1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsessed with another owner's doll?

Sep 16, 2005

1. I was a little frustrated with the head of Eris, was her boyfriend for months and decided to buy the site, however when it came to makeup was not as stunning in the photos. She is beautiful, but I had higher expectations.

At home, Erick (Don Ringdoll), Hwang Lee (Luke # 1 Dream Of Doll) Hana Kiori (Cherie Iplehouse) Kalishi (head or Eris Doll / impldoll body) and head of Tae (souldoll)
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukca/

2. There are several characters inhabiting dolls that I adore (they are all in photo stories) - pretty much like I am about certain characters from film, tv or literature. I would not try to copy one of those dolls, tho, because to me, the character is the doll in the photo story, not one I would get.... (as in, Scarlet Empress' Robin - I might get a Soom Epidos but it would hardly be Robin...)

3. I got started on this hobby because of someone else's doll. He was the first BJD I saw, and he was so beautiful. It took me a really really long time to finally get my first doll.... must say almost six years after I saw the doll that I was obsessed with. I chose the same model as the doll that I liked. Of course, he did not turn out to be the same, but I really love mine. There was never any kind of disappointment. Now after a year of having him, I can say that I like him much more than that doll I was obsessed with 6 years ago. I don't mean to say that mine is better, but the point is, even though he was inspired by another doll. Mine ended up looking quite different based on how I customized him. He had my personal touch from head to toes, cutting his hair, doing his face up, blushing his body, sewing his first outfit, even making accessories for him myself. It was probably all the efforts I put into him that made him very special to me.

4. I first knew I wanted a doll after I held one for the first time at a convention, one of my friend's dolls, and I just fell deeply in love with him lol. I still love that doll so much and whenever I see him I giggle and freak out. I fell in love with another one of the same friend's dolls and she's actually selling her to me, I'm super excited and I hope after I recreate her I still love her just as much as I do now ^.^

5. Wow I feel like I'm reading my OWN story ^^; the same thing happened to me. I saw someone else's doll and I fell in love. I said to myself "this is the one, this is the one!" and he was/is the one :) I bought the same sculpt of course but he developed his own style and personality, very different from that doll who is also very special to me because he made me realize what I really wanted. I kind of want to look for that doll now and tell him "thank you" XD as I am very happy with my first boy <3

6. not obsessed with anyone's specific doll ('obsession' kind of implies to me lying awake at night thinking about them or have a creepy folder on my desktop full of pictures) but...

the closest i think i've come to this is seeing someone take a really flattering pictures of [X] doll and that has sometimes prompted me to seek out or buy the same sculpt. there are one or two dolls that without doubt i've been tempted to copy stylistically (they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?) but i don't think i've yet to do that, at least not consciously. i have a very specific vision of how i like my dolls to look usually, even if i greatly admire or am envious of the way another person customized the same doll.

the best example of this is i saw someone on flickr who is an amazing artist and had done beautiful work on a doll i also own; hers has a face-up she did herself while mine has the (pretty, but not unique) company face up. she also added some touches to the doll that would make it really obvious if anybody copied what she did to it. i love her version of the doll a lot, but that doesn't make me appreciate mine less since even if i can't paint dolls with the same skill as her i can still style her the way i like with wigs, eyes, and clothes of my choice.

still, if she ever put that doll up for sale (which i doubt will happen ever) then i'd definitely consider buying hers because it's just so lovely. i wouldn't sell or replace my own version of the doll in that scenario though...firstly i'm emotionally attached, and secondly because both of them look quite different thanks to the detail and work this girl put into the custom and styling that i'd be happy owning 'twins'.