1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

MSD dolls in name only?

Feb 6, 2008

1. I personally don't like having younger children as dolls, so even though there is a size difference between my SD and my two MSDs, I still consider them about the same age (18 and 19 vs. 22). They just... Don't stay in the same shot all lined up when I'm taking photographs. And in my mind they're more size-appropriate in comparison. D: It moreover depends on the sculpt, but just for my opinion I prefer them to be older teenagers.

Actually, I've been debating selling my MSDs for another SD. Now that I finally have the larger size in my hands I realize that I like it a bit more. :<

2. I think of MSD as Volks Mini Super Dollfie, MSD-size as meaning other similarly sized immature minis, and slim mature minis as just slim mature minis.

As I understand it, Volks SD10's were supposed to represent 10 year olds and since MSD's were used as their younger siblings, MSD's would be representing children younger than 10.

But many immature minis now have shapes that are more mature than Volks MSD. Many are slimmer overall, and have slimmer waists and some immature girls have small breasts (like the new Kid Delf, etc.). So many immature minis now seem to represent young teens rather than children.

Slim mature minis are obviously older in shape and I think they can represent any age from about 13 to late 20's or older.

Carolyn

3. all my dolls are slim minis: 2 Lati Blues, 2 MNF, 1 Narae. Except for Narae, my girls are high schoolers. Narae is about 10 years older. I have no plans on getting a large doll because I need all my dolls to fit together. the only MSDs I think are in proportion to SDs are the Volks ones, because of their chubby bodies and hands.

4. I'm only interested in the mature minis and not child like dolls (they still can be cute, owned by someone else though, but they're NOT for me) Personally I don't see this size group as children at all, it's just a smaller size that fits me better, where some dolls are child like and others are not.

I'm all for more mature minis and would especially love to see a bigger and better variation of mature males, with mature faces too, no just grown up bodies. I would love males that looked older than teens.

Annefia!

5. I don't know if I'm understanding the question correctly, but..

My minis are adults. I don't know, nor do I care, if they look that way to other people, but they are my characters and I've aged them at 28.
      I'm actually slightly offended when people imply that all minis are children. As a short adult with a round face and chubby little fingers... in my world, short with a round face and chubby fingers just does not automatically equal child. :sweat

Whats really funny is when I have my guys interact with my friends' 21-24 year old SDs. :lol: But they understand that they're dolls, and dolls come in different sizes. .... Kind of like how it is possible for a Terrier to be older than a Great Dane, even though they're shorter. ;)

6. I very much prefer the mature looking minis. Like some others have said I also do not automatically associate the 'MSD' tag with 'child-like'. For me MSD just denotes size and nothing more. I pretty much think of my LatiBlue Yern, 'Tuppence' as a smaller woman than my SD girls - or even of a different scale - not as necessarily younger. :)

7. I also only collect mature MSD's. The kids are cute and I enjoy looking at them, but I doubt I will ever own one.

8. Since I like SD size the best, I'm only really interested in MSD sized as kids. My SD size dolls are teens, so it would be weird for me to have a mature mini. It's not normal for a teen, or adult to come up to another teen's waist. If I had only MSDs, then I would want more mature minis, since they wouldn't be so out of scale.

9. all my characters are ages 14 and up so slightly childish looking would be ok, as in my B&G Sharon (Max:aheartbea) but as it is, none of the younger looking ones appeal to me, although Kid Delf Ani is really growing on me.....even though i cannot even begin to think how she'd fit in with my (for lack of a better term)"story line" *tacks a "no loitering" sign to the back of my brain and tries to shoo her away*

10. On my side, I really do like the look of the childish minis. My first love (that I was serious on buying) was a BF TF Emilie, then it became a Volks MSD F-18 :) Mature minis like Unoas are nice and all sometimes, but they're not for me. Then again, I guess it's because I'm kinda partial to child-bodied dolls (like the SD10 and childish tinies). Easier to sew for and I find them cuter XD

11. I prefer mature looking minis, because I'm not really interested in childcharacters :)

12. awesome. I asked this question, because i've recently began sculpting my own doll. I'm not personally wanting to sculpt an SD sized doll, but i want them to look VERY adult. My girl is going to be mature, rather well endowed upstairs, and with a very large rump. I want her to be about 40cm tallish, and very thick, yet leggy. So i've been wondering how this is going to take. Looks like alot of people really like the more mature Mini's, for both size convenience, and look :) I'm now VERY excited to get her finished. I've finished her head, and torso. and she's very very very much what i envisioned.

13. Im into child dolls, so volks MSD is perfect as they are for me :D I do think that the 20cm different in heights on MSD and SD is a little much for just "a small adult MSD", um if you understood that..

14. Hm... Personally, I love mature minis. I wish they'd make MORE sculpts mature so that I could find an appropriate boyfriend for my MNF girl! XD However, I also have some child characters I'd like to get in mini form (BF Olive), so I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to make that age gap work for the same sized dolls. ^^;; Still, I think they're suitable to whatever characters you need them to be. ^_^ The tiny tinies are always kids for me, or at least veeeery tiny older fantasy creatures, but there are mature tinies as well. ^^; I guess my answer is: depends on the character, but I prefer mature minis, or at least the OPTION of making them mature.

15. (sorry - a bit OT)
      comicbookartistboi -

It depends. 40cm is a bit short for a mature girl (they average around 43cm). And they are mostly pretty leggy.

Most mature BJD clothing is in approximately Unoa/Narae/MNF size which is about:
      head - 6.5 inch (Unoa, Narae, and a number of others) to 7.25 inch (MNF and a number of others) (some larger)
      bust - 17-18cm (some other matures have 19cm bust)
      waist - 12.5-13.2cm (some other matures have up to 14cm waist)
      hips - 19-19.5cm (some other mature minis have 17-20cm)
      foot - 5.5cm slim (2.3cm-ish wide?) (some other matures wider and/or larger)

Those approximate sizes are very popular.

If you go slimmer towards fashion proportions like Tonner Tyler - many of those BJD's are not allowed on DoA and are marketed more to traditional vinyl collectors. A few are allowed but I would say they are less popular than the Unoa/Narae/MNF size.

You said thicker - if you make an overweight mature female mini... I know some people have been complaining that there aren't any overweight mini/large BJD's. Whether they would buy one - I don't know.

Also - a note - the Artist BJD section of DoA is moderated. A BJD in progress has to meet certain criteria to even be posted there. Then, for a finished BJD to be discussed and/or sold on DoA, the doll needs to pass the Doll Criteria listed in the DoA rules which includes a moderator decision on the whether the doll is consistent with the style of Asian BJD's.

Carolyn

16. I see mine as not being children--and they aren't the slender mini sculpts either. For the most part, I see a lot of msd sized dolls as existing in kind of a grey area--it's easy to make them look older or younger depending on wigs, faceups, clothing etc. There are a few out there that do look to be more on the child spectrum and then there are the slender minis that are meant to be older, but a lot fall in the middle. But that's just my opinion. My three msds are all older teens and dress and behave accordingly.

17. I like both, i like little dolls. but if the character is older i want a mature doll, if its younger i want the younger looking doll.

18. I have to say, on the 40cm height thing, having such a short mature mini would be interesting. It would be good for pairings where the girl is supposed to be much shorter than the boy, like a 5' girl with a 5'10" boy. ^_^ I'd be interested in how you'd work out the proportions to make the height work out with what you want her to look like. Good luck!

19. Aha, I got mine as a mini because I wanted him to be short. <<; XD;; I'm horrible.
      But I think mine's pretty mature looking. If I had enough moneys/skills to remodle the face, I would, but alas. XD Makeup will have to fake it for now. Plus he's got no muscles... XD But I gave him some shading for ABS! W00T.

Personally I don't like the appearence of a little kid doll. oO; Totally not for me. xD

Also... MSD is miniature Super Dollfie, I'm guessing? So... DZ would be the type, like DollZone, right? And AOD is a different kind, and so on and so forth? xX Random, I know, but I'm a total n00b.

20. Haha. suddenly i feel like we should redub MSD to also mean MiniSizedDolls, but that'd bring about TSD and LSD (lol drugswut?)

Anyhow, sorry for using the term too freely. The acronym is too widely commercialized, like the american Kleenex.

Back to the question : when I think MSD, I can't help but think young teenage dolls (14-16 years old) as that's what people tend to use them as. For me though, I rather my people be a little more matured than that. As it is, mine's ranged from the age of 18-24 and they're not Unoa, Narae or Minifees. They really don't have to be, yo D:

For the records, they are :
      Modded AS Vera (18), AR Jade (19), DoC Bee-A Male (22), DZ Xi (24)

I believe that for many of the minis, you just need to dress them (and makeup them) right. And also, know what angles to take from. I mean, there are models who would only let their pics be taken from certain angles cos they look shitty from some others. That's also the concept here. Know what to hide, and what to show.