1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obitsu General Discussion - Part Three (60cm, 55cm, 50cm and 47cm)

Oct 14, 2016

1. Glad you found some answers! I have found vinyl a JOY to add to my collection. I already have about 35+ resin dolls, but vinyl was a refreshing change. It's different and new and learning about it reminds me of how it was when i first got into the hobby

2. I have mixed feelings about vinyl. While I appreciate its poseability, I don't like how stain-happy it can be, and I really don't like how vinyl ages. I ended up selling one of my Obitsus recently because of uneven yellowing due to degradation of the vinyl. However, my older Volks Dollfie Dream still looks almost new. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I suspect keeping the Obitsu in a box for a long time didn't help.

The largest difference is that urethane-type resin becomes more stable as it ages, while vinyl becomes less stable. However, it typically takes a long time (like, 20-50 years), so it isn't much to worry about as long as you're taking care of your dolls.

3. One thing about the Obistu bodies is that the uneven yellowing seems to happen really quickly. When you get a new body it might be uneven already because of the different materials for the joints, soft vinyl body parts and harder vinyl body parts. So it's best to be prepared for that.

Honestly, staining can happen, and I was really paranoid about it at first, but I've had my oldest Obitsu girl for 4 years now and I haven't stained her at all. Granted, I always make sure to dress her only in clothes with pre-washed fabric, and I think that's really important. I also tend to chose light colors (but not always), and avoid stain monsters like vinyl fabrics (and use socks with dark shoes), and all these things are good preventatives.

4. I couldn't resist getting an Angel Philia after admiring them for many years. I've had mine about a year, no stains, but I stick to white clothes and a blonde wig for longer periods of time but didn't have issues from a dark brown Monique Gold wig being on for a week or two. I wouldn't be so cautious about stains except I really like the factory blushing and faceup and don't want to damage that. If I didn't have factory blushing or faceup that I treasured, I'd be more bold with colors and just use Remove Zit from Twin Pines or another product with the peroxide in it. I like resin and vinyl dolls, both for their own reasons, and couldn't pick a preference easily. I'm just glad this little thread exists because I love my Monami so much and tend to keep to very few doll communities online.

5. What sounds scarier, a stain that in all likelihood can be removed or a couple of snapped off resin fingers?

I've had vinyls nearly exclusively (I bought a resin head once) for over 10 years. I chose vinyl because the first doll I fell for was the Haruka sculpt, which was vinyl. I'm thankful my first was a vinyl. I never would have been able to do my photo stories with resins. I've played hard with my vinyls, not abused, just used more than most. They get handled a lot for my photo stories with lots of posing and clothes changes, and some location shoots. Yes there have been stains. Some have come as a surprise, others were just me being stupid. These stains have been removed with Remove-Zit from Twin Pines, which has been specially formulated for removing stains from vinyl, not removing/preventing blemishes from human skin.

Most of my vinyls have weathered well over the years. The only special treatment they have received, outside of the occasional "spa day" at Twin Pines, is that they spend most of their "down time" in a darkened room with the absolute minimum of light. As for vinyl discoloring, it can happen. The biggest culprits are light, particularly the UV component and the oil from human skin transferred during handling. While I don't do the "white glove" stuff, I do wash my hands thoroughly before handling my dolls.

It should be noted that one of the reasons a vinyl can come out of the box with slightly varying skin shades is that in all likelihood the dolls parts came from different batches of vinyl, each with it's own slight variances in color. When you purchase a resin from the manufacturer, more often than not your purchase isn't in stock and must be made. This is why it can take months to get the doll. When making one doll most of the parts are cast from one batch of resin. Whereas at the vinyl factory, today might be "abdomen" day. Tomorrow might be an "arms" day. The day after could be shins, etc. During this process several batches of vinyl are mixed and used. With the materials used for vinyl coming from outside suppliers, colors can be close, but not dead on. Getting a vinyl with slight variances in skin coloration is normal. If the doll is clothed these variations are hardly noticeable.

6. Thank you for your in depth response!
      For me while the idea of snapping fingers is scary, I know I can probably just glue them back on, or worse comes to worst, buy them new hands.
      With vinyl I have no experience, and the idea that staining might be permanent scared me.
      Now that I know more, I know that I would like a vinyl doll some day, I'm just uncertain as to if that day is now, or sometime in the future.
      I'll have to remember Remove-Zit when the time comes. :3nodding:<3

7. Long time lurker on this thread, but I finally have something to post! Guys, I'm so in love with my new (to me) AP Mona! She's my first vinyl and she's so stunning! She's waiting on hair (she's going to be a blonde--they have more fun, I'm told), but even without I just can't help admiring her. Here she is modeling my first clumsy attempt at a 20s-style drop waist dress (came out looking more like a hospital gown because of the fabric choice, second attempt will hopefully be better!) I'll probably use a light jersey for the next one. I thought I gave myself enough seam allowance but cotton is unforgiving, as are Mona's hips.
      [​IMG]
      I'm going for an old Hollywood It Girl look for her right now inspired by her previous owner's demure faceup and manicure, but eventually I want to build up a big wardrobe for her with lots of different looks.

8. IThe dress looks nice! You did a good job with the pattern. I imagine it could be saved from the hospital realm if you were to add somerthing like trimmings or other decorative detailwork.

9. One more newbie here :lol: Still don't know how to cope with her, but definitely like her^^
      [​IMG]

10. Hey, i have a secondhand ~40cm obitsu and the posing isn't very fun. But Ive been reading this thread and seeing people sing praises of vinyl posing. Is there something wrong with mine? It's so hard to get the spine to bend for one, but its been a while since I've even touched it. I'm too afraid of staining to have it out. I remember he'd flop at the hips a lot too.

11. Sorry to hear that. Obitsus are usually pretty good at posing.

Quite possibly. Getting one second hand, you really don't know what's going on under the skin. With resins everything is out on the surface. The only thing inside is the elastic. But with Obi's there's a whole multi part skeleton inside and there could be numerous problems hiding under those vinyl skins. What can you tell us?

The 40cm is a modified 50cm, which was designed by Parabox and manufactured by Obitsu. In order to shorten the body, one of the mods made to the 40cm was that one of the three spine parts in the normal 48/50cm body was removed and some mods were made to the other two, so there's not quite as much range of motion in the 40cm spine.
      So when you say "hard to get the spine to bend" do you mean it doesn't bend as far as you'd like it to or do you mean that it is literally hard to bend and takes a lot of force to get it to move?

Staining is just one of those things that happens. It's almost unavoidable. Luckily almost any stain can be removed. The simplest stain prevention technique is to clothe your Obi in white fabrics or pastels and pre-wash everything before putting it on.

Where exactly does he flop, where the legs go into the body (a.k.a. swingy legs) or higher up?

12. My first jointed doll was a 50cm Parabox/Obitsu girl.
      My intent was for her to be a dancer so I waned her
      to be poseable and she certainly is. She is still one of
      my favorite dolls to pose and photograph. Last fall I
      bought a new dress for her. Here she is modeling it.

[​IMG]Tango Dress by Tom Beach, on Flickr

13. I have a question for @K-2!. Since he/she knows a lot about vinyl might now who makes these super large bust pieces. I saw this one on YJA a few years ago. One of my characters is an adult entertainer who was obsessed with having extremely large breasts and had them enlarged with silicone implants then had polypropelene string breast implants which keep growing and ended up with breasts like the ones in the pic. I realise the character would have to be vinyl since those breast wouldn't work in resin. So @K-2! do you know who makes pieces like this.? Before everyone thinks I am some pervert guy. I am actually a 44 year woman who wanted very large breast implants but couldn't afford them plus it is very hard to find the size I wanted which was 5000cc of silicone. Since I can't have them my doll can.

[​IMG]

#293 blackdahlia, May 20, 2019
      Last edited: May 20, 2019
    14. Thanks, @ronnie92 ! Yeah, I agree that some embellishment couldn't hurt. I'm keeping an eye out for some lace or ribbon that could jazz it up some. Maybe a sash to cover up where I need to let out the waist. The fabric has a really cute, tiny leaf print that's so in scale-- hopefully with trim it will move from hospital gown to feminine dress! Fortunately, she's a pleasure to sew for. <3
      That tan skin is gorgeous! I love her wistful face.
      I didn't know they made bust pieces that big! To quote Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged: "Her boobs are bigger than you!" Luckily dolls don't have to worry about surgery bills (or back problems, lol.)

15. @sugarbeta Congrats! I think the dress looks really nice. It's smart to go with lighter colors. I've had my girls since last year and I make her wear all white except for a pale pastel cardigan I sometimes put on her when she looks cold.
      @Rook_Sever Congrats! Wow, the tan looks really good with that wig especially.
      @TomB Congrats! That is a nice dress and she certainly looks very limber.

@blackdahlia I'm not K-2! but that bust part might be one of the aftermarket silicone ones. I see several especially large bust parts being sold on Y!Japan that are silicone, so it makes me think that part might be from the same maker. I believe they have a variety of colors, styles and blushing options with those but can't remember exactly how to order one but I know several have done so.

16. @mollym thank you dear! I wanted pink wig for her firstly, but I love this one too^^

17. Like Mollym mentioned, I too have seen these sold frequently on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I have several girls with smaller sets which I purchased there years ago. At the time I back tracked one set to this site. Like I said, I purchased mine in a YJA auction and have not ordered directly from this site. You may need a proxy.
      Google Translate of Mammodoll site.

18. I'm really interested in vinyl dolls after getting a smaller off-topic Obitsu body recently. I have a question: do the joints of the taller bodies (40cm and up) also squeak when you pose them? Thanks!

19. @D795 I haven't really noticed the joints of my 60cm girl squeaking, but then I hadn't really paid attention either. It also has the older non-ball joints.