1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd Sized Minis: Do you regret it?

Jul 29, 2008

?
  1. Yes

2. Slightly

3. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Though this is an old thread, I'll put my two cents on it.

That's right, having odd sized dolls really can be a nightmare. Finding clothes or shoes is a true journey of visiting websites and even sewmakers. But the best part of having this kind of dolls is that they do complement what you want in your resin family.

It is: I need a 10 years old son for my MSD sized dolls, and definitely a yo-SD sized one would not be what I was looking for, because IMHO I believe a 26cm tall doll cannot fit a character of more that 6 or 7 years old. Then I have Minoru, who is 33cm tall and fits perfectly the type of doll I need.
      Or if I need a very tall strong man I can look for bigger MSD sized dolls, for example Vito (from Souldoll), who is 52cm tall. If I only had SD sized male dolls (about 60cm) they would be TOO tall for my MSD dolls (who are all adult characters). My poor dollies would look like little kids.

So, despite all those dolls are sometimes a pain in the neck when you need to drees them and to provide them with shoes, I wouldn't change them for anything : ) Intermediate sizes allow us to extend our little families to better levels and proportions.

2. I have a CH Little Junior boy, and I adore him. He fits the character he's portraying perfectly - his older boyfriend is regular MSD size and 19 years old, so his size is perfect for a small 16-year-old. I've found that regular MSD clothes are quite easy to alter in order to fit him - I just take up the waist and hem the legs on trousers or shorts, and take in the sides and sleeves on the shirts.

3. When I got my first ABJD , Volks SDC Kaede, she was an sort of an odd size because she's a differerent build than a regular MSD. So not knowing anything else, I just plowed forward, and ended up with a couple of clothing items that weren't the right size. But as my BJD crew has grown to include more sizes, these items found a use, or I sold them. All these years later, having my "Kaede-Sugar" still brings my joy! :D

I also have Black Melody Narsha, and she fits Mattel's Teen Trend clothing line and the separates from Build-A-Bear's Friends-2B-Made line. She wears the same size wig as Volks SDC and Yo-SD, basically a 6-7 size. As for footwear, my "Angelica" is a ghost and only really has two pair of shoes, her originals, and a cool pair of sparkly green lace-up boots. I think the boots came from Custom House or Luts, but I got them years ago. And it's also been years since I measured her feet to shop for anymore shoes for her because I'm really content with what she has at the moment. :) I don't regret having her at all, as soon as I allowed myself to actually accept that this little Gothic style girl was for me, it was instant love! :love Besides, my Heath would be broken hearted at the idea of not being haunted by his dearly departed little sister. ;)

So for me, I just get what I love, and don't worry about whether they are considered an "odd size" today, because compatible clothing and accessories will turn up in their size sooner or later.

Juli DC :)

4. As the last poster said, "sooner or later" extra clothing will turn up in their size. Hopefully! I have a CS Little Jr. and Minoruworld Jr. and both are shrimps for MSD clothing and shoes. It's a good thing for them that they're so cute!

5. I have been disappointed in a couple of my odd size minis. My Rosette School of Dolls Marguerite just doesn't fit in with the others. She is very tall, but her height is all in her legs. On top she can wear clothes made for Tonner fashion dolls. Dresses, skirts and pants are too short. So far she has the outfit she came in and one that I made, and that's all.

The other disappointment is technically a tiny, but she doesn't fit in with my other tinies. Limhwa's To You Sara has a mature figure, like Barbie but shorter. She hasn't left her box since I bought her. I haven't even taken photos.

I don't want to come down as hating all odd size dolls. My Unoa Chibis are the cutest little things, even if they are hard to dress. I wouldn't part with them for anything!

6. With now the internet age that I could do my research before making a decision about the odd size bjd, if I really love it enough and did my research right I have no regret, even if it's hard to find stuff. Better to have a nude doll then kick myself later for letting it go.

7. I have quite a few odd sized dolls in general. Their available clothing choices typically isn't an issue as I make about 90% of all their clothes. Footwear, on the other hand, can be a hair-pulling, screaming event. I have an OD Tae and finding him properly fitting shoes/boots in the right style is frustrating. I've also got an RS Jun and finding him decent footwear is so irritating, I broke down and made him boots that fit and were the proper style. My FL Ruth can be a little dicey on footwear (the shoes always seem far too wide) but he's not too hard to find stuff for when compared to some of my other dolls. My IS ZhuQing has long skinny feet so while I can easily find the right length of shoe, they end up looking like he's wearing shoeboxes because they're much too wide. I actually had to sew a length of elastic over the top of his Chinese shoes so that they'd stay on his feet!