1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

MSD dolls in name only?

Feb 6, 2008

1. More mature MSDs appeal to me simply because having a childlike doll squicks me a little- if it's a little boy I can't just let it lounge around shirtless or something without it feeling somehow creepy and wrong. I'm probably totally alone in that but they're just not my thing. I love the size though especially compared to the bigger, heavier SDs and most of my characters fit into a mature body better, I suppose, especially the girls.

2. I'm waiting on a Homme Kirill to be shipped to me and, while I do like more mature looking dolls, I chose a DOC because I don't think I'm quite ready for a 60cm+ sized doll... not to mention it's just easier carrying around a smaller doll.

However, the name and character of my H.Kirill is meant to be based on a 26 year old guy, so I guess I'll just have to dress him more maturely and give him 14mm eyes since the larger the eyes, the more child-like a doll appears (at least to me anyway!).

I will eventually get a larger doll. In my mind, 45cm dolls are like young adults while larger dolls are older adults. I honestly don't see MSDs as children unless their body and head/face sculpt is child-like in appearance, or the doll's owner dresses them up in children's clothing XD

Now, anything smaller than 30cm, those are chibis in my mind. Definitely children ;)

3. The tiny sizes (Yo-sd or whatever they're called?) definitely bring to mind the cutesy little child dolls. MSD doesn't necessarily mean young and innocent to me, however if it's a very manly msd doll he would look disproportionate to other cute teen dolls that are the same height. Therefore, I kind of prefer msds to look younger, and SDs are expected to be more mature-looking

4. I definitely like the more mature-looking MSDs, which is why I went with Souldoll's Soulkid Xell. He looks young, but not childlike! At least, not to me anyway. The problem I'm running in to is now that I'm on the hunt for an older, MSD-sized brother for him, a lot of the molds and sculpts I am finding look like kids, with baby-like features (like chubby cheeks, huge eyes, etc). I don't have anything against child-like MSDs at all, but it's just not what I prefer.

5. kids or pre-teens xD I don't know,when compared to a SD, I can't see them as an adult but there are a few good MSDs that look very adult for their small size and make me wonder. But for me,I look at them as kids :)

6. hai, sometimes you want who in the youngers years, but look like he been through alot, wise beyond his years, I have my eye on a souldoll also, He's next on my list.

7. I think some of the more mature minis are some of the most beautiful, but the cute chubbiness is fine too. I'm glad there's such variety. :)

8. I see SDs as being the "adults" and seeing MSDs next to them, well, sometimes the height difference is TOO different for me to see them as adults too. I see MSDs more as children but I absolutely love Limho Mono who seems very much mature :O I just doubt he'd fit with my other boys. I think for me, I just like certain sculpts regardless of size. Even though I prefer to see them as children I'm glad there are mature looking MSDs for people who like that size better :3.

9. I like the more grown up looking MSDs too, and like MareOfNight have no SDs. I guess I just like the smaller size doll.

10. I like the mature look for MSD, although not too too mature, they still have to have a certain cuteness to them. I've been eyeing Lati Blue Cara.

11. I like both, or somewhere in between. For example, my Megi, he looks more like a teenager rather than a little kid or an adult. But if I saw a really cute childish mini that I liked, I'd definitely get it. Cuteness and huggability are the number one factors for me. XD

12. It depends, I suppose. I love mature minis, like Unoas and Naraes, but I just absolutely love those adorable little "child-like" Volks Minis. There are a few Mini Super Dollfies (Volks Mika! and Maggie and Myu) that are too cute, and would never be meant as "mature." I suppose I just love them however they're meant to be represented.

13. I prefer the more mature looking ones as the characters they are protraying are in their 20s or very-late teens. So I don't exactly like child looking MSDs, minus the Volks Nasia and Myu. That headmold has been the ONLY exception. So it only MSD in name for me.

14. I'd thought I'd add my thoughts here. I love SD for their maturity. However, the decision to get a mini this time, was a practical one. He will represent my spirit guide, whom I work with in real terms. He was 25ish when he "died". So, I need his doll to look mature but be small enough to carry about casually.

I want to be reminded that my guide is with me always. Lol by literally taking him everywhere with me. Hopefully, it will help me focus on my spiritually growth more effectively. Plus, I'm disabled and think it will be easier to manage him.

Personally, I don't like "kid" dolls much, nor frilly clothes. Boy dolls = sexy grown up boys.

15. I basically prefer MSDs because an SD is almost literally half of my height and I'm a bit intimidated >.<

But as everyone mentioned above the sculpts of MSD tend to be more childlike in appearance but the degree varies with every sculpt and how the individual owners choose to dress and portray them.

16. I prefer more mature looking MSD sculpts. Because I think of most of my characters as being either young adults, or in their lates teens. I just find the size of minis to be more practical for me. (:

17. The size was an issue for me as well when choosing my first doll. I just felt that MSD was a comfortable height for me to start with and closest to the scale I was used to with other dolls.

As far as age goes...I guess I don't really look at the dolls and think of specific numbers. If pressed, I suppose I view the doll I have coming (and others that've caught my eye ;) ) in the mid to late teens....? I'm comfortable keeping it kinda vague in order to have as wide a range of redressing/character options as possible.

18. Yeah, Mini Super Dollfies are mini-sized... but there are many companies that label things "Kid" thing or that, which always seems weird to me. Even my Kid Dollmore Girl isn't supposed to be exactly a "kid;" I picture her as a consumptive Victorian child. Heh.

It varies so wildly due to all the sculpts... quite honestly, I like 43cm scale more than 60cm scale. (I got rid of my 60cms, because they were just too large for me!) But it's not my style to have "adult" 43cms and 60cms interact... when looking at others' 60cm dolls, I prefer the 43cms to be children...

... well, unless they're mature 43cm undead fairy vampire princesses or something. XD

19. Definitely I prefere more mature looking MSD - but it's difficult for me to find such boy among them: they are too often childish...

20. It really seems like most people prefer mature MSDs to childlike ones actually.

I have a mature MSD - a Resinsoul Ju - but she's mature because she's a fairy. My other MSD will be a child - a Kid Delf Aru. But I choose him because all the other company's MSDs that I liked, like the Iplehouse KIDs, Fairyland Minifees and Angelheim MSDs, all look too mature to me!

I have a hard time seeing why people are complaining about there not being enough mature mini's around...