1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobility Doll - Edward Moon

Jul 20, 2010

1. This is both odd and hilarious! Though even if I was into Twilight I doubt I'd be tempted.

2. Necroish, but there are no such thing as necros on den of angels some sad news for people who actually liked the sculpts for these guys, ~Twilight associated~ or not.

I, for one, am really disappointed. When there are much, much worse cases of ~plagiarism~ gong on in the doll hobby unpunished, I do honestly think that these guys were generic enough not to warrant getting pulled, despite the blatant and derpy Twilight allusions. I freaking loved Edward's face, and was hoping to buy him in the distant future. He was like a more manly and human-looking '07 Juri A. :<

3. No surprise, really. Nobility doll could learn a thing or two about selling pretty and somehow very familiar faces from iplehouse and Soom: don't be so freakin' obvious. :doh

4. I'm surprised they didn't just "repackage" the dolls to be named and styled differently so as not to allude to Twilight. Lots of companies have made vampires and wolfmen without issue.

Maybe they got a cease and desist from the International Licensing company who handles the global franchise. That's the only reason I can think of as to why they'd have to pull them entirely.

5. I find it seriously disappointing also. There is not much of a chance that an actual court case was brought and decided in this space of time -- hopefully it will not be 'decided' here on the forum that this was a legitimate case of confirmed infringement, since, again, I strongly doubt any court case went through on this and that's what is actually required for that claim to be valid.

Threats were probably made that one would be brought that would bankrupt the small company to defend itself from the much larger one, which is pretty often how these things go -- the actual right or wrong never becomes a part of the equation, only 'what we claim' and 'what you can't afford' do.

I'd bet if they released these sculpts in NS with different faceups, names, and no pine trees, no one would ever make the connection.

Edit: idrisfynn, that's pretty much what I'd guess on it, too. Defending against it would cost more than they'd ever make from those dolls anyway.

6. Wow! Saw that coming. ^^ Anybody who stepped in quick & snapped up one of these guys, between their release-date & today, could have quite a rarity on their hands.

7. You are dealing with a giant international media corporation plus a giant international toy corporation which outsources a lot of the toys to China for manufacturing. You really do not want your own government coming to pound on your door and ask "why are you annoying MegaTel?" That, more than anything, is probably what the "issues" are.

8. The key word they use here is inspired. Like Dollmore stated the designer was inspired by Kuroshitsuji. And if so to copyright ability everytime a company or someone on eBay sold a cosplay outfit they would owe the original company a penny. Heck, the happy birthday song is still under copyright law. But if Nobility doll felt for the safety and stability of their company to pull the dolls off I don't say to blame them after reactions from their patron buyers.

9. I agree with the repackaging comments, or even offering
      him as just a head or basic. Remove the name/hair/clothes
      etc. Honestly the sculpt barely looks anything like "Edward"
      and if they didn't try so hard to give it the association they
      would still be selling him. Oh well, congrats to anyone who
      managed to buy him.

10. Well, there have been numerous MNM GO's for the main characters/actors. And I've seen plenty
      of DOA members finding their own sculpts to be the Twilight characters.

11. They would probably refund the money rather than produce the doll.

I agree, I saw nothing of Edward in the sculpt. He would have made a far better Vampire Hunter D. Who knows, if they approached the author they could maybe come to an agreement to produce an official doll of D.

12. Im sad too, I really liked Edward mold but Im not into Twillight (or to be honest I cant stand it XD),
      however I wrote them as answer to their email that they dont gonna produce the dolls:

Hi!

Its sad you dont produce the dolls :(.
      I love their mature faces, but I dont like Twillight and they dont looked like Edward or Jacob for me, I liked them for their sculpts.

Maybe you can release similar dolls with no connection to any film?

I think many people liked them as their own and not because of the similarity.

I hope you make more adult and realistic looking dolls in the future!

Sincerely, Azraelita

I honestly believe Nobility has great sculpting skills after seeing these two, they just seem lacking ideas?

I really wish they could rerelease Edward unter another name, or make similar mature looking males :aheartbea

13. indeed, i don't see the facial features of the doll resemblance to Edward, it's more a unidoll style doll

14. I think they might have had some warning by the International Licensing company. I noticed while on their site, that they literally took the artwork from a movie poster to use it as the background for one of their dolls. I wrote to them about it saying it wasn't cool to take someone's else's work. I don't know if that caused them to worry and freak out about copyright. I never did mention the Twilight inspired dolls...

To be honest it was the first time I went on the Nobility doll website. When I saw that I was rather disappointed and didn't feel like continue checking their dolls. -_-

15. I really hope, for the people who liked the sculpts, that they will keep the dolls sculpts and resell them as other characters/fullsets.
      To not keep them as they are presented now is a wise decision. But Nobility artists are talented, I trust them for making something new.

16. I can't find the pics anywhere. Were they removed from the site??? Dying to see!!!! :...(

17. I think there are still some up on BJDcollectasy.com that they have in their article about the sculpts' removal :)

18. Lolol, I am amused.
      Didn't think production would actually be canceled, but I was waiting for Twilight to barge in with lawsuits and such.
      Of course, there's much more copyright stuff going on in this hobby, but Twilight has an immense fanbase and thus an immense amount of merchandise. The more popular something is, the more they will enforce copyright.

19. Thing is, they could not really have had a court case in this amount of time. It would be a matter of threatening a lawsuit that I doubt most doll companies can easily afford, not actual confirmed infringement. There really is a difference.

A company like Summit can say, "We think you're being naughty. We want you to stop. We're going to take you to court if you don't, and it is going to cost you a fortune and keep your business tied up in that mess for a long time. Wouldn't you rather just stop making that?" and usually, the thing will stop getting made. They have the power to ruin a small company, even if that company is wholly within the law, with the cost of defending themselves within the legal system alone, they know it, and I strongly doubt they will hesitate for an instant to exercise that power if they think it will get them what they want, whether what they want is reasonable or not, because that part? Doesn't actually matter.

Ironic, isn't it? In all the 'righteous' hand-wringing over right and wrong in this thread, and what should or shouldn't be done, I don't see a lot of concern over that -- and it's something I consider pretty wrong if not downright horrifying.

20. HMMMM.... i have to say that I would buy wolf man Jacob. See the problem is that whoever came up with the idea of this doll did not think it all the way through, I'm sure if they had named Edward blood sucker and Jacob something different they would not have to withdraw the dolls... bring them back change the name.