1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

natural face ups or fancy face ups?

Jan 2, 2013

1. Either is fine with me, but I do quite like natural!

2. I personally am more of a fan of 'fancier' face ups since they heighten the 'fantasy' feel of a doll to me, but in kind of... subdued colours? Like, pastel, or just limited amounts of the more saturated colours. But I like both natural and fancy face-ups. :D

3. I agree that natural faceup are defiantly more versatile and you can "fancy" a doll up with their wig and accessories. However, I do love a well done, full on glam faceup, if the character is right for it :)

4. I really like the natural faceups, brown or blonde tones. I think that adds versatility for eyes and wig colors, and in some cases even clothes.

There are some dolls I've seen with colored eye shadow and I've always felt leery of getting one, simply because I don't like the possibility of colors clashing. But maybe someday I'll get bold enough...

5. I tend to prefer the natural look for my dolls also but I do appreciate a fancy face up and hope to find one to add to my collection one day

6. I like the natural look because I think it is more flexible. Not necessarily totally plain though.

7. I like natural faceup better! I love pink lips and pink blusher.

8. I like all kinds of faceups. Natural, historical makeup, very stylized makeups like shiro-nuri and sugar skulls, cracked doll looks, fantasy colors airbrushed in gradients, matte, sparkly...I guess I crave variety. A big reason why faceplate dolls suit me so well!

9. I prefer a more "natural" look. I appreciate that it takes a lot of skill to do a nice fantasy/horror faceup, but I don't really like the way they look.

10. On male dolls, natural face ups. On girl dolls, either. Like other posts, it would depend upon the character. Now if the male doll were like G-Dragon, he could wear any fancy face up he’d want.

11. i love the fancy out there ones......but not for my own dolls. I love looking and drooling over everyones fancy faceuped dollys, but when it comes to my own i want a very light faceup i have noticed.

12. I have a mix of both. I prefer a little of the fantasy in my natural dolls. Things like glitter eyeliner and sparkles make the doll more special. I have one doll with a purely fantastical face and it's very beautiful but I don't have plans to get another until later.

13. For me it depends on the character, and the type of world they are from. My first girl is from a world with magic but its still a pretty normal, if medieval world. so she has a pretty natural faceup. I do want some other much more fantasy dolls, and they will have much less realistic faceups with lots of unnatural colors. Hope that makes sense.

14. I think it really depends on the character and type of look and feel that you're going for, but I prefer more natural faceups. It makes them seem a little more real.

15. I personally prefer faceups to be more on the natural side, but if fancy, I really like them in nude colours like brown eyeshadows and peachy lips :)

16. I prefer face with make up of course ;-)

17. i usually go with natural faceups. but i feel i'm brave enough to go with something other than natural now, and i just happen to have a blank head and a design idea to test the waters with.

18. I prefer fancy, and very vibrant colors on my dolls:love. I've also just started to do my own face ups too. All of my dolls have fantasy features, and are not quite natural looking. Although, if I did have a more natural looking doll, I'd probably still go with a fancy face up :kitty2

19. It all depends on the characteristics. Right now I'll go with natural because I haven't any fancy characters yet. =P

20. I like to make my dolls look like cartoon characters! So not extremely complicated, but also not realistic. No crazy colors or makeup or markings usually, but heavily lined eyes and expressive eyebrows.