1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Never ever sold a doll?

May 22, 2010

1. I haven't been into the hobby that long but so far I've never sold a doll... I'm not sure why I haven't other than it seems counterintuitive when it was rather difficult to acquire some of them in the first place. There's only one I've considered selling and that's because I think I may want him in a different skintone!

2. I have also never sold a doll.

I had only one doll for a little over a year before I purchased a second doll. During that time she formed quite a personality in my head, so I would feel it a betrayal to ever sell her. My second doll is a LE that I would not want to ever have to try to replace, and honestly, I'm still a bit amazed I was able to get her at all. I fell rather unexpectedly, and rather hard for her, so my husband relented and let me purchase her despite her wince-worthy price. My third doll was the one MNM head sculpt that I promised myself if I ever saw him available in a GO I would buy...no matter what. And my fourth doll is also LE...and has not arrived yet...but I literally dreamt about him for a week straight when his order period started...so no...none of my dolls are going anywhere. ^_^"

I tend to form strong attachments with inanimate objects. I always have. I'm also a bit of a pack rat and have a hard time letting go of things. Considering how much time I spend on my dolls, either in sewing for them, photographing them, painting them, posing them around the house, or even just thinking about them...I can't really ever imagine myself wanting to sell them. It would feel horrible to me. I'm even reluctant to sell the spare MNM head that was cast as part of a mixup (and so matches no bodies I have available). The sculpt itself is beautiful...so I can't help but think that maybe I could do something with it in the future. It is the same with the spare parts from my second doll. She will never use them, but maybe they could be put to use as something else later. I find I fall into the details of these dolls, so when I pull out something and look at it, it makes me appreciate the sculpt, or the painting, or what have you, and that attachment thing happens. Heh.

3. Before I joined DoA I had no idea how often people sold BJDs. XD;; It just seemed like buying them is such a large choice, since they're so expensive and not even available in the country.. (didn't know about the Volks store) so I thought, well, you buy one of these things and YOU KEEP IT. And that's how I still feel. I'm very careful about choosing, and I don't buy things like this often or in excessive amounts. I'm also confident in my artistic abilities, so I feel like if there's something keeping me from liking a doll I've chosen, I WILL be able to identify what it is and fix it to my satisfaction. :3

4. Who here has never sold a doll?

Me! ^^;;

What are your reasons?

Well, I'm rarely, if ever, an impulse buyer. I always do my research, and when I know I want something...I'm prolly gonna get it, anywho. And my dollies are all planned OCs. ^^

Would you ever consider it?

Prolly not. The reason I won't sell Elis is because she has such a strong personality, its hard to let go of her. I have an overly strong attachment to inanimate objects.

5. I have never sold a doll before, and hopefully I won't have to. But, I did heavily consider selling my Suiseiseki in order to afford my classes this summer, but between some major help from my boyfriend and using all of my savings (aka really having no money at all this summer, haha), I chose tough it out and keep the doll. :)

Financial reasons are the only ones I'd have for selling one.

6. I sold an SD13 body once . . . after it had been replaced with something different ^^;. The doll I intended to sell I couldn't manage to because he grew a character on me -_-;;; And some parts I didn't need. But never a head or a doll. I hate selling things to begin with, but I also do get very attached. If it came to necessity I'd sell a lot of other things first, and if it still came to necessity I'd probably sell off bodies and keep heads for the day when I could re-embody them ^^;;;.

7. Almost sold my Johnny Depp doll. I really didn't want to but I was in need of some cash. But in the end I just couldn't do it. I'm so glad I didn't :) He's got pride of place in the living room (my mum is a big doll fan) so he gets to be on show all the time :P

8. I've never sold a doll but technically this is because I've only been in the hobby for a couple of months. I also only own one doll at the moment. I had considered selling him at one stage but never did. My reasoning is simply that I get nervous when I have to post things to people because I'm a worry wart and I would worry endlessly about whether the person had received the item and whether the postal service would be careful with the item when transporting it and I would worry it would get damaged or lost etc etc etc. I really don't want to deal with all that stress.

9. I agree. I sell other things outside of the doll world, and I hate shipping, especially to other countries. I've had loads of things I have sold get lost but luckily they are only small things that are not worth much.

10. I have never sold a doll becauce I never brought one without obessing over it for a long time... and allthough the obsession may dull over time It's hard to pic them up without remembering EXACTLY why you brought the bugger in the first place.
      and that there is so much that can be done with ANY doll. so it might as well be the doll you have rather than parting with them and getting a new one.
      I dont know, but I'm quite attached to all my doll's and allthough some where spur of the moment buys... I tend not to part with my cash very easily ...that and I don't like letting other people have my stuff, even if they are buying it fair and square I'm still alittle NO WAY thats miiiiiine T.T
      I've considerd selling one of my rare heads but It took me ages to get the guy and I paid allot for him... yet I haven't DONE anything with him since I can't settle on a body so he sits in a box, I consider selling him...but I had to trawl through the market place like crazy to get him so I really don't want to part with him ^.^;;; I horde dollys

11. I've never sold a doll, mostly because I haven't felt like I really had to. All the dolls I've gotten I've liked for a while before I got them. There are times I think of replacing my first doll though, since a lot of dolls have been released since I got him that seem to fit his character better, but I don't think that I can bear to part with him even then, for sentimental reasons.

12. No way ~3~ will not sell the dollies...

I'd rather save up for other things...^^;;

once again - Over attachment to inatimate objects <3

13. For 3 years that was true of me. I never sold one. Barely sold any of their clothes. Just kept buying. Said I never would, as well.

But then I realized that with nearly 40 dolls (and 2 on the way, dangit Soom), some of them are just shelf candy and I have no real bond to them. It's not many...it's been 5 total so far, but the 2 I've sold have better homes now (definitely...one doll went from being in a crowd of 39 to the only, first, beloved. Can't argue with that!) and hopefully the other 3 will too.

It was hard, but the more I just thought of it in terms of the dolls getting a better home, the more okay I am with it.

14. Since I only own one doll that I just received a few days ago, I haven't sold one yet. I don't know if I ever will sell any doll...it just depends. I doubt it, because I've always hated parting with things.

15. I've never sold a doll- I have two, and I just got one a month or so ago. I want to sell my most recent doll so I can get another mini... but I'm having trouble bringing myself to do it, because one of my friends insists I'll regret it, and she's often right about these things.

16. my dolls are mine!!

17. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I haven't.I might once I've been in the hobby longer.

What are your reasons?
      I don't want to.

Depends on the doll.

18. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I haven't sold any dolls and I think the last doll I ordered makes 30.

What are your reasons?
      I have wanted all of them badly from the time I first saw their promo pics and felt strongly about them when I first saw them in person. Only a few have let me down when I opened the box. I have also had the irrational thought that I would be letting them down by selling them-or maybe I don't want to admit my bad judgement in gauging how well I would like them once they got home.

In the last few days I have decided to sell the dolls that I just don't love. Most of my dolls get played with, and handled, and have so much beauty and personality I wouldn't dream of parting with them (just as I wouldn't dream of selling a painting I love). The dolls I have in storage and don't play with just feel like stuff--they are just taking up room. I don't see the point of keeping dolls in boxes in storage.

19. I've sold several doll heads to fund my incessant buying (which isn't really that incessant... just impulsive). Does that count?

20. I've never sold a doll but that's not to say I haven't tried, however that boy didn't sell and don't plan on trying to sell him again.

However, he was the exception. I have never had the slightest inclination to sell any of my other boys. Maybe it's because, while I might love a doll on first sight, I never buy on impulse (not even the doll I tried to sell). It will take me several return visits before I'll convince myself to buy the doll.

I love all my boys and plan on keeping them with me.