1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Never ever sold a doll?

May 22, 2010

1. Who here has never sold a doll?
      So far, I haven't

What are your reasons?
      I like all of my girls and have no desire to part with them. There is one I don't consider to be "complete," but I've never had any feedback as a seller, which makes me rather nervous that no one will buy from me.

Would you ever consider it?
      I have one project doll in the closet who is pretty much complete, but I don't feel much of a connection to her, so she's the most likely one.

2. I don't think I'll ever do that. That's just too cruel to my lovely doll. :(

3. Would i sell a doll? yes. have I, no. But that's cause i'm still waiting on my first doll. They are lovely and beautiful, but if i bought one and decided i didn't like it, i wouldn't keep it. My reasoning is that they cost too much to own a doll i dont even like. I'd give it a few days, but if after a few days i havent gotten attached to it, i would get rid of it. I dont have the money to be hanging onto a $200+ doll that i dont even like. But this is also why i'm thinking long and hard before buying a doll

4. I posted here before, long ago. My mom and I have a doll collection, the oldest has been with us more than 50 years. We never sold a doll. Once adopted, they stay with us until they are either broken beyond repaire and thrown away, given away as gifts or they continue to stay with us.

Recently, I took courage and sold my first doll!!!!! Yeh......I did it!! On ebay. It was a vinyl BJD off topic in this forum but sold a doll, that I DID! She was sold because she's an extra doll, I have another like her and she was defective. Anyway, I went on the sell a Luts SDF body and my Howl head is still up for sale but nobody has made an offer. I also sold one of my ultra rare action figures.

At some point, I have to sell some. We have so many different types of dolls. Our old vintage dolls are mostly cheap because my mom was very poor when she was young. Some are broken but because they were gifts from very dear friends, we keep them. It's not about money or space but of the memories of those people who gave us the gift.

tentenpiemaster I understand why you now think very hard and long before buying a doll. I find it troublesome to sell dolls. However, I think you should give yourself and a new doll more time to bond. Took me more than 1 year to bond with my F38 from Volks but now, I love him to bits, I won't exchange him for any other. :|

5. Never. I've 8 dolls now and I love every one of the dears to bits. I've never even dealt with the bonding thing. I think for me, just spending that kind of money is enough of a commitment to want to keep them and make them the awesome characters I see them being!

The only reason I can see selling a doll is if it were a freebie that came with a doll I wanted. If it's not a head or doll I wanted or had a character for.. there'd not be much use for it.

6. I second this LOL!

I haven't sold any (well, I'm still new at this, my girl has been with me for prolly less than a month), but I don't plan to either. I think it's just sad for the poor doll >: I mean, of course, if you don't love it, it'll be better off in a more loving house. But that's why I put in my wishlist only those that I absolutely 'must have'.
      I don't know if this will ever change in the future, which I highly doubt as I get emotionally attached to things that I keep for long, but for the time being, I am only considering of growing my dolly-family and not shreanking it at all ^u^~

7. stargazer i- i can see what you mean about giving it more time. However it is really kinda a lot of money. like i said to keep one i didn't like. But then again my opinions are coming from being a new not-quite owner of a doll. when i finally own one, i might decide to never sell one ever XD

8. I've never sold a doll.
      It's about 2 years that I'm in a bjd-hobby and I have not only newly-made dolls, but also second-hand ones. But I never thought about selling a doll. For me they're like a part of a family or good friends with their own character and personality. Have you ever thought about selling your brother or sister?

9. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I haven't sold a doll from my collection.
      What are your reasons?
      I hate to part with anything.
      I'm at the point now where I am considering it for a couple of my bjd's.

10. Who here has never sold a doll?
      Me!
      What are your reasons?
      I very carefully choose dolls and buy not just pretty dolls or during the some beneficial event. It should touches me. And then i get used to my dolls and simply can't parting with them. Each is valuable to me in different ways.
      Yes. Once my mom persuaded me. =)

11. I've never sold an actual whole doll but, I did sell an event head that I got from Luts one Christmas. It was a hard decision but, I knew I wasn't interested in getting a body for it so, I thought I would pass it along to someone who would actually use it and apreciate it. If I had plenty of money and plenty of space (ha, ha, like that would ever happen), I would never sell anything doll related. I would just keep it all in case I changed my mind some where down the line.
      In reality, with all the company freebies and all the dolls that arrive not as expected it is only practical to sell something now and then.

12. I have never sold a doll and don't plan on ever doing so : ) I once sold two pairs of elf ears, that's as far as my resin-selling goes. My reason: I guess I would feel a little bit mean. Even though I don't see the dolls as people with feelings, it's just not in my nature to throw something away just because it's not perfect. I'd rather try to make it better : ) Also, I get attached to things easily...(though I wouldn't call myself a hoarder...not yet, anyway :sweat)
      Once I ran a doll split and I had a hard time sending the body away (to the rightful owner), even though I hadn't spent money on it and didn't want it -_-

13. I've never sold any of my dolls.

I have sold a head I got as a gift and a doll that I bought when I was getting a body to hybrid my Lusis. The second doll was a custom head/body mix and was originally going to go to my friend and I was going to keep the extra head but she backed out so it got sold.

I doubt I will ever sell one of 'my' dolls. I choose them incredibly carefully. I've been agonizing over the sculpt to get for my final doll since MNF Rheia came out a few years ago, and still haven't bought her yet... so that probably give you some indication. ^^;

The only other time I could see myself selling one of my dolls would be if I decide to fully upgrade my B-line MNF.

14. Who here has never sold a doll? Meeeee! :lol:

What are your reasons?
      I've never had a doll I needed or wanted to sell! That's all.

If a doll wasn't working out for any reason I'd sell, but until then...

15. I haven't sold a full doll just yet, although I have sold doll clothes that didn't work out quite the way I was hoping. The why is pretty easy for me; for a long time I only owned one doll to begin with!

Although now that I have more, I'll probably start selling off some at some point in the future, just like I sell off parts of all my collections over time.

16. Who here has never sold a doll?
      -I haven't.

What are your reasons?
      -I never even owned a doll.

-Yesh. I would say that is one of many benefits of these dolls...that they can be quite valuable so when one may feel that it is time to let it go, someone else will gladly buy it and it is even possible that limited edition will produce a higher price.

17. Who here has never sold a doll?
      I've not sold a doll, and I'll probably never sell my dolls, though I might consider it if it's something like a free head or if I got the doll for the body I might sell the head etc.

What are your reasons?
      First, ignoring that it's ridiculously troublesome to sell a doll, I don't like the idea of selling. There's a lot of what-ifs involved. What if I regret it? What if I buy a new sculpt for the character but find the old one was better? Even if I get a new head of the same mold, it's unlikely it'll feel the same, and also, I can't get the same faceup etc. So for me, I think really really hard about getting a doll, whether I really LIKE the mold, whether he/she will fit in, and everything before I buy. It's also partly about the money issue, cos even if you get back what you paid for the doll, it's likely you'll lose some from shipping, paypal fees and the like, so I'll rather not have the trouble, and think hard before buying so I won't need to sell.

I had considered it in the past, with my first doll, but decided to send him for a faceup first, to see what happens. As it was, the faceup change was sufficient to keep him around, and he felt more in character after that, so he stayed. Also, I had considered changing him (Dreaming Lishe boy) to another mold (MD Jina boy), and it's funny cos I now have both molds, and I can't imagine Gabby being a MD Jina, so I'm glad I never did sell the lishe head like what I had considered, cos it'll have been all wrong.

18. As a new BJD collector, what appealed to me when I first started collecting has changed over time. For me, it is related to exposure to all the different types and brands of dolls available. I just didn't know they existed before. And also learning about the hobby and how to navigate the choices for BJDs. Not knowing where to find eyes, wigs, clothing and shoes can be very intimidating to new collectors. At one point, way at the beginning, I almost gave up because it seemed too hard. But to get back to the question, yes, I have sold BJDs before when I stopped enjoying them or when I had to make the choice to sell one in order to buy another.

19. I have not yet sold one of my dolls. I've been in the bjd hobby about 3 years, but have been slowly accumulating off-topic dolls for, well, nearly all of my life. As of this post, I have 5 bjds and am on the verge of the 6th.What are your reasons? There are far too many beautiful sculpts and due to the cost, I have to love a sculpt. My first, B&G Rin, was purchased as an experiment to see how I would like bjds at a relatively low price. I had no other goal other than to like the sculpt and I liked him very much and still do. As tends to happen, more dollehs followed and with each purchase, character development continued to the point that I am now developing a big story arc for the group. At this point, new dolls have to fit into the story. It's a complex story and I'm in no rush. When a sculpt strikes my fancy, I look through the Database Database and see how other owners personalize the sculpt and to see photos from different angles. I find the more candid owner shots show more helpful than the styled company website shots. At this point, I see how long my dollie crush lasts. Would you ever consider it? I'm working on a complex story, so selling any of my crew seems unlikely. I don't buy impulsively nor do I purchase dolls with the thought of selling them later, if needed. I play with, sew and knit for, write stories, shoot my dolls. Anything is possible and the future is uncertain, but for now, they're mine (ok, and technically my husbands, 'cuz it's a community property state, although, he really has no interest....)

20. I've never sold a doll because I only have one BJD- Luts HD, Volks Romantic Nono (to come).
      The reason I recently joined here.

As for the rest of my dolls, I think because years of memories.
      They are stuffed in boxes in the garage piling up ceiling high,
      and I still can't get myself to get rid of them.

I must be waiting for something to happen, like, maybe they walk away on their own?