1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New or Second Hand For your First Doll

Oct 18, 2010

1. I am so excited to find my Realpuki Soso, that I don't care either way if she's second hand or new, (Of course I want her to be in great condition if second hand.) She'll be my first BJD..... Come home little girl where ever you are! :D

2. My first was direct from the company, but mostly because I wasn't very marketplace savy. I think secondhand is a better option, since the quality is usually about the same and the price is usually significantly lower, which is a plus.

3. I did a bit of both for my first one, ha. I fell in love with a DIM Minimee (Cloud Strife ^_^). I would have gotten one new(I think humans are naturally inclined to 'mark' something as their own, and by having something that was previously owned, I think it may feel less their own, as it has already been 'marked' by the last owner. At least that's why I think most people prefer NEW SHINY!), but that particular sculpt of him was no longer being made, so I bought it secondhand. They are only heads, so I had to find a body with the correct resin match and proportion-- (I spent HOURS looking that crap ...UGH.)Luckily I found one that was perfect for what I needed and incredibly cheap, so I ordered it from Angelsdoll.

I am buying my next one from the company though, because I like the thought that it was made just for me. But then again, by me finding one on the MP, perhaps it was meant to be? That's why I also have a Delf El planned that I'm going to buy secondhand, so in the end I don't think it matters.

4. I always look secondhand first but if I can't find what I want in good condition I just buy from the company :)

5. I would prefer second hand doll is the seller lives in the same city as me so I can see doll in person before buy it. Without that - from company only.

6. i think for your first secondhand would probably be better in a lot of ways. It's cheaper shipping, and will come to you faster, and sometimes comes with extras. However, I personally wouldn't want my very first doll to be used. It's just a matter of... principle. I wanted my first doll to be mine, and mine alone. After that, though, secondhand is fantastic.

7. My first one will be direct from the company but i wouldn't mind a well love second hand doll.

8. Although a secondhand doll could be just as good as a new one, I currently prefer to buy directly from the company. I'm a little vary about purchasing goods from private people on the net still. It would be the end of the world if I got scammed. I'd die if I accidentally bought a stolen bjd. Besides; I want the best quality I can get for my first girl. >w< <3 Expensive, yes, and a long wait, but worth it in my opinion.

9. I got my first 4 from Junkyspot. Then I got brave and branched out, getting a couple second hand, tried MoC, DDE...then more second hand....straight from companies...lol

There are pros and cons to both.
      New: will be in mint condition, a fresh new face, ready to be yours. BUT costs more and may take longer to arrive.
      Used: usually cheaper and may come with extras. May be able to request a new faceup. faster shipping (usually). But may have damage or not be as described

I have a pretty decent mix of new and second hand dolls. It doesn't affect how I feel about them. Amir (bought new) and Loki (bought 2nd hand in pieces...lol) are my favorites. And I've had dolls, both new and used, that I didn't bond with or enjoy. I think it's more about getting the doll you want than about it being new or not.

10. My first and only doll was new. I searched and searched for her. i knew when I had seen her that she was the one!

11. Both my dolls are second-hand, and its actually really hard for me to consider buying straight from the company because I know I would feel like I wasted my money waiting for months and months to get my doll. Even when I was looking into a second doll, I feverishly searched the DoA Marketplace and then even started looking through American distributors. Its all about the timing factor for me.

That being said, one day I hope to order from the company. Just once, so that I have the experience - but for right now I'm quite happy with the way I'm doing things.

12. It really depends on the situation. I have done both, and had great experiences with both! I order most of my dolls new, mostly because once I have enough saved and know what I want, I want to order. I'd rather wait for an order to arrive, then wait for the perfect doll to show up on the marketplace. However, if what I want is on the marketplace, all the better!

13. My first doll was from the marketplace, but was still new in box. He was a limited and the owner never opened it other than to see if it was damaged. I went with the marketplace for my first because I was potentially moving within weeks of buying him. I didn't want to deal with a potential address change when ordering from a company. Though I regret my first doll being a limited, there's nothing wrong with ordering from the marketplace vs the companies or vice versa. Anymore, I use the marketplace for clothes and bodies or heads, but prefer to get my full dolls from the companies themselves.

14. My first doll was second hand, I didn't really want to wait months for him to arrive plus the way I saw it was that he needed a good home and he'd get one with me. I then realized I prefer second hand dolls cuz they needs more loving. :3

15. I would always prefer to buy it new because it is well...new. lol
      But if I can't find the one I want in new and it is only available secondhand, I'll buy it secondhand. :)

16. When I started to collect BJD`s I wanted new one, to feel the pain of waiting and then the joy of box opening. :lol:I also was afraid that the second hand doll may come damaged or something between those lines.
      Now most of my dolls are second hand because most of them are sold out already so there is no chance in getting them brand new. As for dolls which are available I rather get them new unless seller is in the UK or they have amazing modifications. Doll companies tend to lower the cost on invoice, which is great because every doll of mine gets caught by customs so in that case I dont pay as much as I would for the full price while buying on Marketplace. I never ask to lower the value on Marketplace. I prefer to pay more for customs that loose all money when doll gets lost.

17. My first was new. Mine are all new, or I have bought second hand in person... I need to bring my credit card holder around to the idea of second-hand online.

18. I would like my first doll to be new. Mostly just because it is my first doll and I just would like to be the first one with the doll I guess. Starting off with the first doll I just want something fresh and new.

19. First two were one and the other XD. One was a gift and was like 4th hand, and the other was new from the factory :3

I count them both as my first doll. No real preference, but I think second hand for a first timer would probably be a better way to go though. Just because the dolls in the pictures on the site often don't look exactly like what comes home. Owner pics are usually more true to life and what you see is what you get. :3 Where if one bought a brand new doll from the site but wasn't prepared for the non-shopped, pictures that are made specifically to make you want to throw money at the company to get this doll, one might be in for a little shock or at more of a risk for a bonding issue. Not to mention the wait times for some of them.

Another thing being that sometimes you can get extras with the second hand stuff. :)

20. My first doll was new because I fell in love the the basic sculpt, but my second doll was from marketplace, both of them are lovely ^_^ but the rest of my doll mostly come from aftermarket :sweat since I have to save... I can't buy those brand new... ^___^;

The only risk come from market place was damaged or yellowing issues.