1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobility Doll - Edward Moon

Jul 20, 2010

1. This. Just this.

2. I could definitely see a Vampire Hunter D look with this sculpt. He has the right proportions as well to take on the flair of the character. :) I like the body quite a bit, but have no more room for unplanned dolls in the house.

3. XD this is hystarical. points for nobilitydoll for being so cliche that it made me laugh. :lol:

4. To the third degree.

5. Oh god... It's...It's... HORRIBLE! I'm not a fan of twilight, so this is horrible. Don't associate it with Bjd's! Now a bunch of rabid teen girls are going to be flocking in, breaking joints, and other horrific things! Nobility, i love your dolls, but I have lost respect for you. If a lawyer or Sunrise person finds this, this company is screwed...Or at least those twilight themed dolls...

6. beabasourus-rex, you're a bit too late ;) There are already Twilight inspired BJDs on the forum, but Nobility Doll seems to be the first to make and market an inspired BJD as a company, and guess what? No influx of ignorant fangirls who are interested in Twilight first and foremost and BJDs second. The Twilight craze began a while ago...yet the hobby is still intact! There's no need to panic!

Please let us remember that accusations of copying or copywright infringement do stick and that memories are very long in this hobby. Before you outrightly accuse a company of theft, be it physical theft or intellectual theft, consider first that perhaps this is a homage to Twilight and Twilight fans. Companies do their market research, they know what's currently popular and what isn't. Why wouldn't they create a vampire styled BJD when vampires are popular? Why wouldn't they create a werewolf styled BJD when werewolves are popular? Even in the BJD hobby, fantasy dolls are very popular and sell very well; a vampire and a werewolf in an already big fantasy doll market are hardly outrageous. Just a few things to consider from someone who is a neutral party.

7. I agree fully there but minimees steal copyrighted and uncopyrighted characters all the time X.x

8. See... THIS is where I was living when I looked at him. "Someone was a bit late for that gravy train, eh?" I was giggling madly at the whole presentation.

It's a shame, too, because the doll is actually quite lovely in and of itself, and I really want to see blank pictures of him and/or owner pics when someone buys him. I see so much potential there.

I know the feeling... *sigh* and what's worse? It doesn't seem to stop me.

9. Uh, yeah. That's exactly what I said a few posts later.

Because they didn't. They dit create a Twilight vampire BJD, not their own vampire BJD. A ton of company did their own, it's not hard. Not them.
      That's why I'm sad, Nobility creators are talented, they have great sculptors, they have everything. They don't need to do this. ;_;

10. I just have to wonder if MNM's limit their runs to avoid/limit legal liability, instead of production issues. I know from applying for artist alleys at anime conventions, they have limits on the number of copies of each piece of fanart you are allowed to bring to sell, set by lawyers the conventions have consulted with. It may be that there's a legal limit to what can be produced without being prosecuted.

Stephany Meyers may allow and encourage fanart and fiction, but that is very, very different than a company mass producing very expensive items thatare very clearly created from her intellectual property. Just because lots of retailers on ebay get away with it, doesn't mean that ND cannot be prosecuted for it.

And as a personal note, late to the party much? There's only one movie left before every one forgets about Twilight, lol. And speaking of Asian counties being like, lols whatev to copyright/TM laws, I saw a news story on an entire theme park that was "not quite Disney" in China. The pictures were hilarious.

11. I can't believe I saw the announcement and was like "psh, looks like Twilight. Oh there's a wolf-guy too?? Hmm I wonder what he will look like??? *hope*"

DER! He'll look like Jacob! :doh

But to be honest, I have a wolfy character that Chrom just doesn't work for and I haven't seen other mature SD size lads in the running…maybe this will be the doll I'm waiting for? I won't hold the whole "Twilight" thing against him if he's a good sculpt and has wolfy features :)

12. Oh dear. . . I guess I'm in trouble then. Pretty much all I have are Minimees. :P

On the other hand, name aside, I see almost nothing of Edward in him. In the PM exchange that landed in my inbox I have to agree that he has more potential for Spock or D than Edward. Although I wish the outfit were for a slightly taller doll. Kenpachi would look awesome in it. Hmm, but then there's the whole Minimee thing. . . Guess I'd better not think about sewing a shihakusho to put in the MP, huh.

I'm just happy to see a man's face on the man's body. Seeing a chubby-cheeked teen's face on a body that belongs to a man gets annoying after a while. Particularly among the companies that won't sell the bodies separately.

Aw man. . . I guess I'm not good enough as an artist for people to want to steal my work. Now I'm really depressed. . . . :...(

13. ...He does kinda look like D! I didn't see it in him before. To be honest I kinda blew him off after I made the whole Twilight connection.

I guess it would have been nice if they hadn't made the resemblance so obvious and given this doll a fighting chance with non-Twilight fans...

14. ummmm...wow..just wow. He doesnt look anything like edward though Oo Edward looks like a foot but his face is all pointy.

15. That is correct. When DiM was contacted by doll fans about possible infringements and legal issues, that was when they imposed the limit on how many heads of any celebrity and to what degree of realism they would create. So DiM is aware they could have issues and they do their best to stay under the radar.

I think it is a big risk for Nobility to take. If someone (not even someone who is a member of this forum or even a BJD person) finds this they could easily post it on a Twilight fan board and it could get back to the author. Or even worse it could get back to the film/distribution company and the lawyers who hammer out licensing contracts. If they expect money from McDonald's Happy Meal toys and action figures you can bet they'd want their chunk of change for this giant expensive doll too.

These are some rabid and protective fans, perhaps even moreso than BJD collectors, I wish Nobility luck if they decide to stick with it. Risky.

16. I'd be curious to see what this doll might look like with a completely non-Edward Twilight-esque face-up and wig. He might make a pretty elf! I'd like to see the sculpt blank -- it looks interesting once you get past the company's styling, somewhat different than Nobility's other dolls.

17. I about died looking at it myself. That bird's nest hairstyle looks awful on the actor and it looks awful on a doll. It reminds me of the freebie wig I got with my first doll that I affectionately call the Brillo-pad.

I kinda blew him off too. I realize that I'm biased against the doll because I don't like Twilight, but I would never buy him. I just couldn't handle looking at it in my room. Even done up completely different, I'd have trouble getting over the obvious original intent and the fact that anyone who then saw my doll would go, "Oh, you got the Twilight doll!"

While it may be a shrewd move given the series' current popularity, to me it just feels like the company is trying to cash in on the trend to make money. Of course, all the companies are interested in making a profit and they have that right, but this just feels too blatant. With any luck they've guessed right and this will help them and not hurt them, but they aren't going to be able to sell me on him.

18. I agree they're trying to cash in on the trend, but he doesn't look like Robert Pattinson and the wig is not his hair. I don't think the franchise is at risk from fangirls swooping down on this guy. I think they'd simply sniff in disgust and turn away. I don't know that even Tonner did that well out of their Twilight dolls. Of course Tonner imitations have a 50% chance of actually resembling the actor they're meant to portray, less if they're female.

I'm always amused when companies try to make images of actors. Sometimes they're good, other times I think the actor would have a hang-up for life if they saw their facsimile.

19. After my correspondence with Nobilitydoll(not recently or about this doll) I was under the impression the company was just one person(possibly a second to run the website). I spoke directly with the sculptor in emails.

I think they don't move a whole lot of dolls, but the sculptor seemed very earnest to me. I don't think they're necessarily trying to cash in on something, but producing something that's popular and that people will enjoy, and something the sculptor is interested in making. It's up to other people if they want to lose respect for a company based on what you deem 'copying' or association with a brand you may not like, but I think this is pretty petty to condemn this company for something plenty of other companies have done :)

20. Well the Tonner doll company already has claim to making their 17inch dolls from the Twilight movies and he has the actors permission to use their likeness for his dolls. I think BJD's are safe and not too well known amoung the Fashion Doll collectors out there. Price for our lovlies are a huge factor.