1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsessed with another owner's doll?

Sep 16, 2005

1. Syrinxfox ^_^ yeah it's because of you that I actually decided to get all their stories out of my head and onto paper instead of keeping them all to myself, you know that right ? >3

but yes, none of that was intended or expected. I'm glad it all happened though because I got to meet you <-- best part of it all ^^

rockerchick1204 ^__^ eeee, thankyou, it makes me happy to know you like him <3

LordSesshoumaruSama :D you have no idea how happy you made me <3 Jenova is something special, but I also realize that I'm pretty biased there so I get happy that others can see what I see in him. So very happy <3

---

again, back to the topic on hand. There's nothing wrong with obsessing over other peep's dolls, I find myself doing it to the ones I love. When someone creates an amazing character that can actually get you interested and keep that interest, it's only natural to want to know more about them, learn about them, keep up on them, etc. And even loving your own the most doesn't mean you can't love others as well. Just like real peeps, creating unique characters is all part of the fun about them. You can get 20 Els in one place and not have one look, think or act alike. Like Syrinxfox says, inspiration is one thing, copy is another. I think it's better to be inspired because like real peeps, having a carbon copy of another person's doll will never ever work out the way you want. Because unless it IS them, no matter how close he/she may look, it will never be them, nor should they be.

2. At the local Anime convention, I met four dolls, the first of which was a Yen, Elijah.
      As beautiful as the other three were, and as much as I prefer 60cm dolls in both looks and weight, I'm madly in love with Elijah. I constantly have little thoughts about making gifts for him. I'd never looked at Yen like that before, but upon meeting him...wow.

XD I'm getting a Sha though ^^

3. I went looking and found this thread after reading Nezumi's LJ post- I had no idea so many people obsessed over others' dolls.

There was only 1 time I obsessed over another owners' dolls, and that was IEC BULLET's Vincent. It was also my first time seeing a BJD, so it's probably newbie-obsessiveness. I bought Glade eventually, and I didn't know he was an F17 (or that he was a VOLKS) until 2 days AFTER I'd got him and found this forum, haha... I'm such a noob.

But I do admire certain dolls not cos of their molds, but their character that fits their mold and face-up so well... like Jenova, Fuan, Ilu & Aulen. I think it's utterly wrong to try carbon-copy someone else's dolls though, although I admit it was my intention to get a dollfie and make him a Vincent Valentine doll, but Glade's own 'personality' just shown through, and he didn't even let me name him Vincent XD

It just felt wrong, so I'll just stick to playing happy fangirl to dolls I like, but my own dolls will always be themselves. It's hateful to think of even wanting to make them live up to someone else's dolls' image.

4. LOL you and I started with the same Obsession there [except I was drooling all over IeC Bullet's Sephiroths xD] <--made me want the F29 headmold... but once here, I had the same exact thing happen. I found out very very quickly that Jenova was in no way going to be just another Sephiroth clone -haha

Like you said, it's one thing to admire, another to out right copy. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with admiring another person's dollfie, as long as yours never turn in to carbon copies or clones.

[and so many hugs to you for liking Jenova and Fuan <3]

5. Exactly... ^_^

I absolutley adore Fuan and Jenova (Yeah, and Fanuel too, 'cranky thing-), Ilu, Ciaran, Amon, Jessen's Kai, Krissi's twins, and a whole host of others... across both current and past incarnations in a few cases. But it's impossible to copy any of those characters, even if I was inclined to. They're too individual and their evolution is too organic... That's a big part of what makes me like them in the first place.

So... I fangirl shamelessly and keep an eye out for their photosets. ^_^
      I don't want to have them, myself. I couldn't do their characters justice if I did...

But I can definitley giggle like a giddy little school-girl when I see them. :D

6. im so in love with all of morbidollz beauties, especially her kiss, id say her kiss and helenes kiss is what made me break down and buy my own <3333

7. YESS

I'm in LOVE with a doll named Il&#250;, and it's a Luts Shiwoo I think.
      I forget who the owner is on here.
      But her doll is just...*_*

And the dolls on here Key, Donovan, and Mir <3333
      I met their owner on Gaia and omg beautifulll dolls

amazing.

8. I absolutely LOVE littledemonkurai's Soda Pop Fizz. She's so unique and charming!!! ( And I think Winston likes her too.. shhhh ) :sweat

9. Il&#250; is owned by Xi-Feng. He's one of the very few Shiwoo's I like too, [Teacup and Tiamat I'm looking in your general directions..lol]

LordSesshoumaruSama You made my day! :) Thanks for your kind words about my boys... he he

10. Aww, thank you so much to everyone who mentioned my brat, here - it's still a surprise (albeit a very happy one) each time someone remembers one of my boys like that!

I'm another one who got hooked into this hobby thanks to IeC's gorgeous dolls - her very pretty Vincent, in my case - and though I'd be hesitant to say I obsess over others' dolls, there are quite a few of whom I'm very very fond: Nezumitoo's Jenova & Fuan; glassalice's girlz; Brightfires' Harumatsu; Jessen's three troublemakers; Z3Ncat's Su and Malvinas' Inanna to name only a few. I really love those dolls whose personalities shine through in the photoshoots and photostories their owners create around them, and of course that's the one part of them that can't ever be replicated by anyone else. That's what makes them special in my eyes: a pretty doll can be copied if a person has the time, money and resources to do so, but the character and personality an owner gives their doll is always going to be unique, and watching said owner exploring those things is one of my favourite parts of sharing this fandom with others.

11. IEC Bullet's dolls were simple and gorgeous, without all the dark gothic make-up too, and the effort she took to making their outfits, photo props (and eyes too, I believe) just amazed me. I'm just sad her site's been down for at least a year, or has she moved to a new domain?

I'll always love Jenova & Fuan - not only cos they're pretty in a unique way, but because of the obvious amount of effort you took into creating their relationship and backgrounds, as well as interactions in both photos and fiction - I don't have the time or skill to do what you do, but I'll always enjoy and appreciate your works, so don't stop! ^___^ (and definitely, don't let clone-wannabes try to stop you!)

12. Dollface, I really do encourage you to keep Tsukasa. I'm glad that so far you have, because he does have a finite potential to be an original someone who you can connect to. Of course, I'll admit I'm a little biased. This may sound kind of weird, but I fell in love with the original Tsukasa Konoe right off the bat when I first saw him. Sure, Luciel, Uno, Haku, Gab, etc. - they're all very brilliant. But that's the point. Tsukasa's real personality will probably jump at you in the future if he hasn't already.

Please do give a piece of your heart to him. Any piece. He's deserves a chance to be loved. Maybe I'm just selfish for wanting you to keep him because he is a Tsukasa. As stupid and selfish as this may sound, it'll make me or probably any other Tsukasa lover out there feel better knowing that every Tsukasa is/can be loved. Selfish right? :sweat

13. I fell inlove with Key (onnawufei's EL)
      annd... Nova another el (forgot his moms name ><!)

and I like Niko another El
      i'm a huge fan of el's X_X

and than i obsessed over byakuya (i...think he may belong to krissy? XD) and he's a yder...

and.. I like hayden (another el) XD but those have to be my favs <3

14. There's a few dolls that I've always admired in this hobby but I never planned on copying them. To me it's just seeing how far you can go with these dolls, what you can do and pushing yourself to be creative and truly having a doll that's one of a kind. I have my boys and I love my boys, but it's always fun to oogle over other owner's beauties.

Sabriell's Die will probably always be the prettiest doll I've ever seen and when I missed him when he was on sale I was pretty upset but I don't know if I could of owned him, I always felt that he would of been the doll to overshadow my dolls, but maybe that's just because I'm a bad owner.

There's also Pata's Audrey, who is my Kera's boyfriend. That was the doll that got me into BJDs so there's a special place in my heart for him.

wingsoffreedom's Carnage was the second El I ever saw and I was just AMAZED at how he looked, AMAZED. I still am, that is one of the most stunning dolls ever, it showed how Els can have the same face but look completely different given the right look.

And Brightfires' Tien Jen. I don't know why but I've always been very moved by pictures of him. He's got a presence that's unmatched in his hobby, but that's my own personal opinion.

15. I will forever be in love with Kessari.
      A Breakaway formerly Nepherim's but now he belongs to Brightfires.
      I covet that boy like he's some kind of savior!

16. I'm a huge fan of Valentine's kids (especially Jer and Justyn), Shan's group (mitchell...~so cute!), sabriell's boys (both are so awesomly different I can't choose >w<), Xi-feng's dolls (Ilu, omg, shiwoos always rock), and Brightfires minions as well (Harumatsu & teacups are def my favs, though they're all GORGEOUS) <3

There are also a huge group of dolls I enjoy looking at in general, they just don't pop into my head as quickly XD

17. Ahahaha *_* Here I am adding to that list of people. I was unsure at first about what doll to get, but really, Il&#250; is one of the big reasons why I finally decided upon a Shiwoo. He's just too gorgeous! I felt a bit scared that my Rooster would end up looking like him, in the beginning... But now I know, for sure, that Rooster is going to be his own doll (XD) and won't be a copy of ANYTHING. I can't wait for him to get here!

Other dolls that I'm obsessed with? ^^; Britt's Taizo, definitely! And her Nana too! Oh, and Belladonna's Casper~

18. I absolutely adore Belladonna's moon, Cillian. his character and the body art on him, everything is so absolutely beautiful. i dont know that i'm obsessed and I have no desire to create a doll like him, but he's gorgeous to look at/read about =^.^=

19. For me, I really love Pepstar's Miranda (Bella Auden). It was the one that made me say, "I'm getting a Bella Auden". Previously, I had disliked busty dolls and I don't like the default faceup.

I would never copy her doll, but I am pretty relaxed about it. If my own faceup doesn't do it for me, I can commission her and know I will get a great faceup. Luckily, I have seen a naked faced Bella and know I like the mold.

So, my suggestion is take inspiration, but not license. Don't copy the faceup. You can get a faceup you love, I'm sure!

20. Ok, I'll bite... :D I suspect there are many more cases of "what have I DONE!" than we ever hear about. The photos are the culprits. Some owners -- and manufacturers -- are so exceptionally skilled at getting the best out of their dolls that it would be hard not to fall for them. And then you receive the barenekked doll and it's "what...is THIS?"

But that's what makes this so much fun, looking at the doll and waiting for a sign... "who are you and how can I help you be your best?"

My favorite "stop and gaze in awe" doll isn't what you might expect... it's Vladimir the snake guy. Oh my. I just think he is the most amazing thing I ever ran across. Stunning, unique, and I suspect the only doll who could possibly have pulled off such a look.

What is intensely compelling about him is the love that radiates from him. What devotion had to have gone into his creation! 100% fascination. :D