1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Money on BJD Vs. Money on Self!!!

Jun 16, 2011

1. This exactly. We spend money on what we want most.

2. I definitely spend more money on doll clothes than I do my own wardrobe. I stopped growing taller when I was young, so most of my clothes still fit and I only periodically update my clothes whenever something starts getting holes or the colors fade, which considering the price I pay for them takes a darn long time. Fairly certain one of my shirts is 6 years old and still looks the same as when I first bought it.

On the other hand, even a single doll outfit costs quite a bit of money...so it ends up costing a lot just after a few. If there were cheaper, they'd probably be quadruple the number of clothes meant for me.

I guess it'd be different if I was fashion conscious. But my style hasn't changed since middle school [10 years], so I'm content with buying the same kinds of shirts and pants. The only real variety is the colors. Orange/yellow/green/black/blue/red/gray/etc etc, and patterns like stripes or solid or checker pattern. That kinda thing. Since I'm most comfortable wearing those kinds of shirts, I don't really need a big clothing budget. The only real thing that comes even close to comparing to the prices I pay for bjd outfits would be my suits and ties. y'know, fancy stuff for the workplace or ceremonies. That stuff is naturally expensive, after all.

Same goes with shoes.
      My feet are small and haven't grown in ages, so the same pairs of shoes last for literal years. Where if I wasn't so budget conscious I'd buy my dolls every pair of shoes under the sun.

When I think about it, it feels really weird. But I realize that for me, clothes are something I buy for practical reasons, as I don't particularly care to express myself through them like I do my dolls. Pardon the expression, but I like to doll them up and make them look super nice and fancy for photos. For me, doll clothes aren't a necessity, but a desire. And I tend to spend more on my wants than my needs, because as far as need goes adequate is more than satisfactory for me [in terms of clothes and shoes], where with bjd clothes "good enough" is "not good enough at all."

-shrugs- I guess it's a "once basic desires are met, splurge on the extras." kinda thing with me.

3. Actually I'm not really a huge "spender". BJD really are THE hobby that makes me spend my money. Otherwise, well, I practically never buy new clothes nor shoes, I don't have a passion for expensive bags and I'm fine keeping the same phone and computer for five years as long as they work decently. I don't smoke, I don't like to wear make up. I do spend a little in video games, not that much though, and try to buy only second hand games to a cheap price or wait for sales on the ps store for example. And since I still live with my parent's, almost all my money goes to dolls xD

4. Lol, Im exactly the same. Before I got into BJD, Ive spent a lot on clothes, shoes and games. Since I got this amazing high heel collection, that no shoes can catch up to them. And now I collect shoes for dolls :whee:

5. I do still buy the occasional manga for myself but everything I spend are mainly for dolls.

6. The only things I buy for myself are hobby things, so buying doll things is the same as buying for myself. I don't need to buy art supplies since I do digital art, and I rarely buy video games since my boyfriend probably already has them. So other than food, it's mostly just doll things.

7. Spending money on your dolls is technically spending money on yourself... it is your hobby and it'll make you happy, so why not? ^^

8. I don't have a BJD yet, but it will go to the same group as other dolls and figures etc. at this moment. Sometimes I buy for myself more things than for my dolls, and sometimes I buy more for my dolls than for myself. It alternates with each other. :D

9. I guess I'm at a point where I pretty have everything I need and have a low overhead to maintain myself. I have other hobbies so I'll spend money there. As far as clothing, shoes, etc...I don't need anything so I tend not to spend anything on myself because I don't need to. I think it's why I enjoy shopping for my dolls because there are things that "they need", like wigs, eyes, clothes, etc. But if I do need to buy clothing for myself - I don't reprioritize for my dolly things, I just buy it.

10. I wish I could spend my money more on dolls. Bills, my animals, and my wedding have been eating up all the money I want to spend on myself and my dolls. But when I was younger and still living at home I seemed to have that problem. I would want a new pair of shoes or new clothes or a game but then I would see a doll I fancy or a wig I like and a paycheck later I had barely anything left for things for me. I guess you just have to find a good balance and a little restraint haha.

11. I can say I don't spend much on myself but I also don't spend too much on dolls' stuff.
      On one side, about myself, although I love to go to the cinema and I'm lately gaining more interest in clothing (I have always been the one that said "comfy before beauty"), I am not likely to go shopping or doing things outside more than necessary. So I only use my money for food and other necessary things.
      On the other side, I have a separate place for doll money, which is usually around 250$/year and that's the only money I can spend on they. This money is also for other hobbies (video-games mainly).

12. I get those sometimes. I have a list of clothes and things I want for myself but I tend to forgo it for the dolls until I get fed up with them and splurge on myself. Or until my boyfriend gets fed up and tells me no doll purchases for a while. One time wanted to finally spoil myself separate from myself so bad I bought a Lolita dress I haven't even worn because I don't have a shirt lol.

13. The money I spend on my dolls, is money spent on me, since they are mine and I choose to spend on them :XD:

14. While I have to admit I love buying g shoes and clothes for me, I really love looking through the outfits for bids. I think it's because I am a lot braver on the types of bjd outfits than what I would ever wear myself. I can let my imagination run more freely.

15. I make sure that my clothing and things are taken care of first, and if I have extra to spend on doll clothes and accessories, that's great! I'll be honest and say I didn't always have this perspective, especially when I first started this hobby. I was willing to make wardrobe sacrifices to get a doll. Priorities have changed and I realized it makes me really happy to have an updated wardrobe with quality items for myself, and I've also realized that I'm content with my BJD collection.

16. Yup. I spoil my babies. It's like an abusive relationship.

17. I do find it rather hilarious when I cringe at the price of a household item(dishwasher, microwave ect..), yet I'll dish out $100+ for the kids with no regrets.. X3