1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New Chinese Piracy

Mar 10, 2009

1. I wonder if seamlines would also indicate a copy? They would not be in the same place as the original.

Midnatia: I'm pretty sure Mimiwoo is from Hong Kong, not mainland China.

cheshiretiffy: I couldn't open them on IE, but Firefox worked. I wonder if it's the phishing filter on IE stopping me opening them.

2. I don't buy dolls from the 2nd Hand market.
      What angers me the most is the blatant disregard/disrespect of the effort put into the original dolls.
      To think someone out there is going to try to deceive someone into selling them their once treasured dolls for them to just be taken apart and subjected to the process of recasting is just disgusting

3. I just don't understand why they don't make their own molds and try to become a legit company. I gather because that would be too much money or some sort of thing... I just don't understand how people could make money off of other people's work. Different morals and values I assume. :/

4. I'm pretty amazed at how the fake recasts look. In the pictures, I can't tell it isn't real! And to think I was already nervous buying on websites like EBay, etc. :sweat

5. Yeah, these folks are pretty ballsy for what they're doing and proclaiming it so openly. However, there's little chance for prosecuting them. The most the BJD community can do is educate and pass the word.

I can understand why they're doing it and (don't crucify me for this opinion please) with the high demand for limited dolls, even on the aftermarket, it's not really that surprising that someone would want a piece of the pie. But I hardly think that the BJD companies should make larger runs of limited editions or stop making LEs all together because of this.

6. That's the most worrying thing to me--if they try and pass them off as their own or sell them under their company name, then it's pretty easy to tell that they're faked (which is what usually seems to happen), not to mention that they usually end up with waaaay to good to be true pricing. Actually advertising a direct copy as the original opens up a whole nother can of worms. I have no fear of buying second hand on DoA, but I don't really trust ebay for this reason--too many bootleggers and scammers end up there, and ebay usually won't do a thing about it.

The sad thing is is that there are now so many legit lower cost Chinese companies that make really nice dolls--there's just no excuse for this (not that there would be a good excuse for copying anyway, but you can't even make up a bad excuse anymore). You'd think the people who knew they were buying fakes would at least care somewhat about quality--even if it's a mold that you want and can't easily get an original of, what good is it if it makes you sick or falls apart?

7. I'm surprised they are making knock-offs of such elaborate dolls....with the poorer quality and cheaper resin they are bound to use, I'm sure the more balanced dolls like Sard and Beryl will be rather unstable.

This whole thing is pretty sad.

8. This is absolutely horrible! I seriously hope no one knowingly buys from these people and supports them!
      Has anyone notified the companies who have doll molds in jeopardy? o.o
      I can't believe this! What's the point of limited dolls if anyone can get knock-offs that look just like them!
      I'm new to dolls, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, most likely, if they looked like the real things. If I ended up buying one from a second-hand market, I'd have no idea if I was getting a real one of not, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! D:

9. Well this is a kick to the teeth, and if they continue with their plans could easily make it very hard to buy off the 2nd hand market.

Cheap kicks vs supporting the company who produces the originals, I know I'll be supporting my faveorite companies.

10. Just like knock-off versions of other expensive things (handbags etc) this was inevitably going to happen. However, it is very unfortunate since (IMO) BJDs require a lot more originality and creativity.

11. Sad to say, but I'm going to be wary of selling and buying anything from Soom on the second hand if it's coming from China. I hope this is just a joke that we've taken the wrong way. I agree it was only inevitable. Soom's made a lot of money off these dolls, they were a smash hit with the BJD community.

It makes sense that copy artists would love to try cashing in on those of us that may have missed chance to grab at the real set.

12. I think this just emphasizes the fact that we have to be intelligent, informed comsumers. This kind of information shouldn't be relegated to just the forums, but addressed by ALL doll media. It's one thing for those of who have read this thread, but what about the others who never read the News/Gen Discussion threads? What about the newbies to BJDs who want a doll so badly, but don't know how to recognize what is legit and what isn't. Not that we necessarily have a responsibility to other buyers, but the more pro-active we are about informing the community, the better we will be able to prevent or lessen the impact of pirated dolls in the secondary market.

So, yeah, spread the word. Talk about it on your blogs and forums, including Ebay forums. Spread it on your LJ/Facebook/MySpace. Write e-mails to the doll magazines and online mags. Get the word out and hopefully, this can be (mostly) nipped in the bud.

13. Wow... I'm in a situation where I'm unable to purchase Glot and Glati currently, and had planned on purchasing them later second hand. I was prepared for the mark-up because I really would like to own them and it's just not in the cards for me currently. Now however, if this really does happen, there's a very good chance I'll be staying clear of the second hand market, especially for limited like these.

I had been trying to involve myself more with trades and second hand sales as of late in order to not only help my own collection but that of others... I guess it may be time to give some serious though to just buying new from now on. :/

14. I'm new to bjds and adopted my first (and currently only one) from the marketplace . . . it was already difficult to trust a stranger, but it worked out and he is great . . . I like the idea of adopting from the marketplace because if bonding doesn't occur, what happens to the doll? I am so new to the hobby tho, that if I received a fake doll, I would have no idea . . . it's such a shame these situations causing fear and distrust. One of the things I like about bjds is that they keep their value. Unlike my digital camera or computer that will be obsolete in a few years, and would only sell for a very reduced price. If it became impossible to resell a doll for close to it's value I would be very scared to buy a doll. What if i just didn't bond?

15. I guess it's time to start requesting pedigrees and proof of direct purchase from the company whenever one is buying a doll from the secondhand market. :(

And why hasn't anyone hacked this Chinese forum yet? :sneaky

16. they are not only copying other companies dolls but are also bad mouthing the companies they are stealing from.
      they said this about angel studio:
      据说这个使用的是法国进口的树脂
      比较通透,但是购买的过人很多都说,这个所谓的法国树脂,更加脆容易开裂

translated:
      It is said that the use of the resin are imported from France
      Comparison of permeability, but the man buy a lot of that, this so-called French resin, more brittle crack easily

they are also bad mouthing certain face shapes and body shapes as well as different joint systems

they also had the nerve to add to their profile on DZ:
      并且有抄袭日本sd的问题

translated:
      And there is the issue of plagiarism sd JAPAN

talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. This is actually disgusting. I can't stand the thought of this. And that TaoBao site is awful. I took a peek to see what they were offering. A Yder?? That hits really hard because I own a Yder. I imagine that the owners of Els, Dions, and Unoa Lusis might feel the same way.

It's awful to see companies doing this. I makes me sick to think about it. I don't care if my dolls cost me a lot of money I don't want to buy a cheap knockoff. This is a main reason I'm ultra wary of buying from Ebay and second hand in general. I was always wary second hand before but now... *sigh*

I agree with St. James Time to start requesting Pedigrees or Proof of Purchase. It's sad really.

18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere on DoA that Dollzone copied its 70cm boy bodies from Volks?

(Someone else can use the search function, my brain is too burned out to even try.)

19. that is what people claimed but it was completely untrue. (i mean, common sense would say IF it were true, they would be banned, right? )

but dollzone had copied in the past, but i believe it was an msd sized doll that is no longer sold.

20. Wow, what a bunch of thieves!! :evil: It's sickening really. I feel terrible for everybody that gets duped into buying copied dolls.