1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New Popovy "Venus" body

Sep 20, 2020

1. The new Venus body is drop dead gorgeous!! :D I like many of the Popovy face sculpts, but have always found their bodies to be too skinny for my taste. This new body has soft curves and looks healthy, but the proportions and look is still very true to the Popovy sister style^^ Oh I would love to be able to bring home a Popovy doll someday- and would definitely choose this body! I wonder how much the new body is?

2. When the Sisters said they were starting a new trend, I was expecting a lot. Then, I disenchanted when seeing photos of Venus. First, to me, it's nothing new, it's somehow Sandro Botticelli's Venus birth in 3D. Excepted that there is lack of harmony between the rather chubby body and legs and the tube like arms. The legs are more renaissance type yes, but photos show Venus on her toes, which give her some elegance that she is probably loosing with flat feet. Also, the fact that the body has no joint is such a challenge, it brings us back to the early BJD posing so poorly. What to do with such doll ? one can see that none of the photos show us different poses, but always these of Sandra Botticelli or the so called Venus de Milo (Aphrodite in fact). Hard to play with such a doll compared to Marmitesue's hyperarticulated bodies, as well as Pasha's new body, to name the best successful BJD.
      I really do love the previous Popovy body, because it keeps the magic of dolls, not trying to make it look too human.
      My only explanation for such a subit change and recoil back is motivated by the recasts actually on the market, plus the Popovy style wigs now made by more and more artists, plus the eyes etc. The Sisters had to propose something new fast, we were many expecting a boy, would have been great, but it would have taken then too much time to make it. Very honestly, I do not think the plain body will have much success on the long run, may be the one joint one might get some fans.
      The close photos of the skin we saw to day on IG show nothing special in fact, it's the same well known method of using brush-on mat medium sealant with very fine sponge so to give the aspect of human skin, other face up artists have been using this method for some time, I do have one of my doll done this way. It's impressive on close photos, but in real life, and on such small dolls as Popovy or same kind of dolls, it does not make a real difference, excepted the feeling when touching the resin.
      This said, does any one knows if the previous, so successful body, will still be offert ? I really hope so.

#22 Abell, Sep 23, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    3. I like the body, especially the jointless torso. I don´t pose my dolls much, so I can safely go for aesthetics.

As I understood from their Instagram posts, the body will only be offered to VIP customers, whoever those are, and for a limited time? If I got that right, I don´t even need to start thinking about getting one in the near or not so near future.

4. Yes you'r right, the next pre order will be for there VIP clients, which means a "normal" client can't expect to have a doll in hand before vey long, probably end of next year or even further in time, hard to know.

5. I do hope they will eventually offer the unjointed torso as an option for all,
      I love how the eye can travel on the fine detail of the skin and curves..
      xx

100% same point of view! ;)

#25 yatabazah, Sep 24, 2020
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
    6. Oh my goodness! The body comparison photos are coming out :D I am so in love with the size difference and how different she is to the current bodies! She's so elegant AAAAHH~~ :love

Taken from the Popovy Sisters instagram!

[​IMG]

I'm in the camp for the jointed torso Venus body :XD: I love posing my Land¥ so much and I've been so excited to see more photos. These ones are killing me LOL

7. Wow, I love it!

8. Not my test at all, also this is not the plain torso, is it ?
      Venus seems taller, am I wrong ?
      As long as the Sisters keeps making the previous body too, it's fine for me.
      Just for fun : makes me think of an Opera Ballet girl, slim and beautiful, who went to the States for a year, had eaten burgers every day, and here what she see in the mirror when back home :...(

#28 Abell, Sep 26, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    9. i LOVE this silhouette..

10. It's also a matter of culture : mediterranean people like round women, but have they much choice ?

your right :)

#30 Abell, Sep 26, 2020
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
    11. guys, relax, it's a doll.
      We're all influenced by things that inspire us.
      Inevitably, the new carries the old in it.
      I'm just upset by the chipped corner on Venus' stand base. ;)

12. Ouch, I see a whole lot of vitriol here. :sweat I have never owned one of their dolls, because I wasn't a fan of the twiggy body type...although recently I have come to appreciate it a bit more, since after years of collecting I have developed a greater liking for wide variety. Still...maybe I'm wrong, but when they said that they are starting a new trend, I got the feeling that they meant within their own aesthetic - going from super emaciated waif to something with a notably rounded tummy and thighs...pretty much a 180 degree turn. I think that's pretty neat, because rarely does a doll company do such a thing. And if they do not view themselves as artists, then what are they, and what is the point of what they do? I think the body is lovely overall, with waaay too skinny arms, but every artist is allowed their own creativity, and it's not required to match my taste.

I have a doll that cost me over $2.5K, and if my house were burning, I'd save my family and pets and literally not give him a second thought. So yeah, in the end, just a doll...and this is just a hobby. Love it? Buy it. Don't love it? Walk away.

13. I don't think it's culture and things like that. I don't think it has anything to do with what we find appealing in humans most of the time. I mean the default Popovy body is not realistic. If it is, then it is a dangerously thin body. I don't think any 'culture' accepts this necceserily. So why attribute the same to Venus? I wouldn't make any judgement on someone who likes either body. It's just art. It's just a sculpture. It's a doll. Like an illustration, it's an artistic expression. Likewise, maybe we can refrain from making judgements about people's tastes and cultures and dolls 'looking like they went to the states and ate burgers' even in jest this gets into uncomfortable territory, I think

14. Hmm - some interesting opinions here! My hat tip goes to those keeping a cool head!

I would like to theorize that when the Popovy Sisters say this is "a new trend" they might be referring to the content of their own work, not the entire bjd world. It is a new trend for them, if not for others. But I haven't been reading all their posts closely. Maybe they gave the impression they are doing something never seen before in the doll world? If so, that's obviously not accurate and is at least disingenuous of them.

On the other hand - to the people saying the Popovy Sisters "copied" other artists - look, this is a body shape real humans have. It doesn't belong to one artist any more than an hourglass figure does. Why shouldn't they use it if they like it? Personally, I think the new body appears a bit unbalanced because the bust and arms are still quite narrow. But it certainly isn't more unrealistic than the old body.

However, what the new body is NOT is "fat" (by any stretch of imagination) so I'm with @Datsuki that jokes and comments about the new body being "fat/ugly/etc." are a bad idea even if not intended to offend.

15. --Mod Note--

Some posts have been removed from this thread.

Drama is not allowed on DoA.

"Copying" is only an issue on DoA if it involves recasting.

Of course you may discuss if a doll does not suit your tastes, but using DoA discussion threads to complain at length about why you don't like something is not appropriate.

Please remember, DoA's #1 Rule is "Be Nice."

16. Reading all this I cannot help thinking "what`s the point anyway since only a selected few will be able to buy this body" ;) Even if you have the money, no VIP, no Venus. But seriously, I hope they will make the body available to the ordinary buyers at some point, since I really like it.

17. :aeyepop:

#37 Abell, Sep 27, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    18. Didn't they say that this body will be available but with a jointed torso?
      I could be wrong, but I think only the solid torso was made in a few examples and will be made available to their most loyal customers.

19. From what I get from their insta - both version will be available in catalogue but there will be a "super limited full set no joint torso" as well.

20. Well, if that´s the case, that would be good :) One torso joint is something I can live with!