1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Money on BJD Vs. Money on Self!!!

Jun 16, 2011

1. I absolutely loathe shopping for myself, so I end up wearing stuff to death and only buy new clothes when I literally have to. Even then, I'm all about thrift stores & clearance racks.

On the other hand, I adore shopping for my boys and seem to be rather addicted to browsing various sites and planning outfits. So, needless to say, they dress far better than I ever will, and their clothes are certainly much nicer and considerably more stylish than anything I'd purchase for myself.

I regret nothing. ;)

2. I almost never have enough money for my hobbies these days so spending more on my dolls is hardly an issue. However, when I do have cash, I tend to get a little tempted from time to time to buy something... but rent and food always come first. :c My own needs are much more important than those of my pretty little inanimate dolls. Plus I hate when they have more/better clothes than I do. >:/

3. I feel like I have this problem but I honestly don't :'D I'm trying to save money to buy my doll some clothes and such but it's really torturous every time I go to the mall and want to buy myself things. Mind you I'm a major shopaholic when it comes to clothes, makeup and jewelry! However, I have TONS of clothes and my parents always say I buy way too much so I kind of think buying doll stuff will be good for me because clothes I make my parents buy but dolly things I save up for and earn myself! so I feel like I should be buying people clothes but really I think I need to break and spend my money elsewhere.

4. I agree with the already said before. When I am buying something for my BJD is also something for me as I enjoy this hobby I love so much with them, but for sure it is not the same when I buy something to use it on them than when I buy something to use it on me. Let's take clothes as example, for instance. No matter if both things have the same price or not. 100% of the times I go for and purchase what I am going to use on my resin crew and some few so do I about what I want to use on me if there is enough money left for it.

5. I spoil my dollies more because when they are pretty it makes me happy and as long as I am fed and have even ratty clothes to wear I am content.

6. I agree with whitefrosty. I was never a big spender growing up and preferred to save my money (except for when it came to videogames XD) rather than buy myself a bunch of clothes and junk. But once I joined the doll-collecting bandwagon, I finally had things to spend my money on! I feel like buying for my dolls is buying for myself, because I am ultimately the one who "plays" with the new items, right? Though I would like to take a break and buy myself a well-deserved cosplay or anime figure, etc. ^___^;;

7. I have way too many hobbies, games, computer parts, figures, and dolls. What I know for sure is that I definitely spend more money on clothes for my dolls than for clothes for myself!

8. I bought my doll Ein with one outfit and one pair of shoes, one wig and one pair of eyes. He turned up with two outfits, two pairs of shoes and two pairs of eyes ^^ I've had him for four years and he's never had any new clothes. He's perfect as he is, and honestly when I'm photographing him I tend to take his clothes off anyway. I like to see his joints, and his beautiful body, it's really aesthetically pleasing.

9. I find that I can resell some of my doll clothes so that justifies me buying them. So I do my best to work within my doll wardrobe. If I buy new clothes...I need to sell some. Doesn't ALWAYS work that way...but it does help.

10. I agree, spending money on the dolls is spending money on yourself, but.... Well, I had been spending my allowance for around three months just on the dolls. I told myself I had to stop spending so much because I wanted to spend money at a yearly anime con and to buy 150$ worth of manga after that, since i havnt purchased manga in almost a year. Well then I find these parts for my doll, and what do I do? Buy them with money I don't have (money taken out of my allowance for the next month) So thats it for buying the manga when I wanted it. Then I eyed these tinies I wanted, and considered not spending any money at the con to afford them. My friend forced me to buy stuff at the con, which I am extremely grateful for, but now instead of saving up for the manga like I should I'm saving for the tinies, pushing back the manga purchase even further! I love my dolls, but it is a bit ridicules. Oh well, in the end I do buy what I want the most ^_^

11. I don't bat an eye spending $50 for doll shoes, or $150 for an outfit, but would be appalled to spend that on shoes/clothes for myself sometimes. It's really weird.

12. OK. Good. Glad I joined this community. I know that I'm not weird.... alright, weird, but not alone, when I realize that my doll is better and far more expensively kitted out than I am.

I do think it's money well spent, though. Dressing up the dolls is such fun, and having a constant trickle of little "surprises" coming through the post for them makes life a little sweeter. I'd go without a new shirt (with no holes in it) for that.

13. I spend almost all my money for dolls and their outfits. There is never any money left to buy something for me (the jeans I'm wearing right now are about to disintegrate, can't even remember how long I own them...), I visit the hairstylist only every 3 months while I buy about 10 wigs in the same time for my dolls.

14. Oh I defiantly buy more for my dolls then myself. But I pay fro my dolls clothes and such with my allowance and sales from dolls and stuff. My own clothes comes out of house budget. But I am happy with my jeans & T-shirts. It's the special occasion stuff I dread looking for. :lol: Thing is my dolls look good in so many styles and types of clothes. Me not so much. They are tall, good looking or cute and sweet. Me! I am short, not thin in years and over 50 so as long as I don't look like a slob in public it's all good.

15. I spend a LOT more on my dolls than anything else! But I don't regret it because my doll hobby is my main hobby, everything else ties into it in some way (sewing, painting, sculpting, etc). Most non-doll related stuff I buy, like shoes, jewelry, accessories, other toys, I end up regretting because it gets pushed aside for the dolls and I feel like I wasted money.

In short, spoiling my dolls makes me happy.

16. I'm sure most of us have that issue. I feel so good when I get good pictures of my dolls. So it‘s ok to buy more outfit more shoes more wig and more eyes....TVT

17. As for me, who's gonna be a father to an A&D Ver.2 soon... I do not think spending Money on dolls is that bad at all, it's like everyone says here... Spending Money for yourself, well most of it of course, but the most rewarding thing is when you see your doll go that item you want. And that's priceless! :)

18. Spending money on my dolls IS spending money on myself. ;)

19. i spend ALL my money on Kloey, although I did get myself a couple of Diana cameras and a netbook of my own :P (got sick of using the hubby's) but other then that, it's been all her with the occasional new bag here and there for me xD

20. I make my dollies' clothes rather than buying them; most of my doll money goes to actual dolls. Which I kind of consider spending money on me.

Not to say I don't run up quite the bill at the JoAnn. But I hope to make at least some of that back with what I produce. :sweat