1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New or Second Hand For your First Doll

Oct 18, 2010

1. My first, second and third dolls were new straight from the company but my fourth doll (incoming) is second hand :)

2. My first -and only- doll is a second hand :)

3. Mine was....new. But when I first got into the hobby, I hadn't had much to do with the doll community so I didn't even think about the option. I wouldn't change a thing though...

4. My first doll was used. My second, third and fourth doll new, fifth doll used, sixth doll new.

5. My first bjd is new from Dream of Doll! The wait was long but so worth it! :) I think it's a good idea for your first bjd is to be new because you can receive replacements if your doll is damage in shipping, they will be package very well (seen videos where second hand dolls are package so roughly or just plain bad :(), you have the option to know and choose different face-ups. Also, you can pick out clothes, wig(s), eyes, and shoes all in the same order to receive at the same time and I just love the pretty new shiny silver with red letters box! X3 When you finally have your doll, you know that you are their first and only owner, (if not re-sold of course), which to me makes the bond that much deeper with your bjd.:)

6. I personally don't think it matters. There is something really nice about giving an orphan who wasn't appreciated by his/her former owner a home. I only have a handful of "re-homed" dolls, but I like them just as much as the ones I bought new.
      It's also nice if you have a doll you have never bonded with to know he/she is going somewhere that they will be really wanted.
      :)

7. My first doll is probably going to be firsthand. That being said I have nothing against pre-owned dolls and my favorite doll is actually secondhand. This question is really up to whoever is getting the doll. One person may not want to spend as much on their first doll, it is extremely subjective.

8. My first doll was new and straight from the company. The shipping was a killer, but it was so worth it!
      At that point, I didn't have access to the marketplace here on DoA. But now, to this day, I haven't had a chance to find anything I liked on the second hand on the marketplace yet since I either liked the less popular dolls or the limited ones are marked up so high that I would rather get two dolls since the limiteds weren't particularly 'grail' dolls to me.

9. I actually do not really bother if my first doll is new or not, as long as I fell in love with it at first sight

10. I purchased my first doll from the Junky Spot website, brand new and still in the packaging. I really enjoyed it! But once I have access to the Marketplace (I'm still pretty new here) I hope to look into pre-owned dolls as well.

11. My first doll was new. I think it's better to go new vs. secondhand for your first doll purchase from the standpoint that you get the box opening, and waiting for your doll to arrive is both frustrating and exciting at the same time. It's hard to explain, but buying directly from a company is just a different experience. Not that buying secondhand is bad, it's just as good if not better in certain cases, (less of a wait time, opportunity to get a doll that is no longer available, etc.), but if it's your first doll, I say go directly from a company.

12. I'm planning to buy my first doll totally brand new. As said, there is the wait, the box opening, and..I don't know..the doll you buy from the company was made for you, it's your doll. lol it's really selfish, maybe superficial, but I see it this way!
      Oh and the resin is not yellow yet, you can see your doll "getting old" and accept its yellowing process maybe easier?

13. My first doll was new, and he was a doozy, I paid $500+ for my first doll, who I got with face up AND I got MoC to special Order his fullset outfit for me ((they didn't offer DD fullset at that time.)) However, I also bought him IN-Stock, so He came within a month which was great. My buddy who ordered with me on the same order had to wait quite a few months before getting her she ordered fullset with faceup, she even bought a used too in the meantime at a Convention before getting her first technical doll.

Most of the dolls I buy are used, some in better condition than others. But when I do order new, usually it's on layaway and done by the time I've paid it or its in stock.. the only dolls I've really had to wait for were my floating heads from companies that only put out heads, like ANother Secret and HTTDolls.

14. Originally, I was saving to get a complete, new doll. But, after some thought, that changed.

I'm planning on buying an Abadon head second hand from the Marketplace in the near future, then I'm going to save and buy a Super Senior Delf body for him to go on. Whether the body will be new or second hand, I'm not sure, but it will likely be new since I will be saving to buy clothes, shoes, a wig, and eyes as well.

I originally planned to buy an Abadon new from Luts, but after seeing him as the LE Blue Knight, I think he is so much better suited as an SSDF. But I don't want to wind up buying a new whole doll, then ultimately wind up with a whole body that I may not be using.

So my first doll will be a nice little combination of new and second hand.

15. My first doll was dirrect from Dream of Doll. It was expensive to have it shipped and the wait was long but the peace of mind buying new allowed me was worth it. I knew that if something was wrong I'd be able to contact the company to have it fixed. Also communication was great so honestly the whole experience helped me solidify wanting to be in the hobby. While I have a second doll on order new from Mint on Card I check the market place here everyday looking for a second hand friend to add to my group.
      If I had it to do all over again I would still buy new.

16. I both my first doll in second hand from a swedish bjd-forum. When I met the owner and she wanted me to have a look at the doll, before I made up my mind. The doll was almost like it was directly from the company it was made from, I was so happy and the ex-owner was reeeaaally nice!

17. My first doll was second hand, a Shiwoo. But, after being in the hobby a few years most of my dolls are straight from the company. I only buy second had now if it's a limited doll or it a doll that's been discontinued.

18. My first doll was from the company and I'm going to buy my second doll from the company too. But in fact it doesn't so important for me. If I see a doll and like her I'll buy second hand (but only in an excellent condition :))

19. My first doll was new. I don't often buy second hand unless they're totally awesome or a steal. Two out of my seven are second hand dolls.

20. My first doll was both new and used! :P

Actually, my first doll was a hybrid. So while the body was second-hand, the head I recieved from a different company much later. While I don't have that doll anymore, I find there are pros and cons to both new and second hand, and it all depends on the company and/or the person you buy it from (if second hand), how quickly you want it, and whether you can get that great deal or not.

For me personally, I've bought more new then used dolls, simply because I like to customize from scratch, and hate to have to wipe an existing face-up. But if you like dolls that already have a bit of personality, then used is great.