1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Wanting The Beautiful's

Sep 20, 2008

1. @yifeier- aww, thats sad, El's are so nice! Bur I understand completly, haha. I tend to make characters before i find a doll with the exception of the DZ tan Mo ;)

I don't nessisarily agree with everyone, it isnt the size that tends to be an issue its the price because of the size (though, i'd never go over 80cm personally):kitty2

2. Well I think its more of a thing of matching personality ( yours ) with what you like in a doll. There are alot of beautiful dolls out there but that is not the only reason why people fall in love with dolls. I think the 'personality' of the doll has to come through to alot of owners first...

3. As much as I like the stunningly beautiful dolls- I like 'playing' with my dolls too much- and something that looks so wonderful, well, I would be worried about damaging it accidentally, etc. I don't want a doll I can't have fun with- seeing it sit and look neglected while the others play isn't what I do. lol

4. I agree completely. For me its not just about a pretty face. When I see a doll I want enough to buy, they always either have the look to perfectly fit a preexisting character of mine, or they seem to just be bursting at the seams with personality and before you know it, you know their life story before they've even reached your door step, let alone your heart.

Those dolls are the dolls for me. I can't be dealing with having pretty but empty faces lining my walls.

5. @Aquilla- It's like when i chose my doll's birthdays (I dont go by the day they arrived) as soon as i thought of him, the date came into my head. No other way to explain it, haha.
      It also isnt just bursting with character, it can also be filling a character.
      Oh, and it's almost like the "ugly dolls" There is no ugly doll, just lots of character :)
      Though, I can also kind of understand wanting a pretty face on your wall

@Ran- I understand. Though, I can also see why people could want pretty faces to sit on their shelves. Sometimes even though they just sit there, looking at the beauty could comfort someone.

6. there are more stunning 70 cm doll sculpts that i like more than the 60 cm ones but they are just too big for me. maybe a 65 cm lupin or spinel is ok.

7. Soom's Monthly Dolls. They're all so gorgeous, especially their newest one, but I just can't connect to any of them and go "DO WANT". :< I'd really like to have one, though, but I think I'd just end up selling the poor thing.

8. I originally wanted an MSD size doll, since it was the only size I'd seen and been able to interact with. But I saw a 70cm at school and fell in love with the size. So now I see all the girls I thought were beautiful before, but now with their size.. I don't think I could see myself getting one, although they are still very beautiful.

9. Jup. Had that plenty of times with plenty of dolls, actually. Mostly girls (I seem to prefer boys). Most dolls are really very cute and I really enjoy seeing pics of them or the dolls "in person". But also, most of them are simply too child-like for my taste. Got nothing to do with size. It's just that I prefer dolls that look a little more mature, at least late teens.

Also, it's a bit like Aquilla said: I like dolls with personality. Most dolls are really very pretty. But to me, not more than that, even though I like to look at them. But when I saw Unidoll's Ark or Cherishdoll's Cynical Cathy, that was like "Whoa - (s)he's got more than personality. (S)He's got an ATTITUDE!" That's what strikes me about a doll and makes me go "wanna have!!!" - and so I'll order Cathy for Christmas. *big grin*

10. I think bahas are adorable but I would not want one. I have seen some lovely/cute luts msd but their heads are too big looking for me XD Some I will never get, not because I would not like them if I somehow won one or it was given to me, because I would always find another doll or thing I would rather spend that money on.

11. I'm in love with the Soony. I think she's absolutely gorgeous but I'm afraid to buy her because she just doesn't fit any of my characters really. I want her but I really don't think she'd fit with my taste. I may try someday and buy her but until then I'll just look at lovely owner pictures.

12. Soom Sabik.... I lust for him, and I even intend to only collect the big boys... but there is no place for him in my storyline for one, and for two, he looks exactly like my best friend. I could never take him seriously as a doll... I'd always be putting long chocolate wigs on him and calling him 'Alyse' (which wouldnt be very manly). It would just be weird. *L*

But then, there are a ton of gorgeous dolls I just dont feel anything for. =^_^= Most of the extremely popular ones fall into this category for me. Take almost everybody from Volks, for example. Intellectually I tell myself I should gravitate toward them, since they are total works of art.... but I just dont have that desire, you know?

13. Soom monthly dolls. Wow, gorgeous, but I couldn't handle a doll like that. I like to play and not just display them. I would be afraid to touch any of the doll.

I could also never own an SD...they're too big to take care of for me. I like my tinies. :)

14. I tend to go for quirky, smirky faces, not traditional beauty. I have one doll that I find achingly gorgeous (Tanwoo Hu) and he really doesn't get as much actual play as some of the others. I don't want to damage him in any way. Poor dude just sits there looking gorgeous...

15. I don't discriminate based on size - I am fine with a 'mixed crew' as to scales having both mad photoshop skillz and imagination, and not being so much about taking pictures of them anyway. I see my dolls more as muses, and I am far more interested in modding and making paintings and drawing of them than playing 'director' in dramas-
      ...well, at this point. It often seems I go thru phases of being more interested in story, but right now what is rockin' my free world is the narrative visual line.

And I think that's why I love to look at dolls like the Soom monthlies, but have no desire to own one: they're 'done' already. I have nothing to add bring to their tables, they are sublime and utterly complete, right out of the box. Whereas the dolls I have fallen for and 'must has' are still in the process of becoming, if that makes any sense?

I used to think SD-size was 'too big' but after painting up every scale from Puki to MSD, I am eager to see what a larger playing field is like. If I still adore Lati's Red M after the restock, I will be going for him and I have a BBB 60 boy in blue coming. Mecha Angel is not out of the question 'someday' but first I will see how these charming fellows fit in my dystopic fairyland!

There are other dolls that truly touch my heart but just don't quite 'click' - Alice Cherry Blossom and all her lil' piggy relatives are a prime example. I adore them, admire them, think their sculptors are brilliant artists and would even go so far as to propose that ACB deserves a place in some kind of hypothetical 'top ten' of most gorgeous molds, ever. But I don't want one for my own...
      ...I have wondered if it is I couldn't bear to cook bacon in the same house as the little piggies ;)

I also don't like having two dolls that look too much 'alike'. For example, while there are many very sweet cat-dolls out now, I feel like it would be being cruelly disloyal to my beloved Baha to bring one home. How weird is that?

16. The Feelple Breakaway... It is so so so so beautiful and gorgeous but I dont see how I would need it if I bought it. I cant come up with a role/character with it, since its so beautiful it feels like it already has one, and I cant come up with a better reason to buy it but to hide it in my closet/expose it in a glass box.

So...I guess I wont be buying that one anytime soon.

17. I don't think she's your conventional beauty, but I really love the Domuya Fin. She's got a profile and nose rather similar to mine, and her face is just so mature and compelling. Still, she doesn't seem to fit as any of my characters, as hard as I may try.
      The same goes for the Soom Dia. Her face is pristine. I mean, I can't fault it in any way. But her beauty is kind of overwhelming, and would almost take away from my character's value. Not to mention her rather voluptuous body, which also does not suit.

18. I'm really digging some of the answers here. ^_^ I myself don't have a specific doll in mind that I oogle at but don't want.. I think many of the limiteds are gorgeous, but I would never really want one due to the fact that I would feel bad about customizing it... and I REALLY love making a doll my own.

It would just be a shame for me to change a doll that someone else could appreciate as a full set. (>;-.-)> So I admire the artwork and aesthetic of many limited dolls without ever feeling the urge to actually buy them.

I would likely make an exception for some DOD Limiteds though, haha...*dies*

19. I love the Dollstown sculpts! In general, I like the more homely-looking people, because I find them more interesting in real life. That definitely carries over into my taste in dollies! Dollstown dolls are all very human, very plain-looking, I think. They don't represent an ideal, which is something I've really been getting into lately. :B

20. yes, precisely :lol: i love Elf Ducan, i think he's gorgeous but he's just not the doll for me. there are quite a few of the DoD sculpts that i adore but will probably never buy because i couldn't think what to do with them.