1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming dolls and keeping sculpt names

Feb 10, 2019

1. I've named all mine, but the sculpt name still gets some use as a nickname. Like if I'm struggling to get one of them to look good in a photo shoot the sculpt name will come out as a way of disowning them in frustration. :XD:

2. i usually dont much care for sculpt names actually, so i like being able to name them myself. but that being said, i am very bad at naming things lol... it either comes in an instant or not at all. ive had a pukifee lingering around for years that i just never named orz

3. If I like the sculpt name and it matches the character I have in mind for them I will keep it. With my first doll I kept her sculpt name just because I couldn't think of a better name that suits her and I really liked it. I named my second doll myself. I have a floating head that still doesn't have a name yet.

4. I give my dolls characters that have their own names. Or I see a doll and come up with a name on the spot then the character follows later. A sculpt name is just like a description for me. Though, I had to change my character name for my incoming SDF65 Gray. The character's original name was Gray also, but I thought it would be too confusing and I ended up not liking the name much for that character anyway. It's just my personal preference though.

5. I don't feel it's really it's mine or has it's own style unless it has a new name to go with it. Sculpt names feel pretty restricting unless I buy one specifically based off a pre-existing character.

6. Using sculpt name is ok, though I use my own name usually. I sometimes twist sclupt name a little bit for doll naming.

7. I model my dolls after my OCs so I already have names in mind when choosing a doll, so the sculpt name really doesn't matter. If I ever get a doll that I did not get for a specific character I might consider the sculpt name if I like it enough.

8. I have characters for all my dolls, they all have their new name. But when I talk about them to my friends, I still call their sculpt names.

9. Most of mine have names, but poor Kazuya i couldn't find a proper name for him so he remains Kazuya. There is also Coco, the name i gave her was Sabrina, but later i changed her wig and she was Coco to me XD. Rigth now i'm waiting for a bambi head and i am wondering if i will find a similar sweet name for her.

10. I don't have a doll yet, but I do have one preordered. I have wondered this myself on how I will go about this. I think it might depend on if the sculpt name and if it suits them. But I can see me giving them a name to give me a better bond. I preordered Miyou and he's a cute fox boy. I have possibly 9 months until I get him in and am currently thinking of names to call him.

11. Pretty much all of mine are either preexisting OCs that already have names picked out for them before I even put in the order, or existing characters with similar circumstances (already had a name before the sculpt was picked out), so there's pretty much zero chance I'm going to stick with having them remain with the sculpt name permanently.

The closest I ever had to having an OC have a very similar name to their sculpt was when Tahmos was temporarily shelled as Simply Divine Thomas (swap a few letters around on the one, and you'd get the other, plus their pronunciations are pretty similar). That wasn't really intentional, however. Plus, eventually I reshelled Tahmos with a few sculpts with very different names from his own.

12. Most of mine have original names but I have a handful that kept their sculpt name or extremely close or slightly modified version of their sculpt name.

13. I don't tend to keep sculpt names. Usually the dolls "speak" a sort of name to me, either because they look like one my of my characters that I want to shell or they inspire a character that I want to create. I do sometimes refer to my dolls by their sculpt names, like when I'm talking about them online or when it just makes more sense to refer to the sculpt name. My partner is usually a huge fan of keeping sculpt names unless he has something specific in mind. It's just the way that we enjoy the hobby!

14. My first 2 are coming and I've already named them. Although reading these replies, I'm interested to see if I will actually change my mind based on the personalities the dolls have when they get here.

15. I prefer to name my own dolls even if it might take me weeks/months until I figure out a fitting one for them. So until I get them a name I'll call them either by their sculpt name or simply Pretty Head 1/2/3~

16. I'll pick my own names thank you!

17. There was only doll I kept the sculpt name for and that was my gankustuou doll from IOS. Since he was made to be a specific character from that show, I kept the name. My Ringdoll 2011 Frankenstein got a new name, but when I'm talking to my family about him, I call him Frankenstein just because that's how they heard me refer to him for years until I was able to hunt him down second hand. If I call him by the name I gave him, they have no idea what's going on.

18. I try to name all of mine something differen than the sculpt name, but it is difficult to adhere to because I frequently talk about my dolls to a few friends and I don't expect them to remember the names I gave the dolls so I always refer to them by the sculpt name. I am struggling right now to rename my Atelier Momoni Reira and my Minifee Sylvia.
      Even if I mostly use the sculpt names when discussing them, I do like to give them their own names.

19. Most of the time, I keep the sculpt name. I'll change it if a new doll comes in with a name of a previous doll, Like Dollzone Carter and Dollzone Yo-Carter, I renamed the Yo one. Or, I might 'Americanize' a name like Fuyumi was changed to Faith. The exception has been my 70cm+ dolls, They all got new names.

20. Naming my dolls is a huge part of bonding with them. A name gives them their own unique identity. I have a story for them that I need to write down one day and their names are important in the story. One of my dolls is named after my dog :3nodding: and I need to figure out how she fits in the story.