1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Never ever sold a doll?

May 22, 2010

1. I just started out but I don't think I will be selling any of my dolls. I just love them too much! but if (what if scenario) I ever had to sell them, it'll most likely be because it is a matter of (financial) life and death lol

2. I never ever sold a doll and I do not really think of ever doing it in the near future.... I did think of doing it once or twice when I had really big money problems, but I knew that I would totally regret it afterwards so I didn't do it.

I do not feel I will ever sell one anytime soon because I buy only what I am sure to like. I had doubts one or twice, but its normal and selling them would not have been the answer. I research what I want, look at everything and when I find what I want I buy it (If I can) and when I get it its what I wanted so I do not really see why I would sell anything.
      I do trade though. If a part is not to my liking (Ex: I traded the normal body of my MNF for a muscular one) I try to find something to trade it for ^__^

I may do it later though.... I trying to find 2 dolls that I just cannot figure out which one so I may end up buying the "wrong" one and have to sell it... but I hope not :P

3. I have sold hundreds of dolls (I make cloth dolls), but never a bjd. Once it "tells me its name", I am doooomed. What a way to go.

4. I've never sold one, at least not at the moment.

What are your reasons?
      I've only had dolls since november,and I haven't had any disarpointments with them.

Would you ever consider it?
      I don't know. I think if a situation came along where I needed the money more than I needed the dolls I think I would; But I would see first if there was a way I could make what I needed and keep them. Or If I found I really wasn't bonding with a doll.

5. I have only sold one head, and it was because I foolishly purchased spur of the moment and it didn't suit what I needed it for, then another head came along that was better. As far as selling any of my 4 children, I don't see it happening, I love them dearly, I considered selling my MSD at one point since I realized I am very much a large doll girl, so I temporarily re homed her with my best friend who used her as a drawing model, but now she is back, and a few new clothes later she is part of the family once again.

6. Who here has never sold a doll?
      Not me. I never have and never will, even if I don't bond with the doll. I get too attached to the memories that it holds.

What are your reasons?
      No reason really. It's just something I don't do.

Never ever. I did consider it a few times, but I decided not to in the end. I get too emotionally attached. ^^;;

7. Nope, never sold a doll, and I don't think I could! I love all of these guys way too much to sell them. I once entertained the idea of selling my SchA, but as soon as I wrote the sales post, I looked back at him and thought, "No way I could do this," deleted the sales post, and that was the end of it. XD

I originally wrote it up because I had bought Azel (the SchA)'s head on a whim, and as soon as I got a body for him, I was perplexed as to how I could own two dolls at the same time. I wasn't thinking about selling Shin, my original doll, so I opted for Azel. I'm so glad I didn't submit that sales thread! He's one of my most favorite dolls now.

8. I sold my first and only doll before I even got my second. We simply just did not bond, and I knew he'd be better off with someone more suiting of him.

Also, I really needed the money. XD

9. I've also never sold a doll, and I don't think I will ever consider selling any of the ones I have or will have. I'm a very decisive sort of person, so usually when I think of something, I stick to it. Meaning, I got these dolls after much consideration, so by the time they get here, they're permanent fixtures. It also explains the reason why my doll family is so small. While I do have a wish list, there are dolls on there that I'm not sure 100% if I want them. Until I'm sure and have the funds to get them, that's when I put my foot down.

10. I would never ever in a billion years sell any of my dolls.

the only time I was ever disappointed was when I first got my Yder. He didn't have personality and the outfit and wig I picked out were atrociousssss.

After being pouty for about an hour, I got out some scissors and made a few snips, changed around some outfits until I found one that fits and I kid you not, he's one of my absolute favorites now. ^__^

Never once did I contemplate selling him though because he was perfect for one of my characters. I couldn't even begin to imagine him not being that character so I did whatever it took to make him loveable.

11. Thanks again for all the replies I have been getting. I have been reading them ^^.

12. I have sold or traded quite a few dolls in my time in the hobby. More than a lot of people would, I suppose.

What are your reasons?
      It's a simple fact that if I buy a doll and they don't work out the way I want or fit the character I thought they'd fit.... well they go out the door, basically. I don't need a really expensive hunk of resin that doesn't inspire me to be creative or that I don't absolutely adore.

I think some people take time to settle into their tastes in the hobby. Or their tastes change from where they thought they'd originally be. For me, I'm rather eclectic in my types of characters and thus I'm also eclectic in the kinds of dolls I get. In the end, I think it's only natural there will be a few I acquire that just won't fit what I want them to fit. That being said, if I don't absolutely love them after I try to make them the character they were intended... well I see no point in keeping them. If I'm not attached to them, selling them off really doesn't matter and isn't a hard decision for me.

Obviously I have and if any doll I get that doesn't fit in the future will be dealt with in the same manner, basically.

13. I haven't. I've been fortunate enough to not have any financial reasons to do so, and the more dolls I have around, the more dolls I can have fun painting! For me, not "bonding" isn't something that would make me sell--if I buy a doll, it's because I like the look of the thing, not because it will suit a character. I've got a few who I'd consider selling if I needed the money.

14. I have a lot of dolls and floaters. The only time I would even consider selling one is if I was in financial need, and even then I'd only sell the MNF and Delf bodies before any heads. I would do what I could to keep all of my heads as long as possible, because while the bodies are replaceable, the heads are where (most of the) the personality lies.

I have purchased dolls that I don't absolutely adore, but thought I would. I still can't bear to part with them. They may not get as much attention as some, but I still love them and they're still part of the collection (and a couple, they're really hard to find ...)

15. Actually I agree with you about the heads, Decoy Embra.

16. In five years and many, many, MANY "arrivals", I have never sold a doll, and feel blessed that I've never felt like I had to.

I'm sure I have abandonment issues, but I'd like to think that once they get here, they stay here. Many of my adoptees have traveled extensively from owner to owner, and it makes me happy to be able to provide a permanent home for the travelers. I get way too attached to them, and it would bother too much to see them go.

I did sell a head that I won at a convention, but it wasn't something that I even took out of the box.

I don't think I'd ever willingly consider it...it would have to be something I was made to do.

17. Ah....this is moi! I've never sold a doll. I am 40+ and my mom is 60+, we have never sold a doll in our lives! Our dolls are either given away, thrown away or kept, once accepted into the family, they stay here. I'm trying to sell a doll but just can't do it!!!! Can't part with any. Who is to be sold??? Nobody. :doh

I tried selling my Medicom RAH Zero (Lelouch Code Geass) figure encouraged by the price appreciation and the fact that I don't like the figure, but even that was not successfull. I ended up keeping the figure, can't take myself to even sell that. So now, I'm stuck with Lelouch :(

18. I've never sold a full doll, though I've sold 2 floating heads that I purchased mainly for the purpose of face-up practice and a modded faceplate that ended up being completely not what I wanted.

Unfortunately, that's going to change soon because of a completely impulse buy for my tiny who is soon going to be replaced by another tiny. Never really thought I'd actually want to sell one, but when you spend ages and ages not really paying attention to your newest doll and more interested in another mold, I think that's when you have to start selling. I don't see any point in keeping a doll who could make someone else happier.

19. At the point, I have not sold a doll yet (if not including the event head)
      However, I do not know if I will sell a doll in the future....because there are so many factors :sweat
      Also, money is always a big things...

20. I only have one but plan to get a lot more. Like a lot of people, I bond with things that I can see or feel clearly.
      ( When I was young,I would whine if my mom would throw away spare dough from packaging. lol)

So I wouldn't really consider it, due to all of the time I put into researching and considering the doll. Hence why I take all of my doll purchases seriously and think wisely before I buy them.

I also think that in the case of say, barbie, there's just nothing else you can do with her after you've hit like age 12. She's to geared to kids, or die-hard collectors. Both of which I'm not.

And really, when you can make a doll of your likeness, like a company will say, it's so much different than throwing away something pre-made opposed to throwing away something that's been given a part of you. Even if you model it after all of your favorite colors, that's still a detachment of you. You truly do feel as though you helped create it.