1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Not anatomically correct...

Nov 27, 2009

1. I agree on several of these.

The (few) centaur models I have seen bother me, but I feel like it's because they've made a hip joint out of a shoulder joint. There needs to be more space before the uppermost part of a horse's leg bends. Horses have shoulder blades and such on their forelegs. A lot of centaurs make both sets like hind quarters, or worse, make the front legs bend like stretched human legs. I still think they look awesome to see people photograph, but having grown up on a horse farm, that gets to me.

In the case of my large-bust minifee girl, there's not much I whine about. She needs a bit more gut so she won't always look like she's holding it in, and I wish her nipples pointed a little more outward than they do, but on boob size? They're "weighted" well and I'm nearly the same proportion naturally, so I can't complain too much. X.x

A little more accuracy in the penis would be nice too. I've thought of modding my boy's to be more clear ... just since I think my sweetheart pities him quite often. They have it at rest, but without the folds that would appear and the testes have virtually no definition other than being the bottom of the hip piece. I always feel like it's set too low as well. At least Soom did give him a slightly defined circumcision.

2. So true, so true! My doll's body has this issue.

I like stylized dolls. However, as others have said, it's a matter of balance/design to make a stylized figure appear elegant instead of just awkward. I'm usually bothered when it's a doll that is mostly realistic but has a few areas that are off - for example, Soom's improportionately thin arms, wide chest, and long neck bother me because Soom's style can be pretty close to realism. On the other hand, Luts' big-headed leggy dolls don't bother me because the faces are stylized - so the whole packages fits together for me.

But even among stylized dolls, some proportion issues bother me. I love Rosette School's super-elongated bodies, but I don't like Feeple's super-elongated bodies. Both are equally unrealistic, but I feel Rosette integrates it really well so I'm thinking "she's like a shoujo drawing come to life" whereas with the Feeple I just have the impression of a distorted/deformed figure.

Anyway, my various pet peeves:

-too long thigh (hello, Dollshe)
      -too long upper arm or lower arm (Crobidoll)
      -too much veining and/or "shallow" muscle detail - i.e., when the sculptor piles on details but they look like they in the wrong place (or are entirely made up); by "shallow" I mean that they are only surface without connection to deeper structure, so that they break up form insteading of describing form
      -weird abs: too many, too high, too sharp, and/or too rectangular
      -cylinder limbs
      -bar fingers - I realize this makes it easier to sand between and easier to fit rings, but if you spread your fingers they ray out, they don't turn into equidistant fenceposts D:
      -attack of the extremely prominent nipples!

I don't care for anatomically correct male genetalia though. It's such a pain getting into pants. My doll has a hint of testes and there's really not room for this, he's very thick all around already. -_-; I'd have been alright if they just stamped PRETEND A PENIS IS HERE on his flat crotch.

3. My exact thought, honestly. x_X They have to be able to fit into pants! ...then again, when I get my MNF boy, I'm shaving the penis off so it'll be androgynous, so I might be slightly biased here...

Something else that I just remembered bothers me. Too long calves! Some double jointed dolls will have reeeeealllly long calves when kneeling, and it bothers me so much. D:

4. I'm a little opposite of some people here, I like boobs that look like they are in a push up bra on girls, I think it looks best under clothes ( Not without them! It's really distracting without the clothes on but since they don't move one way or the other I'd prefer them looking good under clothes). Because it's annoying having normal looking boobs under clothes...like your doll is not wearing a bra. I agree though, I can't stand giraffe necks, or super ridiculous short torsos and long legs on for instance the dollmore model boys. For some reason though long legs never bother me on the girls, it only looks distractingly bad on some male sculpts :S I wonder why that is? Maybe girl hips detract/distract from that feeling a bit. *shrug*

Alternately, I don't mind the weird/small peniee stuff because I can only imagine a company sculpting them to be realistic and pretty or whatever and then you'd be stuck with lots of dolls with snapped off peniee's! I bet they would be 100% more easily snapped off, and I have a feeling that's why companies keep to the greek sculpture-esque peniee's...in my opinion anyway XD Dunno how much that's actually worth.

5. - Huge boobs that look like a bad boobjob. Pretty much the only massive boobage I like are Gentarou Araki dolls and Iplehouse EID women. They look like they've had top-knotch work done up there. Sometimes in the right underwear or outfits they even look naturally huge - slender women do occassionally have epic tatas. And with Araki and Iplehouse, they're proportionate to the hips, which brings me to...

- Tiny hips on mature female dolls. It really turns me off when a doll has an overtly top heavy silhouette.

- Cylinder limbs!

- Weirdly proportioned shoulders. While a lot of dolls have shoulders that are too small and undefined, I feel Volks SD16 girls have unattractively mannish shoulders. I could never own an SD16, having seen an SD16's piledriving shoulders next to the defined but delicate ones of the Unoa Zero.

- Feet that look too small.

6. You have good points made here, I agree with so many of you in many... many things.

Or weird, like for example Dolkot's Star Girl Body has. My friend had a Dolkot body once and was horrified by the monstrous feet. I have to say in general I like the high heeled feet more on my (girl) dolls especially when they are not standing because those normal ones look just so flat. ._.

Souldoll's Gray dog was really something when I saw him for the first time... I laughed. Hard. Especially the third picture on the site is just too awful to look at. I'd love some bjd animal ("real" animals, not those anthro(?) ones), but if they are going to be that horrible... brrh.

7. I am embarassed to say it... but it drives me nuts that Chiron the male centaur is a gelding. It's just... wrong. Creepy. I'm not nuts about his horse body in general (wish it was better proportioned) but it's the lack of (ahem) that bugs me the most.

8. I think the sculptors may have modified/excluded some animal body parts to try to make them more esthetically pleasing. On some places, this would really bug me. I've only owned human/elf dolls, so I haven't had this experience, but I was getting annoyed just today because a toy dolphin didn't have a blowhole. (That's like not having a nose!)

I was fine with missing boy bits before I got interested in BJD's. But now, it feels so strange to not have them there. Natsunekko, maybe they could make... detachable parts? :S

9. These are some of my first thoughts as well. My second problem is that many doll sculpters are having a lot of problems making proper abdominals in both males and females. Other issues revolve around nipple placement on male dolls (some are right in the middle of their chests. What the heck?) and breast shape. The only saving grace is that the dolls will be clothed anyway.
      Oh yeah and the latest trend for male dolls to have massive hands, extremely long legs, but tiny heads. I just don't understand it.

10. I can get over it most of the time, but I wish for fewer long, scrawny necks. It's the worst feature on my SSDF boy, so I'm glad he has long hair. While I like the ridiculously large hands on my Crobi M-line (like them bunches more if they had quick-release -_-), I wish his feet were proportional . . . My SD10 boy has the default arms, which are too short IMO. One of these days I'll get those switched out for the longer ones.

I'm another former horse-owner, so I'm pretty ambivalent about Souldoll's attempts there. While these don't bother me that much, the various hooves of Soom's MDs are a bit odd in the number of joints they have ^^;

11. I have to agree with this comment. You could almost look at the sculpts as a representation of the ideal form...maybe in a weird sort of creepy way. Seriously, if my boobs were that perky I'd probably fall over. :XD:

And I have to wonder if the reason that the privates don't have any definition has to do with the taboo nature (I think that's the word I'm searching for) of showing privates within the culture. Maybe I'm reading to much into it.

12. The minimee bodies not actually fitting the heads right, for ages I had my Kaoru's head on their MnM body, and it never looked right. Shove a Shiwoo head on the body, perfect fit.

The MnM bodies have way to narrow shoulders for the MnM heads!

13. what bothers me? male short torsos, flat ass, incoerences with muscles, big hands.. BIG eyes, souldoll knees.. <.<

14. DEFINITELY lopsided faces. The only time I've seen this and thought it was just a cute part of the doll has been a couple of artist's sculpts that weren't intended for mass- selling.

15. The more muscular bodies have always bothered me, personally I just don&#8217;t think they look good at all =/
      Well I lied, the only time they look good is if they are properlly body blushed.

16. That makes me think of something. When I first blushed a doll, I was surprised by how much more realistic the body, as well as the whole doll, looked. For anyone who thinks that the body does not look "correct" or realistic, blushing it would help. Sometimes, the muscles look flat, but adding in the blush really brings out the curves and contours.

17. Shoulders, arms and necks that are too scrawny on a torso that's muscular. MAJOR PEEVE, and it's the trend all through the hobby.

You can't sculpt a guy with wiiide shoulders and then have the tops of his arms be these teeny little sticks pinned to his collarbones and dangling down scrawny little arms, with a pipestem neck! It's not natural. Iplehouse has managed to give males proportionate shoulders with their EIDs and JID bodies. Everybody else, learn from them! Lost Angel has also made a gorgeous set of shoulders on their male 1/3 body, and he has neck muscle too! It's gorgeous!!

18. seconding the tiny sculpt-huge boob thing.
      also. My bbb mei is a barbie down there. It shouldn't bug me but... oooh how it does...

19. When I first saw my Obistu Gretel I was both annoyed and amused at her proportions. She looked too much like a bad anime drawing to me! Over time, her proportions grew on me and now I can't imagine the character I gave her being any other mold.

The only thing that well and truly bugs me, to the point where I even refuse to buy, is the super skinny shoulders and chest with the giant heads of doom. I can be really uptight about anatomically correct proportions (in drawings) so to see something that breaks one of "the rules" like that just bugs the crap out of me. I just want to snatch the head and put it on a better body, with shoulders and a chest broad enough to support it.

Everything else I can just forget, ignore, or even enjoy... but the head has to match the body, or else I just can't stand it.

20. Bobobie bodies! I like some of the head sculpts but probably will never buy one because the breasts on the girls are very unnatural. It looks like she's had implants or something. They just stick out without having a gentle slope like a natural breast...that and the nipples are placed right in the middle...also unnatural. Then the body had no hips or curves. It bothers me