1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple dolls for one character?

Dec 13, 2009

1. I am considering this, actually. Originally I thought it would just be a waste of money, but then I remembered how much I love drawing Zin as a midgie little chibi, I realized how much fun it would be to have him as a Puki with really wild hair like a little Troll doll (Zin as a character has been called a troll many times, so it only makes sense!) :V

I realize I probably just offended seven million people by saying that but I don't care, IT'S CUTE. The real trouble comes with offending seven million MORE people when/if I DO get a Zin Puki and... he starts dressing like Rob Halford...

2. I've got 2 versions of Haniel. One is his regular form (that of an approximate 6 year old) and one of the other form he can assume (that of a teenager). I hadn't planned on doing that though. It just worked out that way due to trolling through the MP and seeing awesome deals on the sculpts that were perfect for him.

I also have twin characters. I'm going to get the YO-SD sized ones but I've also seen the perfect sculpts for them as young adults. I'm resisting that like mad though.

3. I had considered that for Lily
      (child Lily, Teen Lily, Lily Demonic)
      but I don't think the last one would work

4. I could have sworn I saw a discussion about this before, but I couldn't find it again.
      EDIT: Thank you to whoever relocated me! I knew a thread like this was out there! XD

This answers my question about different dolls for different ages, but does anyone have multiple dolls of the "same age" for one character? (Two or more adult versions, etc.)

Right now I have a Littlefee and a Delf that I'm currently working on that are both the "same person" at different ages. However, I have put serious thought into getting another SD sized doll to be a version 2.0 of my El. XD; I like the idea of re-shelling him to look taller, more manly, and maybe less stylized... but I don't think I'd have the heart to sell the original if I could help it. :aheartbea

5. Do any of you have more than one doll/sculpt to represent one character?
      nope, but i do see a few people having a few dolls for the same character. mostly it's different sized dolls (e.g. SD and tiny for the same character). i might, though, if i actually have the money, haha.

Would any of you consider doing something like this? For those that already have, are the different dolls meant to represent the character at different ages? Did you have any particular reason for shelling the character into multiple dolls?
      as i said, i might consider, if i actually have the money. the thing is, it can represent the doll with different expressions. even if it's the same sculpt (well, i kind of grouped dreaming eyes or sleeping heads etc under the same sculpt here to simplify expression), i think it'll be fun to do different faceup for different expressions or for a different look as they mature. alternatively, the same doll on different bodies or a similar one on another body, like what i think you're considering for your EL is also quite interesting.

on another note, yes, i think there's a similar thread somewhere about this. and i think part of the reason why some people have a few dolls for the same character is cos they can't bear to part with the er, older one. yeah.

6. I don't think it's a bad idea ^^ Though I haven't done that, I've been caressing the idea of having two dolls for one character... Heck, even three dolls. Two "grown up" ones (one grumpy, one happy), and the teenager version. BUT ALAS, I'm not that rich.

I'd also love to have children version for some of my adult dolls. Cute MSDs that would represent the younger version of their 70cm counterparts. That'd be so friggin' cute.

7. I do have multiple dolls for two of my characters.

I have a male and a female version for my Hijiri (which so happens to be a unisex name! :lol:) who's based on Hijiri from the manga/anime Yami no Matsuei who I RP.

I have a younger version of my Labrador (who I also RP and who's based on the character of the same name in 07-Ghost). I just had to have his younger version after his backstory was revealed in the manga! His younger version is a lot shyer and has a different name, Ilyusha. In 07-Ghost, Lab is the current vessel for one of the seven 'Ghosts' and after it was revealed that his predecessor was a woman, I just had to have a doll version of her too! And since I do also RP a genderblended version of Lab, I just might have to get a female version of him as well... I just love him so much! o(>_<)o

8. Yep. My MSD and SD boys may have different names, but they are the same character. When I started out, I feel in love with a doll that was the perfect 11-year-old incarnation of my Gawain. I didn't expect to find a perfect adult incarnation as well, but I did... So now I have a child and adult version of the same character - not exactly what I planned, but why not? :D

9. Well, I've got a couple of characters that are represented by more than one doll each, AND I also have a couple of dolls that represent more than one character each. It works both ways ^^

10. I have MSD and SD versions of Amir. (AoD Chen and Gu) Chen was my first doll and I still love the character, just decided to upgrade, but can't part with the Chen.

Zack has three forms...baby, toddler and preteen. The preteen was Loki's head before his upgrade (DZ Mo ---> DZ Mo-B) I can't part with Loki's head either, but becoming Zack works, since Zack is his son who looks like him.

11. I will be buying a 'future' version of my character Neykon. Neykon is over 700 years old so he's had lots of personas over the years, so I guess it would make sense.
      Also, when I first bought Neykon (a Souldoll Vito Sharics) I was very new to the BJD World (he was my first doll) and I only knew of three or four companies. With my limited knowledge (I didn't have access to DOA), I didn't do as much searching for the perfect doll as I would have had I known better. I will never sell my Sharics for sentimental reasons, but in a way I regret not buying the perfect doll in the perfect size for me. So I'll have a couple of Neykons floating around eventually :D

12. I think I have the inverse of this idea, where my doll can be different characters... Though I guess that all dolls can actually do that. Hmm.

13. I consider getting some characters both as SDs and YoSDs. I just love the idea of children versions of my characters. :D

14. I dont have two DOLLS, but I have three heads. Evil version, good version, and a sleeping head for the dead version. [dont ask.]

I've considered getting a separate body though, only to make things easier. But I don't think there would be anything wrong with it ^.^

15. I have lots of dolls that are duplicates of the same character (I posted early in the thread several years ago).

I have a puki Snape, a 60cm Snape, a 70cm Snape, and a Alan Rickman head that is just a 'bust'. They are almost all identical for their characters. I see the 70cm as a few years older then the 60cm version. But a lot of the duplication is that it's nice to have a 70cm Snape to go with a bunch of 60cm students.

I also have '6' voldemorts. 1 chibi Voldie, 1 MSD that is child Tom Riddle. 1 that is older 7th year school version of Tom, then another that is out of school Evil Dark lord (pre nose loss), then the reborn Voldemort with no nose, and lastly a work in project of a Voldemort/Quirrel. All the SD sized Tom Riddles/voldemorts use the same mold even (different skin tones, but same mold). I think I'm at my limit for the character/mold. But I've thought about having other versions because I like the one mold so much. It just happens.

16. I have two this way. Littlefee El and Shiwoo as the kid versions of the Delf El and Shiwoo. They're five, while the adult version is in their 20s.

17. I think that's lots of fun ... especially if you're into photostories :D
      If i were rich (lol..) I'd have a couple evil/good but same person, one very angelic and dreamy faceup and the other one somber and gloomy... haha... maybe one day...

18. I haven't done this yet but I imagine I will! I have second dolls for two of my characters on my wishlist...not particularly an older or younger version of them, just them in different forms I suppose. I will probably also eventually have older and younger versions of a few characters though.

19. I have none that are the same character at the same age, unless I'm counting the sleeping heads (and I don't). But I've done it several times with different ages. The young and older versions have different names so it's easier for me to distinguish which one I'm talking about, but they're usually nicknames of their actual names.

I have a Dolkot Kiss playing the older version of my Kid Delf Ttori. I have my IP Gentle Cocori playing the older version of my Dollmore Momo and I have a DOB Libra playing my DOC Si as younger child. I also have used my Kid Delf and DOC in photostories, playing my Elfdoll Red and Unidoll, but they aren't permanently those characters. I've also got a young and old version of my Elfdoll K, but only as an option head. And three more blank heads in waiting that will be younger or older versions of my other Elfdolls. Their faceups aren't priority, but I'm hoping to get my Lydia redone and have the young head done at the same time at some time this year.

One of these days, I think it would be fun to "downsize" all my crew, keeping both versions. I've already found mini sized dolls to fit about three of my SD-range dolls, and a tiny for one of the minis. But this would be something that would only happen if I won the lottery. I just think it's fun to look for the sculpts when I'm bored.

By the way, this conversation might seem familiar because there's a thread in the Picture Requests section here: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...Grown-Up-Upgrading-to-an-quot-older-doll-quot

20. I was thinking of making 2 girls from the anime Rosario and Vampire - one with pink hair and the other one with white, she also looks more mature and with larger bust. Or, it could be one character, but in different ages of his life.