rush out. Even though I had signed a lease, they knew I couldn't fight them in court over it, and my landlord (uncle) was going to be moving into the house, and yadda yadda yadda.

So it was a whirlwind of finding a new place to rent (found one, luckily!) and getting everything packed in a matter of a week and a half. Everything was so stressful because I loved "my" little house, and I was so strained and tired; one afternoon after work I just sat down among my boxes and needed a nap on the couch. Elias, my DZ Mo-2, was out, and so I picked him up and sat him on my arm and his weight was so reassuring, it was one of those indescribable moments, but it was also kind of soothing too.

It's gotta sound weird, but I fell asleep like that, and when I woke up, he was leaning up against my head with his arms up and sort of on top of my head. It helped a lot ^^

Now I'm in my new place, and it's all good! I haven't slept with a "dollie" since I was eight years old and I had a good laugh at myself afterward, but just sleeping with him on my arm was great and just what I needed! I told my best friend, and then promptly told her if she told ANYone I slept with my "doll-baby" I'd hunt her down (jokingly). Turns out, I just told a million DOA members, so I guess she's free to tell anyone at all!

I know exactly how you feel! In 2006 I lost my bunny rabbit named Momiji like, a day before a convention. I wish I had a doll to comfort me then, because Fruits Basket stuff was every where in the dealer's room and I started crying in the middle of the floor. Not bawling, but sniffling little tear drops. Dolls are great for comforting, though; I'm glad your boy could do that for you.

13. I have one that recently happened. My grandmother, my baby brother, and I were going out to take pictures of a new structure that was put up, and I brought Nanashi with me. My grandmother doesn't really care, least not as much as my mom, but nonetheless she didn't say anything bad about me bringing him with us. When I was taking pictures of my brother and the structure, I stood the doll up near him and positioned him for some pictures too. When I was done taking pictures of my brother, I started taking pictures of Nanashi, my grandmother hand looked at them and responded "He's a photogenic little [****] isn't he?" I laughed and nodded. Then she said "He's sure got a big nose, gives him a real boy look." And that, for the first time since I had my boys, had she ever said anything about them being manly or male like in any way. Which for me was quite touching. Since she is always teasing me about how "girly" he is, and should be turned into a girl.

It's not as touching of a story as some here, but that's as touching as my family has gotten with my dolls.

14. I intend to fall asleep while hugging Sakura. Everytime before I go to sleep I just grab my dolls and hug them. I was first used to Minifee size, it's to small to hug and not being afraid to break the doll. But Sakura is SD size and I love to hug her.

15. Aww, this is a sweet thread. I have a lot of stories like this, I hug on my dolls all the time when I'm feeling down, but two in particular come to mind.

The first was when I had food poisoning so bad it put me in the hospital because I couldn't keep anything down and I was severely dehydrated. My housemates at the time asked me if I wanted anything from the house before they came to visit me, some stuffed toy to hug or something, and I told them I wanted Lucian, my Chiwoo. They brought him to me and I just held him all night, lying him by my left side (the IV was on my right :|), cuddling him and holding his hand (and explaining to the nurses that yes, he was a boy >.>)...I may have even put my head in his lap. It was lonely in that hospital, so far away from my loved ones (when I'm in a situation like that all I want is my mommy, but my mommy was like 2000 miles away) and feeling so weak and icky, but having my Looshy there made it bearable.

The second time was one Christmas when there was lots of drama going down...I was at my roommate's family's party and their drama was making me miss my own family terribly. I had brought Schu (my Yukinojo) to the party and at one point it just got too much and I broke down...I pressed my face against Schu's chest and started crying, and I just sat there and held him, my face pressed against his chest, and ignored everything else until I could calm down again. I don't like to think how horrible I would have felt if I hadn't had him there to cling to...I would have felt completely alone, but with him there, I felt like I at least had someone.

16. Aww~ thank you for sharing stories that made my frown turn upside down! *shot*

Anyways...

One night, I remember waking up from a particularly bad nightmare... I remember taking Aine and setting her on the side of my bed that touches the wall so she wouldn't fall... I woke up to have her hand on my head! Needless to say, it was a quite comforting happening. She can be so sweet when she wants to (evil as well, mind you! XD)

17. When I woke up at 4:30 in the morning this morning I felt horrible.
      I'm really ill right now and I just want to cry the whole time because my throat is so sore.
      So when I woke up I immediatly started to cry and next to me in my bed Emily was looking like she felt bad for me, she had her arms stretched (I think I put her in that pose in my sleep, I intend to move a lot in my sleep) as if she wanted to hug me.
      So I hugged for almost half an hour while sobbing the whole time.
      Now she's sitting on my lap and I'm sure I'll be dragging her around the house whole day while I feel miserable.

18. This thread is very moving. Many of the stories made me cry. I can relate to the way everyone feels about their dolls. I haven't had my dolls for very long compared to everyone else, (only since 2011) but they have come to mean a lot to me. I lost everything I owned at one time, and had to start over. Also within a span of just 4 years I lost my fiance and my mom and one of my best friends, all to cancer.
      I didn't have BJDs then, but now they give me a lot of joy and comfort when I'm feeling sad. Just seeing them can put a smile on my face.

19. A bump for one of the most touching threads on this forum. Your stories uplift and move me. I hope this thread keeps going.

I can't think of a story that stands out in particular, but I've had many instances where my dolls have comforted me when distressed, and just spending time taking care of them has reduced my stress levels a lot. I'm really grateful for my BJDs ^_^

20. Before my mother passed away I would take my doll Abadon with me when I would visit her. She seemed to enjoy seeing him and the different ways I would dress him or have his hair and eyes. She would smile and say, "Well hello Abadon" then kiss me hello. When she passed I went home and sat with him on my lap and cried. And it was almost like he said I know, I miss her to, very comforting.