1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obitsu vs. Dollfie Dream - what's the difference

Jul 16, 2005

1. I own both DD and Obitsu (60cm bjd), they are both being modded to improve them as much I could so I know very well their structure and what can be done with them.

I must say that I really dislike the 60cm obitsu body, the inner structure have a poor design that make it stiff and prone to break, the vinyl parts are poorly detailed and almost shapeless, they have also a lot of air bubbles. Overall the proportions are ugly, the arms are short, the legs way too loooooooong with ridiculous small feets, the neck is too thin and she lack butt, shoulders and knees. (IMHO)

The DD also have some faults, shoulders, wrists and ankles tend to slide out but I solved this problem with some rare-earth magnets, the neck joint is pure crap but you can replace it (you can even use an elastic band with an S-hook. The elbows and knees have a double joint system so they can bend way over 90 degrees like Obitsu bodies but the system doesn't work too well without modifications. Overall the DD looks much better than OB, she have IMO some of the nicer legs and a cute butt.

So IMHO I really suggest to go for a DD in the end:)

The haruka head is pretty small for a 60cm doll, I suggest to wait for the new smaller obitsu or parabox bodies, she look awful on a DD IMHO.

Parabox will release this month the new Gretel head, it should have a larger neck hole, larger eyes socket and different lips, I think it will fit a DD body perfectly.

bye

2. that is interesting to know! do you now when the smaller bodies are coming out and what size they will be?

3. Hopefully this summer, Obitsu will release both50cm and 40cm girl bodies, Parabox will release a 48cm conversion kit for the 60cm obitsu body.

4. oooh A 50cm doll would be perfect for a haruka head...that might have sold me! I have to admit, though the DD bodies are nicer but I the obistsu cheaper- I want a doll to practice tattoos and stuff on so not willing to ruin my resin kids!

5. These are great answers guys! I really am thinking i'm going to do a Dollfie Dream body with the Gretel head. :) Are there currently any other Heads besides the standard Dollfie dream heads (anime-looking) and the gretel? It would be awesome if there were some other heads :)

6. Well, there will be two more soon it looks like :3~

Oh, and to put in my 2cents about the obitsu vs dd deal (and I have owned both before) I'd go for DD. It just looks a lot nicer and breaks a lot less easily.

7. Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding Dollfie Dream and Obitsu 60cm dolls. ^__^; So here goes:

1) Are Dollfie Dream and Obitsu the same thing? I'm albeit confused between the two.

2) Are the only available heads the following heads here? Or are there other heads available that fit the 60cm bodies size and skintone? Basically, I'm hoping for more head variety if any. ^__^;

3) Are there male Dollfie Dream/Obitsu dolls?

4) Can they wear SD13/SD10 clothing?

Thank you very much (^__^!

8. Dollfie Dream and Obitsu 60cm are not the same dolls or made by the same company. Dollfie Dream is by Volks and Obitsu 60cm by Obitsu.

Obitsu has a few different body styles in the 60cm size. The have a fairly new, ball jointed style that is similar in proportion to the Dollfie Dream. But Obitsus don't stain as easily as Dollfie Dream and still are the best at posing.

I had a 60cm Obitsu ball jointed girl but sold her. Now I wish I had kept her. She was really fun and I love that you can buy optional heads at such reasonable prices. I also, it's just my taste, prefer the heads available for the 60cm Obitsu better than those offered for the Dollfie Dream.

That link you provided for the heads does show all the heads available for the 60cm Obitsu. You can also purchase various heads through Hobby Link Japan or Hobby Search Japan to name a few. There are probably others as well. Junkyspot is very reliable and usually has a good variety of heads in stock.

I just purchased a Gretel head from Junkyspot that I painted to sell on ebay. But now I don't want to part with her!

Hope this helps!

Jay

9. 1) Are Dollfie Dream and Obitsu the same thing? I'm albeit confused between the two.

Nopes, both are vinyl, but Dollfie Dream is made by Volks and Obitsu 60cm dolls are made by...Obitsu. :) The bodies look quite a bit different and the poseability is different as well.

2) Are the only available heads the following heads here? Or are there other heads available that fit the 60cm bodies size and skintone? Basically, I'm hoping for more head variety if any. ^__^;

You can jury rig a spacer to attach some resin heads. Heads that I've attached that way have included Elfdoll, Roxy Doll, and Soom resin heads. I'm sure there's more out there. Azone heads will also fit without needing any modification, and Dollfie Dream heads should fit I believe.
      I put up a basic tutorial here: http://www.junkyspot.com/OBITSU/forums/index.php?showtopic=2013&hl=soombitsu but I've since found more simple washers work better than a bottlecap (in reality, i was just using what I had laying about rather than taking a trip to the hardware store).

3) Are there male Dollfie Dream/Obitsu dolls?

I can't speak for the Dollfie Dream dolls. Obitsu's been promising one for over a year now, and supposedly will release one either this month or next. They DO have prototype pics up which leads me to believe that they might really release one soon. Otherwise, you can make one yourself using their male chest piece...tutorial here: http://www.junkyspot.com/OBITSU/forums/index.php?showtopic=114&hl=male

4) Can they wear SD13/SD10 clothing?

SD13/SD10...clothing is hit or miss. Most tops will fit and skirts should be fine, but SD13 pants are a little short on Obitsu dolls.

10. Oops, forgot to answer this. SD10 and SD13 outfits are a little loose on 60cm Obitsus depending on the style. 60cm Obitsus have a thinner waist. So SD13 work better than SD10. But I used my SD10 and SD13 outfits on my Obitsu. The 60cm Obitsu has smaller feet than most SDs, but I use some shoes for SDs on her anyway like boots. They worked great.

Jay

11. I have found some MSD shoes fit my Girl, best to get something with mm specified and then you can get a good fit

12. I have some pictures somewhere that I took comparing my DD1 to my bjd Obitsu. I'll have to see if I can dig them up. :)
      They're definitely different, but each lovely in their own way. The Obitsu is one of the best posing dolls around, and the DD2 isn't far behind. The DD1 is a hybrid of sorts, she's partially strung like the resin bjds.

13. Bit old thread but very helpful! Thank you all :D

I own a DD2 girl and just wanted to add some hopefully useful things... I can't compare her with an Obitsu body but she really poses a lot better than resin dolls and has a very sexy and mature body. I'm not a big fan of the default face ups from Volks but the DD animeish heads can be painted pretty "non-animeish". My girl wears Obitsu pixie ears in white skin. It's not a perfect match but with lots of blushing it works out pretty well. (The ears can NOT be fixed without modifications. I prefered to make the ears a bit wider than ruining the head though...)

Some parts of her can be a bit floppy/ loose. You can fix it easily with a screwdriver and/ or kips. One of my girl's feet is a bit loose and I can't fix it. She has some problems with standing bare feet or in flat shoes but with some high heels (like the plastic ones from Volks) she stands pretty well.

I used MSC on her and let it dry A LOT. First layer about 2 hours, second one after I did the body blushing for about 4 hours. It's not sticky or something like this, just let it dry for a long time.

I have never had any problems with stains except for a shirt of mine that was falling down on her ~.~ Clothes from Volks never left stains on her, if I sew by myself I definitely do wash the fabric. I heared about Azone clothes that they will leave stains but I don't own clothes from Azone until now. Maybe I will go and visit the store in the next days so I can try. I would suggest to wash and maybe line them...

She doesn't fit too well in SD clothes... I have had problems with her bust, waist and hips. Some clothes do work very well but there might be the possibility that you have to fix them a bit. The fabric around the bust could be too tight, around the hips way too large.

Once I ordered a wig in 8-10, which is wa~y to large. You can hide her whole head in the wig... :sweat The normal 8-9 wigs do fit great also the DD heads are a bit smaller than SD heads.

All in all the DD2 bodies and heads are very nice. Affordable, have nice posing abillities and do look great. Small problems can always be fixed easily (and what would our hobby be without fixing problem :) )

14. I don't own a Dollfie Dream so I don't really have anything to say about 'em that hasn't already been said. However, I do have a 60cm Obitsu ball-joint model.

I don't get why everyone is saying Obitsus are "ugly", I've always considered them to be very pretty bodies, not as beautiful as the Dollfie Dreams but still very nice. I love how curvy their thighs are, and all the optional parts (busts, hands). The joints don't bother me any more than resin doll's joints do.

Posing is fantastic with the Obitsu dolls. She feels very sturdy, and I'm not constantly afraid of breaking her like I was with my resins (that I am now selling). I find the simple fact that I don't have to worry about all the stuff I had to worry about with resin dolls very appealing.

15. I own two obitsu bodies and a teen trends body with obitsu joints modded onto it.

I also handled a DD2 body a friend of mine owns.

I dunno, but I sincerely worry about breaking my obitsu MUCH more than a resin bjd. If you're not clumsy and decide to throw your resin doll fingers and nose first into the ground, you can really squish them into bags and such. Obitsu on the other hand, I constantly worry about sitting my boys down cuz of that waist joint... And I accidently broke a hip joint on one of my obitsus and decided to throw the rest of the joints onto my teen trends rather than bothering to order spare parts.

Also, I worry constantly about clothes staining onto the vinyl and hate the oxy 10 method which is slow and annoying.

Though, obitsu do have tight joints for posability and such, the worry of pushing my dolls to the limit worries me because I broke my dolls from ordinary posing :/

DD2 feel rubbery and kinda loose to me. It was much easier posing my obitsus...

But, on the point of obitsus being ugly... They're oversized action dolls. Hence why the feet are tiny, the 'lack' of detail compared to their resin counterparts and the jointing is very different.

I dunno, I used to LOVE obitsu until they decided to become a giant exclusive action figure company that keeps pushing back the release of a body just so they can sell more exclusives and such <___< The most I can really see is a good point of obitsu is posing. But the cons for me outweigh the good. :(

If you want great posing, a super model's body or generally a lightweigh solution for your doll's body, get an obitsu.

16. I've just received my first DD2. Compared to the ridgidity of resin they are rubbery! They also smell a lot more like plastic (think beach ball fresh out of the packet!) As a total DD noob this came as a surprise to me :doh but my DD2, a Rei Ayanami, poses like a dream.....no pun intended :lol:

17. Bumping this thread for more info :)

I've just bought a DDII body from Volks for my resin CP Lishe head (too tired of waiting & saving for a resin body)...does anyone know how I'd go about attaching the resin head to the DDII neck? The head needs an S-hook to attach the headcap securely, but the DDII body doesn't have a neck hook. I have seen someone successfully use a DDII body for their Lishe and it obviously works for them, but I can't find them to ask how they did it!

18. Old thread, but still fair game!

I have three Obitsus and I love them. I never worry about breaking them, either. With my cats, they've taken many tumbles and are none the worse for wear. Magic Eraser can clean out any tough dirt... My boy Rylin went to Disneyland earlier this year and fell onto the asphalt driveway and only got a minor scuff on his arm that cleaned right off.

The Obitsus are super possable, too, and great for handling. Rylin broke a wrist joint once and I had to order a replacement part, but it was easy to install. I would definitely recommend them for anyone who likes to "play" with their dolls or take them on outings, rather than just take pictures or have them safely in a case or on a stand.

19. I know this is an old thread, but since I have both, I might as well comment.

Obitsu 60cm and a Volks DD2 body are the same in terms of an internal "skeleton" with vinyl covering, other than that they really are not very similar. Obitsus are heavier than a DD2, they feel more sturdy. This is because Obitsu uses both soft and hard vinyl, Volks uses only soft vinyl, but more a medium weight when compared to Obitsu soft areas. The "skeletal" structure of both dolls is very different with Obitsu having external jointing and Volk's incorporating the jointing into the body. This makes Obitsu easier to fix and take apart than a DD2. I have also noticed that my Obitsu seems to have an easier time standing on her own than my DD2, her feet are wider and have more weight to them with the magnets. My DD2's joints are very easy to manuver, which also means she manuvers herself when I don't want her to; Obitsu joints are harder to move and so pose better for extended periods of time. Superficially, the DD2 wins, Obitsu joints are pretty ugly, at least to me. The new Obitsu "ball joint" model resembles the DD2 jointing a bit more, but still does not look as good as the DD2 body. NO screws are visible with a DD2 body like they are with Obitsu's. I did recently find "screw plugs" for Obitsu bodies which cover the screw holes, I think this will GREATLY improve the look of any Obtisu and I plan to get some for myself as soon as I find the site again :|. Size wise, DD2s are bigger than Obitsu, so far, Obitsu is the skinniest doll I have found, DD2's look a little more natural instead of super model small. A DD2 seems to be easier to find clohting and shoes that fit than an Obitsu.

Overall, pricing is about the same for both dolls new and the quality is consitent with what you pay. I would not say one is any better than the other, it's all what you are looking for in a doll. I personally like the looks of my DDD better than my Obitsu, but I plan to get the new jointing system for the elbows of my Obitsu, which look A LOT nicer and I will get the screw coverings. With screw covers and the new body, Obitsu's look a lot nicer, but still not up to par with a DD2.

20. I just got a 50cm obitsu. Essentially everthing wrong with a 60cm obitsu is fixed in the obitsu 50cm.

50cm > all.