1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobility Doll - Edward Moon

Jul 20, 2010

1. I think it's probably in line with those cheap, bagged Halloween costumes. You can obviously tell what popular movies they are referencing, but in general they are "generic" enough to not be considered the same product. These costumes are sold in massive Halloween stores every season and obviously don't have a problem with copyright issues--and that's right here in the United States, not in China/Korea where the whole copyright law thing is basically a joke.

Take this "Sexy Wizard Schoolgirl" for example. Duh, it's Harry Potter! But is it technically reproducing licensed material from the trademarked Harry Potter franchise? Nope.

2. :)Ooo... This guy is sooo much hotter than the actual Edward Cullen. <3

3. Eh. Generic non-branded products "inspired" by branded products have been around for ages, and rarely are they grounds for a legal dispute. It happens often in the world of expensive collectible dolls - for example, the 1/6 doll company Triad Toys does this quite a lot, with doll and outfit designs "inspired" by Alice from Resident Evil, Major Kusanagi from GITS, whoever this is supposed to be (it's apparently a famous G.I. Joe character), and more from obscurer games/movies. As 1/6 products, those cost less than BJDs, but since they're sold by the hundreds, the company probably made more from any one of them than Nobility will ever make from Edward Moon. On top of that, as a Western company who produces 1/6 dolls, they're closer to being in the eye of the companies who create the films they use than an obscure Asian producer of 1/3-scale dolls for a limited market is. In spite of all this, no legal action has been taken, because in all the above cases and in this one too it's not enough to go legal.

Twilight is more popular than the franchises mentioned above, but this doesn't mean Nobility is more likely to get in trouble, it just means there will be more indignant fans saying something should be done. None of it changes the fact that this doll is pretty clearly not a copyright violation. Er, that being said, though it's not illegal I am rather disappointed that they presented the doll in such a way, since he looks kind of weird like that and I doubt it's going to give them the market boost they expect.

I'm expecting it to start cooing and shuffling off his scalp in search of quadrotriticale any second now :lol:

4. Barenless is Baroness based off last summer's live-action Gi-Joe movie.

I think the wig could double as Tribble XD;

Personally, I am just surprised since I didn't know there was such a huge crossover between Twilight fans and BJD fans to make it worth while to do a doll inspired by Twilight unless the sculptor at Nobility happens to be a fan.

On the issue of copyright and doujinshika, all the mangaka know about doujinshi and many got their start there and/or still do books on the side. Most doujinshika are a losing proposition, between paying for a space at events and paying for publishing you're not going to even make a profit. However there are exceptions and there are circles that make money doing it. I remember a few years back one popular circle got into some legal trouble, not over copyright but over taxes she was not paying on her profits which were quite substantial.

While I am semi-surprised that Twilight was picked, I've seen a lot of BJD goods heavily inspired by video games and anime in the past. When I first started collecting Dollmore had a mini dress that was very inspired by the Clamp version of Sakura's school uniform and more recently Buddydoll had a uniform that looked very close to the Ashford girl's school uniform except the colors had been changed.

5. that must have sold out pretty fast :b

6. LOL OMG I can't believe you referenced Tribbles. I love you!

Ok, When I saw 'Edward Moon' and 'Wolfman J', I actually got really happy. Not because I'm a twilight fan, but because of the silliness I find imbedded in Twilight fandom. They're soooo serious! It's hilarious. They are nice sculpts thou, and their relationship to Twilight will always bring a smile to my face ^_^ I hope someone gets them.

Oh, and shadow-stabbing I don't think they've been released yet, so I'm sure they show as 'sold out' because this is just the 'teaser' time period.

7. I knew I could find this link...this isn't the first time something akin to this has been on the group, although admittedly, the likeness here is more thematic than anything else...

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...tion-quot-Wizard-Kids-quot-Cherish&#9733;Doll

So I don't know if anyone remembers, and I can't find them on my admittedly short search of the Cherish Doll site, but the curly-head boy actually also had a lightning bolt in the middle of his forehead on the pictures at their site, LOL! Plus the Potter book in the background, it was a little much for me at the time, so it stuck in my memory.

.hlp

8. Too good I never watched any Twillight, so I just can look at them as new molds.

I have to say there both simply AMAZING! WOW at Nobility's sculpting skills. I see in wolfsman native american guy (yeeess please <3 <3 <3) and in Edward some aristocrate with magic skills of some kind...
      There both unique and I hope on more variety of such adult mens faces in the BJD world <3

9. The sculpts are really nice. They have not posted the price yet so.... I am aprehensive. I checked out the layaway and it would not work for me!
      I would like a better layaway plan and would like to see nude pics of the doll and posability of the body.
      They did a nice job but, I dont think this would work for me.
      I wish Nobility luck.

10. I just wish I hadn't noticed the "VHD" potential as soon as I saw the first guy. Now it's going to be gnawing at my subconscious...

But I have a tribble-wig or two lurking in the house already; I'll pass on that ;)

11. Huh, I hadn't thought about that....but there reallly aren't any other native american-looking sculpts! Dang...this is pretty amazing!

12. I think their faces are really nice! Especially the Wolfman. The bodies though... meeh not so much. The limbs are to square looking for me.

And about the whole Twilight issue, I don't think this is any different from when DoD did Last Exile "tributes". No one said anything then. Probably because Last Exile is not as famous.
      http://www.dreamofdoll.com/eng/prod...Order_Name=p_num&Order_Type=Desc&Order_Num=16
      And the character from Last Exile
      http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=...a=N&rls=org.mozilla:sv-SE:official&tbs=isch:1
      Delphine here also has the same name as the character from Last Exile. So Nobility doll is just doing the same thing as Dream of Doll did.

13. Both dolls are now on sale, and at a 10% discount. :)

14. Wow, Wolf Man J looks so much like my ex it's scary. I also don't think he looks native American at all, which is actually very disappointing to me. And I can't quite tell--does he have pointy ears under that wig?

If we're sharing copyright infringement, how about Domuya's Warcrafty characters?
      http://domuya.net/d1flexi-perennial-divon-bishop-featured-in-dirge-of-glory-p-686.html?cPath=73_86

Obviously based off Kael'Thas Sunstrider...
      http://www.wowwiki.com/Kael%27thas_Sunstrider

And the staff the doll is holding:
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=32344
      "Staff of Immaculate Recovery"
      Figureprints couldn't have made a better reproduction in the game than Domuya! Though I'm sure Blizzard didn't raise even a ridiculously long elvish eyebrow when he was released...

15. *head desk*
      I thought I was safe here...safe from Twilight...here in my little doll world....

And apparently, I was wrong.

I really dislike Twilight. A lot. Too much. Almost to the point of hate. I think it's an awfully written book, the research she did was lax, the movie was just terrible, and the character designs were bland. But that's just my humble opinion. I know there are lots of fans of the series and they are entitled to their own opinions, as I am entitled to mine.

HOWEVER. Although I strongly despise the series, I do think that this was really wrong of Nobility. If we all freaked out about Dollmore Kuroshitsuji dress knock-off (as well as other anime outfits they copied), then we should definitely be freaking out over this. I think they could get in trouble, even if they don't state it's Twilight or the characters associated with it. It's OBVIOUSLY Edward and Jacob. And I think everyone doesn't need a logo to see that.

I think it's sad companies are trying to take advantages of crazes to sell their dolls. Soon we'll be seeing Justin Bieber ones...=_=;. BJDs are an art to me, and I don't want pop culture to bury it's ugly claws into them.

16. I like the bodies - wish I could find more/better pictures of them. Also, wish that they were 5-8cm shorter...

17. This, this 100%. I don't think I could have worded it better if I wanted to. Edward Moon? Edward? Yeah at least try and be a bit subtle yeah?

Siiigh. There goes my corner of the world so to speak :'(

18. Agreed! The bodies actually look pretty great. I could care less about the twilight thing, and am not really enthused by either of the head sculpts, but I see hybrid potential!

19. Agreed times three. Wish they were shorter, but do love the body detail.

20. Except that what is legal and what is obvious aren't, again, the same thing. If it was, we wouldn't have the Harry Potter outfit pictured above, the 'Barenless' costume for dolls, or a number of other products. Also, not everybody freaked out over those things. A few very vocal people screamed to the high heavens, but it's a tempest in a teapot until someone actually does the legal legwork and sees if this is legit or not, and that only ever really happens at the end of a court case, which hasn't, to the best of anyone's knowledge, even been started yet over any of these items.

...Aery Soul piece:
      http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=61400&Start=31&vendor=43825
      http://domuya.net/d1flexi-perennial-aeslin-knight-featured-in-dirge-of-glory-p-707.html?cPath=73_86

I got to see the other side of the stink when that was found -- adding the credit was enough to resolve it, so far as I know, but again... this is not uncommon. It's just not.