1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Muscular female dolls- who wants one?

Jul 27, 2015

1. @iamkathybrown
      I definitely agree. Much more my preference to do a MtF mod than mod muscles on a female body. Mainly it's because symmetry is much easier for me this way--I am no trained sculptor.

It helps that there are a subset of male bodies with a more female silhouette in terms of narrow waist and wider hips--although the widest part of the hip may not start in the right location (thinking of the Doll Legend and Doll Family H bodies in particular).

It also helps that male/female sexual dimorphism isn't really a clear binary--more like bell curves. Both male and female BJD bodies can fall prey to the stereotype of what a male or female body "should" look like (the idealized silhouette). You almost end up having to do MtF and FtM mods in order to achieve a more natural variation in body shape--certainly not all women have an hourglass silhouette as looking at a random selection of "representative" female BJD bodies might suggest.

Certainly the majority of the female and male members of my family are not represented by the majority of BJD bodies.

2. I've seen both- MtF and FtM mods- be very successful. Most modders do seem to choose a male base but that is more because of the inherent extra bulk a male doll tends to have and the wider shoulders. Muscular girls seem to just have /more/ and many find it easier to start with that instead of add it all on by hand, so just depends on your preference and where you want to take your vision.

If you wish to add a lot of muscle, it may be prudent to put apoxie over foam shapes or wadded paper to cut down on apoxie used and therefore, added weight. Sicktress suggested this method to me and has used it herself.

I do eventually want to make a 3rd gen Idol body (male) into a female because I want that bulk and those straighter lines. The 3rd gen body has some back to it and is curvier than the other 2 gens. Mostly, he'd just needs breasts and boy-junk removal. Finding a head to use would be harder. So if none of the current muscle offerings work for you, certainly try your own whichever way most inspires you.

A few posts back a writer mentioned the weight and lack of posing a muscular body has, male or female. This is often true. There's a reason a minifee poses the best- the right weight, the right height, the right engineering. Sadly, it doesn't scale well- though the new 3D modeling seems to have more promise to it. Granado made a 74cm boy who, though lean, seems to be able to pose like an effing champ. Their Titan isn't too bad, but limited arm movement because of the unyielding expanse of his resin chest; however, this is true of the really big men in real life too- there's only so much the body can do in larger proportions, be it fat or muscle. You'd need a lot more joints and more innovation in engineering to get the REALLY big dolls to pose as well as the smaller ones. Part of it could be offset by making the string channels bigger which would reduce weight/thickness of the doll and allow for thicker strings, which super duper helps as that is the skeleton of a strung BJD.

Added swivel joints also help a ton in the thighs and upper arms, or peanut joints designed to swivel. It can happen, we just need to prod the companies and let them know we want to spend our money on it.

3. In my case, the girl I have in mind does not have big breasts and doesn't wear too revealing clothing so it seems easier for me to find a male body with some muscles but wider hips.
      I have almost decided on Charmdoll 45cm boy body, which has some muscles in the arms and legs (what I was going for) but not too detailed abdominals so I can detail them to my liking with blushing if I want to).
      I would take off the boy-junk as @chalyss said it xD and then consider if I want to add breasts or they are fine that way.
      I have been doing quite a research on bodies of female athletes and, depending on the sport, you can see completely different body shapes (hourglass, square, etc.) so if it's not "standard female-looking" is not an issue for me.

4. Precisely! Variety is beautiful and everyone is an individual! It should be celebrated!

5. Has anyone had any recent update about Boypink's Jasper? They haven't updated tumblr or flickr since last summer at least :...( The Jasper body would be my absolute ideal and if I knew an approximate date for its release I'd hang on for that, but otherwise I'm considering modding a boy body for my girl. I'd love to be more enthused about the Impl one but the hip/waist ratio is just too much for what I have in mind and none of the breast options look natural to me so I'd end up modding them anyway :/ Current high contender is the Popodoll 68cm body!

6. The advantage with M to F mods is that a lot of the dolls sold as male do have more curvy hips, so with a little adjusting you can get a more feminine type shape for all kinds of gender presentations including cis female. As with any full body type of mod, you just need to know your anatomy and know what shapes you want to emphasize. I wanted my muscle girl Moira to retain those broader shoulders, but to have a trim more feminine waist, with a really low body fat percentage because she has a hard lifestyle and a limited, high protein diet that would shape her like that. For the same reasons, I gave her pretty small breasts like a high intensity athlete who doesn't retain much body fat, whereas if she (the character) ever gets to a more sedentary lifestyle and gains some more softness and curves, she might end up as a 38 C cup.
      [​IMG]
      I really encourage people modding muscular ladies to study all kinds of atheletes' bodies, especially the atheletes who do similar things to what your character does. Moira's a swordswoman and does a lot of horseback riding to get around every day, so her core and shoulders are especially built and defined, but not with the bulk of a weightlifter or wrestler.

7. Ah! And there she is, such a beauty! Thank you, @Rosslyn, your insight and advice is always appreciated! Knowing what you want as an end result sounds overly simple, but it can be a complicated process to get there. "I want a doll with a tattoo", is a great goal, but now you have to research the tattoos, placement, perhaps cultural significance... well, not for all of them, certainly, but there can be more involved in achieving the end result than just "I want." For some of my girls, I don't much care- I want a muscular lady. For others, I want the width, the size, a special look. Then it gets more complicated.

Thanks for the reminder and example, Rosslyn!

@Chibi Kitsune, almost forgot! No, no updates recently. I checked a month or two ago and saw nothing new. I would LOVE that Jasper body! However, try messaging the artist on Flickr, either a mail through them or commenting on the body in a pic. See if that gets a response.

8. She's just stunning. I sort of didn't realize I wanted a muscular female... but seems like I need one. :'D I dream of a having a squad of a lot of body variety. This would be a great future project after I finish the ones at hand. Inspiring work!

9. Thanks! Yeah research can be casual, or it can be into a lot of depth and detail- I'm a detail person myself, because I enjoy that kind of thing, I'll admit!

Woops, I'm an ennabler. ;) Thank you very much!

10. I've been checking near daily myself, even before deciding I was going to buy it for sure. My problem is that I don't want a muscular body. I want THAT muscular body. I don't even have the money saved up, so I'll get on that in the meantime. I messaged them recently, but no dice.

11. 1. I would love to be able to have one. I really like muscular ladies, and I feel it would be very good for representation. This hobby is all about customisation and body types should definitely be a part of that.

12. I'd go with #3 , maybe not now as I don't have plans for a muscular female doll, but maybe in the future.
      We need more diversity in the BJD community, especially in doll bodies.

13. I'm not a fan of the look of muscular bodies at all personally, not matter the gender (I like soft-looking chubby bodies best, but I settle for very skinny bodies when it comes to bjds lol) so I wouldn't personally buy one. But hell yes, I would absolutely love to see more choices when it comes to body types in general!

14. Its project of mine. Working on sculpting a SD girl with more than just defined abs. Wanting to focus on the legs more especially since it seems they're overlooked in a lot of athletic(?) dolls. But it's on the back burner because of my current SD boy project, which also happens to do with a body type not commonly seen in dolls. Both are also my first time making a large doll with double joints, so that's taking some extra time + my weird perfectionism with making sure the insides of the hollow pieces are neat and smooth since I might want to sell these someday.

15. Well keep us posted!! I am very interested in seeing both! How cool!

16. 4#, I personally would like my female dolls to look more feminine. Maybe I'll get one one day in the future.

17. The vast majority of mine are, only 2 or 3 muscular for lifestyle reasons. But they're a nice variety if one has the need for it!

18. 1-3 depending on the body, honestly. Moira there is amaaaazing.
      Honestly, I'd like more visible strength in male and female dolls. The super skinny thing gets a bit strange-looking when it's taken to the extreme.

19. Thank you!