1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Non Fantasy Dolls vs Fantasy Dolls

Nov 13, 2017

1. I have a strong preference for fantasy dolls. I have 15 fantasy dolls with visible fantasy parts, 2 human dolls that are supernatural characters (one is a vampire and the other is a magical being in human form), 2 Kuroshitsuji character dolls that are supernatural beings, and 1 human doll that is actually human. I love pointed ear heads so much, I just think they are so majestic and interesting!

2. I prefer non fantasy dolls. I have Ender from soom and I choose human body for him. All my other dolls are also human :P

3. I think a couple others have the same thing of we have human sculpts with non human characters? Like Sparrow here in my pfp is a vampire of sorts so has a human sculpt (or demon sculpt, technically speaking??? Since he's a ringdoll lucifer??? I dunno :?) But I also relate massively to haruchaan. I'd love a fantasy doll, I really would but just actually committing to finishing one? I don't think I could.

4. I have about equal numbers of both in my crew, and each type has its own attractions... I can't say I really prefer one over the other.

5. I have only human ones now but I like looking at fantasy dolls, they're always so fascinating. I've owned a several SOOM ones before but they never stayed. I have the means of making a hybrid fantasy doll as I have some fantasy parts tucked away in a closet but I'm still debating if I want to go down that road.

6. This is a hard question for me, as only one of my dolls was explicitly sculpted as a fantasy character, and I generally am not a fan of fantasy or anthro sculpts, but many of my dolls aren't quite human.

Despite thinking of my dolls as not quite human, I also don't like describing my dolls as fantasy characters. I am far more interested in creating a universe which examines the question of whether "any sufficiently advanced technology [can be] indistinguishable from magic."

So my LLT Roderich/Granado Female Nuevo Suri explores the boundary of powers and godliness, my Dollshe Amanda/Limhwa Anu examines if scientific knowledge can be mistaken for witchcraft and magic, my SimplyDivine Harlequin Arial requires determining the boundary between human and the supernatural (townspeople think she's fae), and my Dollshe Arsene/Dollstown 17 Secernere asks whether certain remarkable abilities (that an human, educated in a certain way from birth could exhibit) constitute a superpower.

I think leaving the door open to magic and the supernatural is more interesting than arguing definitively one way or another.

7. I have only one fantasy doll, a vampire with fangs and pointed ears. The rest are human, though one of them is a magic user with some nonhuman ancestry (it only shows in his hair and eye color). I plan on shelling more characters from the story he belongs to, and they all use magic but are all pretty much human.

I like to look at fantasy dolls, but I have to admit I'm not very interested in owning one, especially not with super-elaborate parts. It's just too intimidating for my clumsy self. XD

8. Good question. I'd always thought I'd prefer humans, but I have two elf-eared dolls that I might choose to be the doll to represent oneof my original characters.

9. It really depends a bit on your definition of "fantasy."

I have 10 elves, 17 other fantasy sculpts, and 17 "humans." But those "humans" include magic users, demigods, and ghosts, so they're still very much not grounded in reality (of the 17, only 4 are "mundane humans" with no supernatural skills of any sort). My tastes clearly run to the fantastic, even when visually they may appear more human.

10. Out of all of my dolls (I own 46), only 1 considers himself human. That is a bit dicey though as a couple of generations back in his ancestry there's Grigori (angels who were sent to Earth to watch humans). Everybody else? Some flavour of Otherworldly although quite a few appear to be human physically. Others, there's no doubting they are not human as they have hooves or tails or horns or fangs or weird skin colours. I prefer fantasy characters as that is my genre of writing and all my dolls are characters from my novels.

11. The majority of my characters are elves so elf ears are nice, though I do have a fair amount of elf ear mods to get to eventually. A few of my characters have specific fantasy traits and it's very difficult to find one doll that fits them all.

12. Most of the dolls I have on my wish list are human except for one, but I tend to like the centaurs best. I have seen a few dragons as well that are just adorable. And putting cat ears on anything makes it way cuter. >.<

13. I'm a total sucker for fantasy sculpts. I'm usually only interested in a human sculpt if there is something really special about it to me.

14. I have one tiny with elf ears and one floating head with elf ears and vampire teeth, but that's it. I prefer human sculpts, for sure.

15. I love fantasy dolls, but most of mine were sculpted to be human. That doesn't stop me from making them into weird fantasy creatures anyway. ;)

16. I love human form dolls and never thought i would love to own any before, until fairyland start actcully producing fantasy parts doll lately felt in love with fairyland fantasy parts, so i started collecting them , i have 4 fantasy dolls.

17. Fantasy dolls look fun, but I tend to go towards extremes with my characters- they're either totally human in design or totally anthro. I don't often blend them. Still, in my desire to put a finger in every pie, I might get one eventually.

18. I like different dolls. In first I see on face (sculpt). And elf ears, tails, horns etc. are second reason my love to bjd.

19. I have 13 dolls with 2 more on the way. My dolls are mostly human, but I also have 3 who are elves (2 Minifees and 1 Littlefee). I collect mostly SD size dolls and so far none of my SDs are fantasy characters.

That is about to change however. The 2 dolls on layaway will be characters from Final Fantasy VII. They aren't fantasy dolls in the traditional sense, though one is going to be the character Yazoo, who is technically non-human.
      I would definitely be open to more fantasy dolls, such as elves and vampires.

20. I wouldn't be interested in BJD if it were not for fantasy sculpts. I do have a few human dolls anyway, but I perceive them as living in the same world as my fantasy dolls.