1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

No-Buy, Low-Buy?

Aug 2, 2018

1. I'd say I'm on no-buy for dolls, not sure about clothes and accessories and such though! Then again, gotta start from scratch with wigs and shoes and eyes and things.

With the dolls, it's a matter of room. My apartment's not huge; two MSDs is pushing its limits. I certainly have nowhere to display them. (The off-topic dolls took up one of the few available spots, but it's in the sunshine anyways so...) Besides, I haven't seen any as immediately "Holy crap, I love those!" as the current two, which is now my standard for whether I'll let myself consider buying a doll. So for now, only casually looking at dolls and putting my effort into working on mine.

With clothes/wigs/etc, I'm just focused on getting the two of them set up for now! Once I've got some stuff I can't really make myself, I'll probably shift into trying to make things on my own. Work on my sewing skills, use up the random balls of yarn filling my stash. Hopefully I can work on destashing some fabric and yarn, because my storage for those is full!

2. I think I'm pretty good with the resin I have actually, so I don't really feel the urge to buy more.

But there are tons of other stuff I am eyeing on the crafting front!

3. I never did, but I am planning to! I've noticed that I am more stressed about having any more dolls now that I have around 10, and I think my ideal number is around 15. So now on it is only very specific OC dolls that I want to buy dolls for. There are only 2 more, all the other dolls are already ordered or booked with the artist. Sometimes I feel anxious about the fact that I only get to pick one female and one male more, and I need to pass on all the pretty future dolls in this era when everyone is sculpting something!

4. I am currently in a reeeally low-buy situation because I am also saving up for important stuff. So, I can only invest low amount in hobbies. I promised myself too that I won't get more than four dolls. Either I will buy another one until the previous dolls are completed.

5. I'm pretty much always Low Buy as I'm lucky if I get a new doll every year lol I just can't afford to keep up with most people in this hobby. I need to know where some of y'all work so I can get a job there too!

6. @M_Kun009 I simply graduated and got a job other than the scholarship lol :D Still, I don't own super expensie dolls, just average/slightly below the average (considering their price vs size ratio). Anyway, it's not about the quantity but quality, so perhaps your one doll a year means three dolls for someone else for the same money. Like everything in the hobby, this also depends on many things. I hope you're happy with every doll even if it's one doll per year "only" <3

That being said, yes, I'd say I'm no buy-high sell. I decided to declutter a lot and not just my bjds, but my barbies too. I now look at my collection and like it a lot more. It has a lot more of those dolls I looove and not just 'I guess I kinda like". My current crew still needs some refining/trimming but I'm doing fine and having my share of fun. I noticed I like having fewer also because I don't like it when one doll gets all the attention and other get none. So, when I dress them up, I always want to make sure that none of them "feels" unfairly treated and dressed worse than the other ones. However, since I sold many of my dolly clothes, I have barely few to clothe my dolls. So, the fewer resin butts I have to clothe, the prettier each of them is dressed lol :D

But I got to say, I am really happy. I think I'd been low-key addicted to purchasing new items and always having something in the mail/checking the tracking number etc. Now I try to prolong the 'nothing in transit' moments and order things only when I really, really need them (so particular craft supplies to finish up some projects or particular type of dolly shoes I'd been looking forward to buying for ages).

Often, I also upgrade and exchange things. E.g. recently I bought a pair of shoes (and yes, I'd promised myself no more of these) but they were super similar (and even better!) than a pair I'd wanted to buy when the seller informed me that it's sold out. However, I have another pair among my current doolly shoe collection that I should part with as soon as this one arrives. Kind of 'one in-one out' rule, except for that I like to go by "one in - as many as possible out" lol :D

And now I look at my decluttered collection (the topic on 'refining it has inspired me) and I love it soo much more :D I don't need other dolls when those I have make me so happy ;)

7. I went through a several year stint of no/low-buying. I'd get maybe 1 doll a year plus an outfit, wig, and eyes, then promptly stick them in my dolly cabinet and not touch them again. Recently I've gotten into a high buying period, but that's because I finally decided to do a big declutter on the dolls I wasn't interested in anymore and transition over to fleshing out the projects that I actually enjoy. It's amazing how many doll funds come rolling in when you decide to sell half your collection on a whim!

8. Nope. I mainly do layaways. (Stretch out the payments, and helps with the wait time tbh.) So if I see it and have the down ill get it.
      The time in-between the layaways is my 'no pay' period I guess cause I go through period where there just is not any sculpts that jump up and yell 'buy me.' (Im thankfully very picky, despite having little impulse control.)

I probably should do a no pay for a few months though. I recently threw my entire bank account and my kidney at dollchateau and have four new dollies coming in that will all need outfits sewn and faces painted. :D And I wanna focus on them for a while rather than worrying about new anything. D:

9. I am still waiting on two dolls to arrive. One is from a preorder from December, and the other has been stuck in customs. I just bought several dolls, and I am iffy on the last two I got. I am not really feeling them and debating on selling them. After this though I am going on a no buy, because we want to move, and I don't want to have to move even more dolls than what I already have.

10. I don't know if I well answer but as I'm difficult in my choices of dolls, I don't buy news dolls often (after all, 2 off dolls topic last year and one petdoll this year... :sweat) but I wish to take care the ones I already have. And, I think, we appreciated more your new dolls when they are rares.

11. I’m currently on a resin low buy stint, I have a small list of acceptable purchases if they pop up for sale, but I just headed back to school and have severely decreased my fun money leaving my doll hobby savings stagnated :sorry It was a tad depressing to decide but it’s only for a short time and I can focus on improving my face up and wig making skills :lol:

12. Everytime I tell myself to do a no buy for awhile and focus on my girls getting them dressed and completed then a doll I have wanted for awhile shows up. Then it all goes out the window.

13. I safely finished the 1st Q with no resin doll purchases, no OT doll buys (Sorry Ellowyne) but I did do one small goodies order...shoes (for a hard to fit doll), 1 wig and some Shine Pearl. Going for a full ‘don’t buy any doll things at all’ streak for Q2. Please wish me good luck! :clover