1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obitsu vs. Dollfie Dream - what's the difference

Jul 16, 2005

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a BW Obitsu 60-011 head perched on a NS DD2 body. It doesn't fit, but the colors look good.

2. Thanks for the pictures! That's what I was thinking...a pale Obitsu on a normal skin DD2 body. What would it take to fit that head on the DD body? Do you think it could be modified?

I bought this head and was thinking about getting a DD2 body for it.

[​IMG]

3. The Obitsu head has a much smaller neckhole than the DD2 and you'd have to cut it out and build up a new neck unit. I'm not 100% certain it's worth the work.

I'm hanging on to that head in the hopes that I can just find a DD2 head and get a new 60cm Obitsu later.

4. A friend cut the neckhole out of a DD head and grafted it onto an Obitsu head. It looks great and gave her different head options.

5. I decided to go ahead and get the Obitsu BJD body. Thanks for the help!

6. I hope you enjoy her. I just got the Obitsu BJD and I really love her.
      Susan

7. Here's a pic of my DD2 with a white Obitsu Haruka head :) The pieces fit quite nicely in my opinion.

Have fun,
      ~Sarah~

[​IMG]

8. How come the Volks Dolfie Dream an the Obitsu 60cm dolls are both like $200 cheaper then other 60cm dolls? Is there something I'm missing. Are they crappy? Does anyone have comparison pictures or anything?

9. They're made of vinyl as opposed to resin :)

It's a different material -- less expensive to make. A lot of people have DD or Obitsu bodies with resin heads -- they're actually lighter and more poseable than resin, but the downside is that they stain a bit more easily. There's a lot of info on here as to the pros and cons of resin vs. vinyl bodies -- but the short answer is that they're not "crappy," they're just something different :>

-- Andi <3

10. So are they still strug like normal bodies and everything? i mean because if they're not that much different then i would consider getting them and a Resin head. If they are finished and coated do they still stain as much?

11. DD1 bodies are strung, DD2 and Obitsu's have an inner skeleton that makes them pose really well. I don't know anything about using MSC on them, but I think most of the staining happens with darker clothes so if you either don't have them wear it or wash them before use to let the excess dye you'd stand a better chance of them not staining.

12. I don't know about the DD, but the Obitsu body isn't strung. It has an internal "skeleton" instead of strings, and if needed, you can just pull off a leg or an arm. ^_^; Another thing to understand when doing vinyl body + resin head is that they're not meant to fit. It took quite a while for me to figure out a way to get my DIM head to stay on the Obitsu body...

13. You can coat them with MSC, it's a good idea to do it, because they can stain very easily. I line my DD2 and Obitsu's clothes with white fabric too, to help prevent any staining.

The DD and Obitsu bodies are really very nice; their posability is wonderful. They are a really nice alternative to the resin body.

14. The DD1 is strung, and shouldn't pose a problem.

The DD2 and Obitsu have a skeleton structure inside and need a little ingenuity to attach a resin head.

Most people put a loop of elastic around the skeleton inside, and pull it up through the neck hole and into the resin head. You usually need a washer to add stability. BF used the top to a Ramune bottle (the part you use to push the marble in with) for his Obitsu, placed in the neck, under the head. (Not inside the head.) It added stability and height to the neck.

15. The other good thing with Obitsu is that you can get spare parts...and Testor's Dullcoate is great to keep them from staining. I'm really looking forward to the new boy next month, finally a real boy for a good price. *is poor*

16. My two cents would just be that the DD2 bodies' joints look more like the resin bodies' joints than the Obitsu ones do. It's a matter of taste, really. I have a BW CP Soony head on a DD2 white body, and even though the skin tone is not an exact match, it works really well:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64559

You also don't get that "short neck" effect with the DD2 body. My (probably temporary) fix to attach the head is just a rubber band looped through the headcap loop and then tied around the DD body's neck peg until it was tight.

I love the body, it poses fantasitcally and the body shape is beautiful. It took some getting used to that it is hollow vinyl - in other words, you can "squish" the legs and other body parts and they give a little.

17. But isn't Obitsu's new-style body more like a resin BJDs joints?

(All confused because I'm just starting to consider one of these myself.)

18. Yes, they came out with a "ball joint" version of the body, but it's still not strung but has hinge-type joints, so you get the same good posing. Here's a pic of the ball-joint body off of Junkyspot:
      http://www.junkyspot.com/OBITSU/IMAGES/60DOLL/60BDF04NG.jpg

There are also 3 versions of the non-ball joint body. The three part body, and 2 versions of the 2 part (soft body a and b, B is a bit more detailed, it has nipples and more details in the tummy and back).

Nice thing about obitsu's is they sell replacement parts for everything, both the internal skeleton and outer shell. So even if the vinyl stains you can just buy a replacement part.

19. The decided advantage to Obitsu over others is that there are magnets in the feet.

It's very nice to plop your doll down on any steel surface and know she's not going to immediately hit the floor.

FinFin, I'll have two with me at the meet tomorrow, so I'll show you everything you could want to know :)