1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Never ever sold a doll?

May 22, 2010

1. Who here has never sold a doll?

I've changed bodies for a head... but it doesn't seem to count unless one sells the head, so me I guess.

What are your reasons?

I'm not much of an impulsive buyer. I almost DID buy one earlier this year on impulse but someone else got to it first and now I'm glad x_x I haven't been in the hobby too long, but I only try to buy when I'm really serious about the doll in question. And since I don't have much extra money, It'll be on my brain for a while before I can actually afford it. Also seeing how many people go through dolls obsessively, I vowed to not be one of those people.... And I also dont figure characters out til I have the doll selected.

Would you ever consider it?

If its a life or death money situation maybe... but in most cases, selling a doll would only be a momentary help, and then soon you'd have no money again, and no dolls to boot. I'd sooner take out a loan than sell my dolls, since the worth of my collection isn't exactly huge. I also have parents who have much more money than the sum of my dolls (which is only about $600 at the moment) who could bail me out of a situation far more successfully... I'm easily attached to things so I can't see me selling them no, but thats another reason why I don't want to have much more than I currently do.

2. I come from the opposite end of the spectrum having sold a LOT of dolls in a short time, so I felt I could comment here. n_n

I've been in the hobby for only a little over a year and have sold 15 dolls (well, one was just a head!), averaging selling about one doll a month. That's probably a lot considering quite a few have never sold a doll! I don't seem to have a great sentimental attachment to items anymore. I used to when I was younger but as the years passed and the realities of the world piled on top of me, objects took a serious backseat to time and ideas and even though I do love these dolls for their beauty and for what they mean to me (they kind of represent to me that I'm not impoverished any more like I was in my childhood) but they aren't much more than that. Some items mean a lot to me - for example, my wedding ring, my lucky necklace that I used to wear EVERYWHERE, the two dolls my husband gave to me as gifts, and a few others - but even those would not crush me if I lost them or had to sell them. Now, there are a few COMPLETELY irreplaceable things, like my journal or my book of poems I wrote that, if lost, would break my heart, but even those I would be over quickly.

Also, I don't as strongly apply characters to my dolls. Sure, they get names and personalities and stories but I'm not a novelist - all my writing is in poetry or short story or essay form so it's unlikely that I create strong characters that are close to my heart. That seems to be a major point of perma-bonding in this hobby, when people find THE doll to represent THE character but that doesn't happen with me and I'm not a big enough fan of anything to create fan dolls (save for one I've always wanted, the Baron from Whisper of the Heart but I haven't gotten around to him yet. I'm likely to keep him because I'd never play with him, just look at and appreciate him.) so my dolls are just dolls - pretty pieces of plastic with a name but not much more.

I change my mind a lot...a WHOLE lot. The majority of my dolls (nay, really ALL my dolls) were impulse purchases. So I guess selling dolls comes naturally to me. I'm very changing and mercurial and unpredictable which can be a weakness. Sometimes I wish I could commit to dolls a bit better! Sometimes I'm surprised I've stayed married as long as I have. ;)

3. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I've never sold a doll.

I had put up a floating head I'd gotten in error during a free head event (the company sent me the wrong skin tone but said I could keep the head AND sent me the correct skin toned head), but have decided not to sell it because a character has claimed it (and now needs a body *sigh*).

At one point, I'd considered selling the doll of the skin tone mix up because he just refused to be the character I thought he was. Once I realized the size was the problem (MSD/SD) and stopped trying to cram the one character into the sculpt, another of my characters (his son, ironically enough) piped up and claimed the sculpt. Now, I can't imagine that doll as anybody else.

What are your reasons?
      The dolls I buy are never impulse purchases. They are also character dolls in the novels I write. Generally, it's the character that chooses the sculpt and I have very little say in the matter (I just supply the money *snorts*). It would feel like I was selling one of my characters and I'd have a REALLY hard time with that.

Something very big would need to happen for me to sell any of my dolls. Even if I moved away from the hobby, I'd likely pack them away in their boxes as opposed to selling them. I can't say it would never happen as I don't know the future, but from what I know right now, no, I wouldn't sell any of my dolls.

4. Count me in as someone else who has never sold a doll - even though my doll family is bigger than I ever intended. :lol:
      The reasons are like many others have said: I'm sentimental and get attached to things in general. (At the end of each semester I thank all the computers for working so hard.) So of course I would be softhearted about my BJDs, with their expressive faces and graceful sculpts.

Each one was purchased after long (agonizing!) deliberations, so by the time each doll arrived I was sure he or she was very much wanted. They are out-of-the-box all the time, on my shelf where I can see and enjoy them everyday.

Would I ever consider selling a doll?
      I doubt it. I think I might regret it because there are a lot of memories with each doll. (And on a practical note, most of my dolls are older types, probably not too popular and less likely to sell.)

This is a fun thread ~ it's been nice to read about others who have kept all their dolls! On the other hand, several of my dolls were pre-owned, and I appreciate the people who sold them to me. It would have been really difficult for me to get these sculpts otherwise.

5. For a long time, I never sold a doll. I do occasionally sell a body or a head now or do a split. The reason is that the doll companies do not make it easy sometimes for me to get just what I want. E.g. I just want a head but they make me buy a head + body. Or I get a "free gift" head or an "extra head" with my order and I have no use for it. Worst case was Soom where I had to buy an entire Amber with all her silly fantasy parts just to get the Amber head which I wanted to make into a boy. (I could not find an open split for the head in the USA during the ordering period.) There is no point in me keeping items I don't want and won't use so I try to find them nice homes with people who will appreciate them. I would much rather just be able to buy exactly what I want, and then I would never sell a doll most likely, because I tend to buy for keeps.

I suppose if I was really strapped for cash I would start selling them off but on the other hand, in this market stuff takes a long time to move and you might not make back all you spent so I might look at other ways to raise money and keep my lovely dolls.

6. Who here has never sold a doll?
      Me! I can't even bear to think about it, really ;3; They are definitely my most precious posessions (did I spell that right), I love each one of them for different reasons. I am totally unabashed about how much I wub them, lol.
      What are your reasons?
      See above! ;)

I think that, even if I dropped out of being more active in the hobby, I would still keep them. I don't think there's any one "right way" to go about owning dolls. If, in a few years time, I am content for them to just sit around on the shelf, then that's what they'll do. Right now I'm loving customising and playing with them, though ^_^

In terms of selling them to get money for other things... y'know I've got other, far less precious things that I would prefer to sell before even thinking of boxing up the resins to move them on. I would do everything in my power to make sure I could keep them. I went through a lot of planning and budgeting to make sure I am able to afford the hobby, I don't want to put that work to waste, haha.

Though I refer to them as objects... they're like objects plus. They hold far more value to me than just their monetary worth... to me they are priceless.

7. Who here has never sold a doll? Me! Of course, I've only been into resins a year, but....^_^;; It counts for my vinyls too.

What are your reasons? I tend to do a LOT of research before deciding on a doll for a character, so by the time I get around to buying it I'm already pretty certain I made the right choice. I also have a floating head I bought to practice faceups on, which was kind of a random purchase, but I even have a plan for him once I'm done practicing on him.

Would you ever consider it? From my current collection? Never.

8. Who here has never sold a doll? [b/]
      No, I haven't. But I have sold floating heads.

What are your reasons?
      I don't really impulse buy, for one. XD
      I was close to selling one of my dolls for financial reasons and perhaps a trade down. But I've decided he is too cute I can't sell him. I wouldn't have any problem selling floating heads though.

Yes. Have done it. And will if it doesn't work out.
      Best that I sell the doll to someone who will play with it than them just sitting on my shelf not being loved.

9. The only doll I ever sold was a head I bought just to rescue it. It needed some sand and resculpting work and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep her or not. I just didn't have the budget to get her a body in the near future so rather than hang onto her I put her up for sale. I kinda had hoped she wouldn't sell though so I'd have an excuse to keep her. She sold fast tho.

My reasons for not selling are I like my dolls too much. I spend a lot of time looking at company and owner photos to make sure I'm going to want the doll. Its a lot of money and there is no guarantee you'll be able to sell it at the same price. I've only made one impulse buy and it was a fixer upper doll that was super cheap because she needed work. I ended up loving her though and I don't think I could part with her now.

I have considered selling my dolls when money is tight, but I never do. I doubt I even really mean it. I've got a lot of other stuff I could (and have) sell first. Mostly I just like their looks and most of them have had some sort of heavy modding done so I don't think they would really sell that well either.

10. I've never sold a doll and I have been in the hobby for a little over four years now.

I spend extended periods of time researching the dolls I want and make sure I see at least one in person before deciding to get one so I know that the doll will fit me and my doll family.

I might consider selling a promotional head but not likely. I order during promotions because I like what's being offered.

11. I have given one doll away for charity and would have given away another to a friend who adored her, but she wouldn't accept her. So I sold her for less than market on a very slow layaway.:) She loves her much more than I ever did. Sometimes, I am just a stopping place on the way to the doll's true home.

12. I have never sold a doll, but then again I only have 4 and 2 floating heads. I absolutely adore all of them and have bonded with all very well (except for one head but that's because it is still just an unplanned head without faceup). I get attached easy though (as others have said as well). I was afraid of not bonding with one of my dolls because no name sounded right to me and I've heard that's usually a sign that you just won't bond together. I adore him and was so upset that no name sounded correct, he's so photogenic and I love packing him around. Finally the his name hit me and it couldn't have been more perfect and finding his name after the worry attached me to him even more. So, I'm pretty easy to get attached.

I think I would consider it if I was given something for free (like free gift with purchase heads or something) and I just didn't care for it at all. One of my floating heads was a free 1/3 Mo head from DZ and although it is still naked and without a body, I do have plans to do something with it someday. But I probably would at least think about selling if it was just something I couldn't get my mind around.

I guess I might consider selling a doll if I just couldn't bond with it at all, but I would try other options first like changing faceup or style/storyline to see if I could get a better read on it.

13. I've never sold a doll. I only have one, and I love her dearly.

14. I am so glad I found this thread, because I always saw threads about "selling" and I always wondered if there were any other owners like me ^^U

Who here has never sold a doll?
      I haven't sold a doll. I was about to give a floating head as a gift to someone, but that person never picked it up and it came back to me (I know, pretty weird). I think it was fate because just after that happened I stopped being friends with her. I still don't know what to do with that floating head lol but now I know I won't sell it.

What are your reasons?
      That is a good question. I don't consider myself an emotional person, but sometimes I do get attached to certain things (like my laptop), beside things that have a more sentimental value (gifts given by very special people, for instance).
      I even considered reshelling my first doll because I found a more suitable mold for him. But then my sisters told me "Hey, your doll is awesome! never get rid of him!". And after thinking about it with a cold head, I've noticed they were right! He's my first doll and we've been through so many things together, and I've learnt face-ups with him and all that. Why should I sell him? Then I knew why I didn't sell them: We've been through several things together. I've even learnt photography with them, and they're all amazing models no matter what or if some pose horribly and what not. And if something is not quite right with any of them, I have hopes we'll work it out. So yes, I get attached to dolls XD

No, unless there's a terrible and unexpected incident that'll make me do it. But I certainly don't have plans to sell any of my dolls, or the ones that I'll own in the future.

15. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I was about to, but didn't. I don't think I could even consider it now
      (I've never sold anything in my life so far).

What are your reasons?
      Many, but mainly I'm attached to my material possessions a bit too much.
      I don't believe I could sell a doll and not stalk the person whom I sold
      my doll to, or regret it later. I rather not have regrets so I just keep my
      stuff/dolls even if I don't intend to play with them ever – it's just keeps me sane.

I did, but I think the sales thread was up for about 1-day or less.
      I know I would have regretted it (and the fact that the doll I was about to
      sell is now my most favored doll, just proves my theory). So now I just stick to
      not buying dolls on impulse instead, it saves me money and headaches later on.

- Enzyme

16. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I've never sold a doll.

What are your reasons?
      I like my dolls. I pick the dolls I pick based on my characters. I don't just buy dolls I like because of how they look and I really don't impulse buy. I always have a plan of what characters I would like to make into dolls next. The actual dolls I want for them is pretty flexible. I'm not saying I don't buy dolls quickly, even though I wouldn't call it an impulse buy. I've purchased two dolls the day that they came out and I don't regret it for a minute. I already knew I wanted them. I just didn't knew what actual doll they were going to be yet.
      I don't believe in bonding either. I think that's another reason. I don't wait to see what I feel for my dolls. I spent the money on it, I better like it. There's just no two ways about it.

No, I really don't think so.
      I would if I really seriously needed the money, but that would be the only reason.

17. I've never sold a doll, and hopefully I never will. Honestly I don't think I could unless I was in dire need of money (packrat and junk-bonder by nature here). Since I buy about one doll a year from my constantly-reviewed wishlist, I have usually been anticipating each new Resin Person pretty strongly for a pretty long time before I even order them, and by the time they're in my hands I know I could never let them go :)

18. Who here has never sold a doll? I have!

What are your reasons? I pick out my dolls as part of my family, and as much as we may all want to at times, you cannot sell your little sister. I feel very attached to my kids. I was out of the hobby for 3 years and I thought about selling often, as I had alot of money put into this Hobby, but even then I could not bring myself to do it.

Nope, I know when I buy a doll I am just adding to my strange Flock and I want it that way.

19. I've been collecting for six years now, and I've never sold a doll. Even when my interest has waned, even when I've not had much interest in particular dolls, I've not wanted to sell, and I can pretty securely say that only if I were really hurting for money would I start selling them off. Frankly, it would make me feel guilty on some level; I know there's no logic in this, but... so ist das Leben! :)

20. I only have one doll but I would never ever even dream of selling him! I'd have to dislike something a lot in order to think about selling it, but then again, I usually don't buy anything that I'm not %100 certain I will like.