1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New or Second Hand For your First Doll

Oct 18, 2010

1. I bought my first two boys new around the same time, but I think I may start buying secondhand as it seems to be a lot less of a hassle!

2. i would prefer to start with 2nd hand doll if ill find my Chloe.
      for my dream BJD i will have to buy parts and they will be new from store
      i prefer to avoid having bodies without heads or headless bodies

3. I agree with a lot of these posts that it really must depend on the actual doll you want. Of course there are costs benefits (and sometime shipping benefits) to buying second hand. However, it's also great to support doll companies by buying new. When I started, I was lucky enough to be able to purchase my first BJD in person from a collector store in Hong Kong. My second doll was brand new, shipped from Ringdoll and was hugely satisfying as well. I guess ultimately the most important thing is to do your research so your first, no matter where it comes from, is a great experience. Good luck!

4. My first doll is brand new mostly because I fell in love with my baby from their site and found out from some friends that it is best to buy from the company for first timer to avoid accidentally purchasing recasts uvu

But I guess thats just me :)

5. My first several dolls were new as I wasn't on DoA when I first joined the hobby. When I gained MP access I started looking into preowned dolls. I've had good experiences with both. Being able to buy used dolls in parts has lead to a lot of fun hybrids. I've also gotten some great deals and scored some things that are no longer available.

6. My first doll was also brand new and ordered through a dealer in my country because that time I hadn't joined any BJD forum and knew only little about where I could purchase them. But I think, new or second hand doesn't matter at all. I also got a second doll on DOA and 2 dolls on other forum.

7. I got my first doll new because I didn't have access to the marketplace at the time and I didn't really know where else to buy bjds second hand. Now all but 4 of my dolls are secondhand because it means that they're not going to take long to get here at all, shipping won't be expensive (sometimes I can even pick them up in person, which is GREAT!) and it means that I can take the doll in give them a new home if they didn't really fit so well with their previous owner and their doll family. I think that it's whether or not you love the doll, not whether they were new or second hand that counts. There are obviously a couple of things that you have to be careful of when buying a doll secondhand (staining, chipping, etc) but I've had a pretty good run with second hand dolls!

8. I'm definitely with those who say it depends on the doll you want... I've tended to buy new, myself, and my first was new (I wasn't on DoA at the time and really didn't have much concept of where to get them other than "through a dealer" back then); at this point, I have 26 at home, and only four of those are secondhand--it's not because I have anything against buying that way, though! I think, if an individual is careful of what they're looking at, and has a doll they truly want that comes available secondhand, it can definitely be a good option!

9. While I didn't order my first doll from a company, she was a new issue and I bought her from someone I knew and trusted. I have since bought mostly new ordered but have bought two Fairyland dolls used in great shape. Being new to BJDs, I'm still learning a lot, and the issue of recasts is always on my mind. I really want to be sure to support the artists and their creativity.

10. I bought my first doll (a tiny) directly from the artist. I have no regrets except that a limited edition full-set was available and I wish I had taken that opportunity rather than starting with a blank doll (which, for a newbie started me off in a frenzy to get her "presentable.") She's still my favorite and I love that I'm the first/only person to have handled her since leaving the maker's hands.. getting her faceup and aesthetics like I want them has been really tough and expensive though. Lesson learned the hard way.

My first "large" doll (42cm is large to me, as a beginner..) was secondhand from a large(ish) brand. I picked her up mostly to see if I liked the size and could bond with a doll in that size/weight range. The fact that she was secondhand got her to me quickly and relatively ready-to-go for an affordable price.

If I could do it over, I'd go for either a fullset or secondhand doll with extras for my first. Definitely recommend the same to most anyone else getting started! The little extra investment is worth the decisionmaking-stress and hassle saved, I believe, because when you're new you can get in over your head tooo easily! -_-