1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New or Second Hand For your First Doll

Oct 18, 2010

1. My first doll was second hand and I really think it was for the best ^^
      It is a good way to start and get familiarized with how the MP works and also on the different companies =D
      Its also easier to buy and (most of the time) "cheaper" ^^

2. My first doll was bought new from Fairyland. She was a new sculpt and wasn't on the secondary market. If I would buy a second hand doll, it woud be an older doll, that's no longer available from the Doll company.

3. I think it depends on the case, on every person, waiting and possible customs charge (New) versus maybe not that good condition and yellowing (Second hand).

In my case, all the BJD I purchased were new, from the first (From Luts) to the last one (From Dollmore). Only a couple of extra BJD, for special work on same characters I already had, are second hand. The reason is I do not care pretty much about waiting. What I really care about is my BJD get home safety. And luckyly I suffered customs charges only once, curiously when I bought one of the two second hand BJD I got and never when I bought new BJD from their companies.

4. I'm one of those "don't use stickers keep the sheet looking perfect" people so I'm probably not going to buy a doll ever second hand. My first doll is definitely going to be new. I just don't feel the sparkle when somethings not new, ya know?

5. My girl sold out few months ago T_T so that second hand without alternative =/

6. It really depends. I wouldn't mind buying a second hand doll but it depends how much of a difference it is compared to getting it brand new. If there's not much of a difference, then there's no point. It also depends if you can find the doll at all. Like the Asleep Eidolon Jiao Jr., she's not a very popular doll and no one happens to be selling her secondhand either. But she didn't cost that much brand new and sure, the waiting is no fun but I don't mind. If you love the doll, then it shouldn't matter how long of a wait it is. As long as you're happy in the end.
      My friend bought a BJD secondhand but she got a GREAT deal for it. Especially for just the head that already has the company's faceup on him. And he's been made this year so he's fairly new. ^^ And VERY well taken cared of. So yes, it all depends on how much you save getting it secondhand compared to getting it brand new, in my opinion.

7. I would prefer to buy direct, and since I live in Asia shipping would be cheaper for me.
      Unless it's a limited doll, like my Delf Breakaway which was already sold out when I decided to buy, so I got him second hand.
      He was very well taken care of so I didn't mind at all.

8. For me, I prefer new, because of the shorter wait... I know I know... Then you gotta wait like a month just for them to make it.
      But for example, I'm currently waiting on a Pukifee Shiwoo, which I ordered in late September. I posted a WTB thread in the market place about a week before that, and I completely forgot to delete it after purchasing him from Fairyland. It was only last week before someone responded to that thread. By purchasing him new, I got the whole process officially started that much sooner.
      Some dolls you can maybe find a ton of for sale on DoA, but I find it pretty hard to find the one I want second hand.
      Second hand is great though if you're only looking at what's available now, not looking specifically for a certain sculpt. I know some people do that for the first doll.

9. I bought my first doll second hand because he was an adorable sculpt and a good price, with some clothes and such. ^^; He was on LJ and I wasn't really that knowledgeable about dolls then (not that long ago lulz). He isn't in the best of shape, and I discovered after his arrival that he's now (at least) third hand. And very yellow, from 2005. XD Next doll, I hope to buy directly from DOD, unless someone is selling a fullset in the market. = u='

10. I would want to buy either new or second hand.. but I don't have the money and finding a bjd here is very rare indeed...

11. Being new to the bjd thing, I would definitely buy the first doll new, there's just too much to them and so much money that goes into these dolls for me to trust my first doll to come from a second hand place.

12. I wasnt knowledgeable about the MP when I first joined, so my first doll was ordered brand new from the company. But after that I learned to buy from the MP. The prices are just better and there's no super-long wait times. But there are times when I do have to order directly from the companies cause I cant find the doll I want on the MP xB

13. The first doll i bought was brand new, and honestly the smell of fresh resin is very plesant...
      But i have bought second hand on multiple occassions after and it was nice to get my dolls very quickly.

There are definitely advantages of both. Buying new you get to experience free gifts from companies (always made me smile), new resin, and a cushie box... BUT buying second hand you can get them for cheaper and closer to your location.

I love both.
      having a hard time deciding... lol

14. i brought mine new because i want to be the very first owner. I compare the price between new and secondhand the price different about $50-75 dollar

15. All four of my dolls were purchased second-hand (the first off e-bay, two via DoA's marketplace and one purchased locally). I liked the lack of wait times and the fact that the dolls cost me a bit less than what I would've paid new.

16. Well since I started this thread I figured I should drop back in a add some new information.

Been looking at getting the Tender Too and Tender Bee-A set from DoD for a while now and couldn't get past the long wait time and rather pricey shipping. So I started looking on the Marketplace here to see if any would pop up and after searching for almost a year and not finding both doll up at the same time I finally found them both secondhand from the same seller here.

So, I'm getting both of my new dolls second hand instead of direct from the company. They are fantastic shape and look amazing!

17. Hi guys, I've recently been put into a situation that means I can buy my first doll from the Marketplace.

She will be no cheaper than buying her from the Company I would have originally but she will get to me within the week almost so that's a huge plus as I've been saving for a year now! (Never get a car! Mine eats fuel >.<)

So I wondered, would you or have you ever bought your first doll from the Marketplace? Or would you prefer that your first doll was made for you?

There's some points I can think of as to why someone would say no to getting it from the MP:

1. It's not custom made for you.
      2. Someone else has owned it and the doll now has a different style.
      3. The doll I may get has a limited edition faceup and I'm worried I'll never bring myself around to removing it! (Even though I want to!)

Reasons someone would say yes:

1. They'll be with you quick! (No waiting while your doll gets made)
      2. Could get a limited doll from the MP that's no longer available.
      3. Could be cheaper than asking price from company.
      4. Layaway option as opposed to some companies.

I'd love to see everyone's opinions. So would you, wouldn't you or have you ever bought your first doll second-hand or from the Marketplace?

Katherine x

18. I bought my first doll from a company, but then again I hadn't joined DoA yet :) If I'd had access to the marketplace, I'd probably have searched here too :D
      I like the idea of getting the doll quickly when buying from the marketplace, but I also kind of like the idea of being the very first owner of my doll :)
      Some would say that the long waiting period that comes with buying from a company is a good way to help you bond better with your doll too! :lol:

I guess I have a fairly neutral opinion :sweat I'd say go ahead and buy from the marketplace, unless you believe in the bonding thing! ;)

19. I bought my first doll direct from the company, since that was what I was more comfortable doing at the time. Since then a lot of my dolls have second hand off the market place -- it gives me access to sculpts I may not otherwise be able to find, and I've gotten some really good deals there. With the marketplace, if you're patient you can really do well. If you have any questions or concerns about a doll, simply ask the owner for more pics, information, what have you before deciding to buy and make sure to check feedback. Being made for me doesn't really matter, as it doesn't alter anything -- unless it's an FCS or they'll take faceup requests, they're going to make all their dolls the same way anyhow.

To be honest, just because an owner had their doll in a particular style, doesn't mean it can't be changed -- the same goes with new dolls too. A lot of people don't stick with the default look (not to mention that most come bald and naked anyway). There are lots of dolls on the marketplace, and you don't have to choose one with an LE faceup anyway. But do remember, these dolls are meant to be customized, so there's no reason not to change something you don't like. I've wiped a very nice custom faceup before with no regrets, because as pretty as it was, the faceup was keeping me from coming up with a character for the doll.

20. I'm still more comfortable buying from a company because it just seems safer to do that. Ebay is riskier than ordering from a trusted company. When I order a doll from somewhere direct, I know it's going to take a while, but I also know that I am getting a doll. I don't really need to worry that someone's taken my money and run away with it. I also don't have to worry that my doll is potentially stolen property.

However, I am slowly - very slowly - beginning to warm up to the Marketplace. While I haven't purchased anything yet, I think I would feel comfortable buying certain things - like props and inexpensive items. I wouldn't be taking as big a risk with them as I would with a full doll.