1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Friends and Dolls

Sep 10, 2010

1. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?
      A-nope. That's silly. You can't be out of place because you have a doll. Doll is irrelevant.
      Further:
      Do you ever feel like your excited talk about a new doll or new things you make or such, translates as bragging?

Nope. Not unless you're like "Oooh, look how wealthy I am, I can buy this doll..."
      If you are the only one of your offline friends who owns a doll, do you ever feel like you annoy them with your doll speak?
      I'm not the only offline friend. However, if I start talking dolls to non-doll friends, I will remind them periodically that I'll shut up if they tell me to. I do that for ALL my obsessions though.
      If you have your best friend through so much, and they start to seem to judge you on your doll hobby, even if they dont mean to come off that way. How do you react?
      Tell them to STFU on the matter of dolls, and I'll STFU on the matter as well. (literally. I'd say to "stifoo".) If they keep being judgmental, I can't allow judgmental people in my friendgroup, so...guess time to blow that relationship off.
      Defending your hobby or ways of getting money or spending the money to friends who really dont have the money for things like dolls.
      Why the heck do you have to explain your spending to anyone? :| That's just silly. They have no business how you spend your money or time.

2. When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?

I feel this way about a lot of my hobbies. It's not so much that I feel "out of place" as much as I feel frustrated when friends give me a holier-than-thou attitude just because they choose to spend the same amount of money on more widely accepted (but equally "pointless" and "frivolous") things like overpriced handbags or video games. I hate the "why do you spend money on that stuff?" question because they should know the answer already. It's the same reason they spend an excessive amount of money on the things that make them happy. Why can't people respect that different people like different things? I don't like some of the things they like, but I don't make fun of them for it. I know they don't mean to hurt my feelings, they're usually just kidding around, but I still feel "singled out" because of it. Maybe I should stop pretending it doesn't bother me. That might be part of the problem.

3. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?
      No. Most of my friends also like and collect dolls, so it's a moot point.

Do you ever feel like your excited talk about a new doll or new things you make or such, translates as bragging?
      No. Not unless it's said meanly, like "oh, poor you not having any money this month while I spent XXX on this!" But that's true for any hobby, not just BJDs.

If you are the only one of your offline friends who owns a doll, do you ever feel like you annoy them with your doll speak?
      Nah, my cosplay babble is far more annoying than any doll babble! Most of my offline friends either collect dolls, or at least like playing with mine.

If you have your best friend through so much, and they start to seem to judge you on your doll hobby, even if they don't mean to come off that way. How do you react?
      I would just remind them that I don't judge them on THEIR hobbies, so please do not judge mine.

Defending your hobby or ways of getting money or spending the money to friends who really don't have the money for things like dolls.
      It's none of my friends' business how I spend my money. My money, my life, my CHOICE.

4. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?

I do with one of my best friends and don't with the other. The first thinks dolls are creepy, and a waste of money, but the other likes them for their artistic value. It isn't really any different from how they treat me about my other hobbies, like cosplay.

Oh man, definitely. So while I feel excited and want to talk, I limit myself to such things with my 'doll friends.' Or my sister, because she's used to my weird habits, and cosplays with me, so she... 'understands' things better than my friends.

Defending your hobby or ways of getting money or spending the money to friends who really dont have the money for things like dolls.
      I find this question does come up a lot, but it's never been a problem to defend from. Yes, I do spend a lot of money on dolls and such, but unlike the average university student, I don't go out drinking and clubbing, and I don't smoke anything. When I told this to my mother after she asked me this question, it stopped her pretty much dead in her tracks because she had never though of it like that. Personally, i'd just rather spend my money on things that I really want, than waste it to get drunk.

5. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?

With two of them..... absolutely YES. One of them tolerates him, the other HATES him.

Depends, I can't tell anyone when I get a new doll, because I'm unemployed and technically have no money to spend, but I do anyways. As for making things, my parents are happy, but when I show my non BJD friends, one thinks I do good, the other leaves the room.

I have another friend who owns one, so we get our dolly speak out through her.

If you have your best friend through so much, and they start to seem to judge you on your doll hobby, even if they dont mean to come off that way. How do you react?

This is happening now. It's not that she's judgemental, but it's because she HATES him. She comes over, and wants him either put in his box, or out of sight. It irritates me immensely. I asked her to help PICK fabric for a cosplay for him, and she just turned away.

I don't have money, end of story. XD

--EDC

6. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?

No, never. I'm an older collector, so there's no perceived jealousy or disapproval from my friends. We all collect and do different things and I'm no more out of place for my dolls than my friend Russ is for his Egyptian artifact collection or my sister's antique book collection. We all appreciate them for what they are.

I AM bragging!

Actually, sometimes. But, if I sense they're getting annoyed, I quit talking about it. No harm, no foul.

I don't care. They're entitled to their opinion. Besides, none of my friends have done that nor would they. It's just a non-issue.

Again, it's a non-issue. And even if it were, I'm not about to feel guilty for what I can or can't afford. I work for my money and I'll spend it however I please.

7. Question: When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?

Occasionally. Most of my friends are hard core musicians or equestrians so its pretty awkward when bringing them up in normal conversation.

No. Its pretty normal to express excitement over receiving something new. I love talking about a new doll. I just make sure that I bring them up at appropriate times.

I mainly dont talk about them to offline friends. They all know that Im the weird one who brings a doll with her everywhere. SO I dont feel the need to talk non-stop about them. I will however express my interest in them if it comes up in conversation.

I just brush it off. My friends dont really understand my interest in them. I mean, if there being exceptionally mean/crude I will ask them to stop. But I dont get confrontational about it.

I work hard for my money. Its my decision. I can chose weather or not to spend my money on something. Its not like Im overspending or neglecting my other financial expenses and hobbies (my horses, and my music).

8. When it comes to your friends, do you ever feel completely out of place because of your dolls?
      No. I have made friends in the hobby that I talk to about dolls (and other stuff). Non doll-hobby friends just hear about the other stuff.

No. The group of doll friends I'm in all get really excited when we get a new doll (with good reason). We all understand the general excitement, and frequently it's shared to an extent.

I don't go into depth with doll discussion with those who aren't fellow hobbyists. I don't care about their level 80 WoW paladin; they don't care about my Volks girl.

I simply wouldn't bring up dolls. There are plenty of other things to do together. Hiking, watching a movie, pillow and pantie fights...

9. I have a lot of friends but I never mention my hobbies to them anymore or ever have. It started when I got into anime and no one I know even to this day likes it which is a bit upsetting but I've dealt with it and went to conventions on my own. People in my student house didn't like my dolls but the guys I live with now are much more interested in them but it's not like they'd get into the hobby. The price negotiation is always a negative! I avoid it a lot!
      Talking about dolls wouldn't be bragging unless you do it in a context that pushes it in their face when they don't really care for the hobby.
      Not many people I know have a hobby so I feel quite content that I do. Makes me proud to be who I am.